Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oct 2012 Rod & Custom - Riley Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Jul 19, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Got the new R&C this afternoon and was completly blown away by Don Smith's 32 roadster (p63-64). Other than the Illudium 236 (Riley Overhead V-8), this car has easily moved to the head of the pack, benchmark-wise, for the kind of A on Deuce rails I'd like to build. Lordy, what a fine ride. There are some other nice cars in the magazine, too, but I'm sure loving this one the best. Gary

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. It was a contender for the AMBR this year. Very nicely done.

Mick

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mick,
    I remember seeing the AMBR coverage this year, but for some reason a photo here and there posted on the show threads or in the other magazines didn't impact me the way this photo spread does. I have just gotten new glasses, but the prescription didn't change that much! Gary

4. yeah, neat car. Anyone know more about the driveshaft mounted alternator? That is a neat touch, and also a cleaver way to tidy up your engine bay. Even if you don't have a Riley 8 in your car! :D

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's a contemporary kit, most hot rod shops can get them. I doubt one would keep working for long on a street car thru rain, dust, mud, etc..

And since they don't charge while the car is stopped, you need a stripped down rod with no A/C, or big radiator fan, or other heavy loads that would normally still be drawing power at idle - or you would put a big drain on the battery. Gary

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Actually it's not a kit. We made it from scratch. It was a pain though. Battery never stayed charged cause that car isn't driven.

If anyone has any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

7. ETravis

ETravis

I saw this '32 in Louisville this past weekend and was blown away! It was by far my favorite of the show. Very well done! In my opinion it should have won AMBR. It was awesome standing around the engine and no one knew what it was. As you can see I don't post much but I just had to for this build.