Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

2. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

One of the best looking 67 Plymouths ever.

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Chuck,this is Bill Shirly's the Professor

4. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

The Professor

Attached Files:

• prof.jpg
      prof.jpg
      File size:
      429.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

Another shot of the Professor that I pulled from another site.

Attached Files:

6. WCD

WCD

Note the class desgination enscribed on the window of the El Camino. It reads "AA/F" Did he run the altered on fuel? I know he ran a 71 Cuda F/C but was unaware that he ran the fuel altered class.

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks for the info! Is it my imagination or is this a car with the 2% rear axle adjustment?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Good catch on the AA/F designation. That's what I get for posting these late at night! I'd go with this being a fuel car, but just don't remember for sure. Might have gone the fuel route to avoid having to clash with Cody Parr's AA/A all the time, but that's just speculation on my part.

9. Larry T

Larry T

AA/F was a dragster class, AA/FA would have been fuel altered. I'm guessing part of the A got rubbed out to look like a F or he jumped classes like some of the early funnycars for some reason.

Edit: Wouldn't that car with a small block be a little heavy for the AA/F class? Seems like the funnycars (with Hemis) usually ran in one of the lower fuel classes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. 4406

from Oklahoma

partsrivit, if you can post any pic's of Grotheer's 66 Plymouth sedan would be great.

11. partsrivet

partsrivet

12. now partsrivet rocks!

13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Talking stories from Irwindale -

A friend and I were standing at the fence on the pit side. As Mazooma notes, just a chain link fence between the return/fireup road and the pits.

Anyway, standing there while a night full of Fuel Altereds ran, was a great day..but.

Early in the day while standing there, I don't recall who it was...but as a AA/FA fired up JUST as it went by us, it blew an exhaust valve head out of the engine...went between my friend and I and hit a guy behind us and sliced his leg open pretty good. We both felt "something" go by our lower legs.
    We later found the valve head stuck in one of the trash cans (55 gal. oil drums). We tried, but couldn't get it out with our bare hands.

A night to remember.

Mike

14. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

15. skywolf

skywolf

A couple more of Mr Norm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. WCD

WCD

I take note that the 68 Charger seen parked in the warehouse features what would some day be the way to construct an F/C cage-dragster cocoon style, while 70 era model depicted below it has the soon to be abandoned Logghe square style ( I know no other way of referencing it.) Looks like the 70 model got some scratches too-Maybe it received them in the shopping mall parking lot when an errant shopping cart collided into it.

17. axe grinder

axe grinder

18. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Sick of a kool MoPar S/Ser?!? NEVER!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

19. rick finch

rick finch

:D

[​IMG]

20. Like this picture. Looks like the guy is barely touching the side of the car, as if the car is moving away from him. At that angle I wonder if he fell over.:eek:

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Bet he did. We used to slosh bleach under the rear tires, don't know exactly why any more because water worked just as well, but you could tell if we had been to the races Sunday morning because we had bleach spots all over our clothes.
    Tom S. in Tn.

23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

I recall this car. An innovative individual built car without factory backing. He made local promoters tons of bucks drawing in the crowds match racing back in the day.
    Tom S.

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Buttera made the first deep chassis (dragster style cocoon cockpit) altered-f/c and revolutionized those cars more than Garlits Swamp Rat XIV did dragsters. Tom S. in Tn.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Tom,
    Which car was the first?

We had a discussion about the first narrow chassis (headers over the frame rails) funnycar a while back and the earliest I was able to come up with was the 70 Ramchargers car.

26. post pics of ANY grotheer plymouth PLEASE

27. WCD

WCD

Was that when Buttera was part of R & B Race Cars out of what...Wisconsin?

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

no doubt been posted here over the years, but I really like this period, the first years of the floppers...
    Irwindale and one whompin' Mopar.....when they looked like street cars.
    Two "In 'n Out" cheesburgers, one large Coke and tons of nitro....ah, the smell of that joint with the burger stand fired up...!!!!

[​IMG]

29. 296ardun

296ardun

Tom may know more than me, but I think it was after he moved to California, first one I remember was Mickey Thompson's blue Mustang that Danny O drive, though there might have been earlier ones...

30. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, as I've said before, could hear them in the Sierra Madre canyon probably 20 miles away, even when they idled back to the line from the first burnout---

Think that this green car is Nelson Carter's that Steve Bovan drove, high-dollar car that ran pretty well...