Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pebble Beach 2012...BIG NEWS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Jul 18, 2012.

1. PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE INTRODUCES ​
    ITS FIRST SPORT CUSTOMS CLASS ​
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Photos: [URL="http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001pF586xKXt9vKX1OZBbzJ8igMYd2OR0Rp3S0Cu4fKIXwsV5gKSURvsAO0fbuAHz1pvGAduGCp5wz6h0P83g7XoQ-14Gs9Hl-rXVsoXlNyC6TVUpibvXy4YWdXr6mwT-uxK0ZLcwwfAOn7seyKgcjvY2YXTkSYjcWJOVCTdXv-Bvcb4nmQScxyd8LWIayQGTpTk2o8uBmW6zvB2pNwbL3fCD9xibBkfm4mA8pbTzod3iojmjGYEygsIv-ja7s_h1r6FCZwMfal7bTqzeSZQ4bfQx2k4UIYL-izaUahTG8AyhbpKYEXnTWCc_6Po1eXb7blkEn35c2HCDNlN2x105CCHD2n7HOeAen4y8R8TVILxbTk1t96RSqGyhT0DQzWQmLndETAoxA_zjs="]http://pebblebeachconcours.net/pages/3017/index.htm[/URL]
    [B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B] [FONT=times new roman]Contact: Michaela Bates [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman](831) 622-1700 [/FONT][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B]
    [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B]
    [B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B] [LEFT][LEFT][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B] [LEFT][LEFT][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B] [B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][B][B][COLOR=#0000ff][B][B][B][B]([U]mbates[EMAIL="[email protected]"]@pebblebeachconcours.net[/EMAIL])[/U][/B][/B][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B]
    [B][B][FONT=times new roman][B][B][B][B][B][COLOR=#0000ff][B][B][U][B][/B][/U][/B][/B][/COLOR][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B]
    [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/LEFT][/LEFT]
    [/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/LEFT][/LEFT]
    [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]​
    <table style="margin-bottom:6px;" id="yiv1611208208content_LETTER.BLOCK5" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%" border="0"><tbody id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232363"><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232362"><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232361" style="text-align:left;font-family:Times, serif;color:#333333;font-size:11pt;" rowspan="1" colspan="1" align="left">
    PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (July 17, 2012) -- One-off Sport Customs designed to turn heads while tooling down Main Street USA will roll onto the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links for the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on August 19.
    This year, for the very first time, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is hosting an entire class dedicated to Sport Customs.

"These are one-of-a-kind cars built in the US, on modified American production chassis with American engines by individuals, designers and craftsmen," explains automotive historian Ken Gross, a member of the committee that vets and selects the Concours entries. "Although the word sport connotes adroit handling, for the most part these cars were stylish boulevard cruisers, designed to be seen and admired, not to win races."

"The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance continues to expand alongside the growing interests of enthusiasts," says Concours Chairman Sandra Button. "It is important for us to stay in tune with the interests of the people who create, love, and care for these special cars, and it is always interesting to host something new and different."

Each car competing in the new Sport Customs class comes with a personal story and history like no other. Take, for example, the story of Seward Allen's 1940 Coachcraft Roadster.

Seward Allen was just a high school student when he dreamed up this car. He developed the idea while in auto shop class, where the chassis and running gear were constructed with the help of his classmates. Unbeknownst to his parents, Allen later commissioned Coachcraft, Ltd., to complete his vision. The result was a sleek and modern design paired with shiny navy blue paint and an orange pigskin interior. With low doors, no top and no side windows, this car is the definition of a California Roadster.

"It's a very beautifully designed car," says Martin Cousineau, who, with his wife Michelle, is its current owner. "There isn't a sharp corner on it. It has integrated curves and compound curves, which are all the more remarkable because this is an all power-hammered and hand-hammered steel construction."

To complement its innovative look, the Roadster included features far ahead of its time. The body was welded to the chassis to form a strong and rigid unibody. With a Ford flathead V8 engine installed in its light sports roadster body, it was a forerunner of designs like the famous Shelby Cobra that appeared many years later. Celebrated in its own right, this Roadster soon appeared on the cover of Trend Book 101, Custom Cars.

In November 1950 -- the very same month that the inaugural Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance took place -- this sport custom strutted its stuff at the first Petersen Motorama in Los Angeles. Now things come full circle as Seward Allen's 1940 Coachcraft Roadster competes with eight other Sport Customs at the forthcoming Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The class also includes the very first Coachcraft creations, the Vince Gardner Special, the Paul Omohundro Special, the Norman Timbs Special, another Emil Diedt Roadster made for Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, the Templeton Saturn Special, the Maverick Sportster and the Bentas "Raven" Convertible.

In addition to Sport Customs, the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance will feature Cars of the Maharajas, Mercer, Fiat, Saoutchik Coachwork, AC and AC (Shelby) Cobra and German Motorcycles. Information and tickets are available at www.pebblebeachconcours.net.

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="margin-bottom:6px;" id="yiv1611208208content_LETTER.BLOCK3" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%" border="0"><tbody id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232389"><tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232388"><td id="yui_3_2_0_1_13425896006232387" style="TEXT-ALIGN:left;FONT-FAMILY:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;COLOR:#333333;FONT-SIZE:9pt;" rowspan="1" colspan="1" align="left"> ---
    First conducted in 1950, Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance® (www.pebblebeachconcours.net) has grown to be the world's premier celebration of the automobile. Only the most beautiful and rare cars are invited to appear on the famed 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links®, and connoisseurs of art and style flock to see these masterpieces. Charitable donations raised by Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance® now total over $15 million. Related events include Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance™ presented by Rolex, Pebble Beach RetroAuto™, and Pebble Beach® Auctions presented by Gooding & Company. Pebble Beach®, Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance®, Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance™, and Pebble Beach RetroAuto™ are trademarks, service marks and trade dress of Pebble Beach Company. All rights reserved.

Pebble Beach Company, headquartered in Pebble Beach, Calif., owns and operates the world-famous Pebble Beach Resorts®, including The Lodge at Pebble Beach™, The Inn at Spanish Bay™ and Casa Palmero®. The company also operates four renowned golf courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Spyglass Hill® Golf Course, The Links at Spanish Bay™ and Del Monte™ Golf Course. Its other famed properties include scenic 17-Mile Drive® and The Spa at Pebble Beach™, and it annually hosts premier events such as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance®, AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, Callaway Pebble Beach Invitational, Pebble Beach Food & Wine and Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach. Site of the 2019 U.S. Open Championship, Pebble Beach Golf Links® has hosted five U.S. Opens, four U.S. Amateurs, one PGA Championship and numerous other tournaments. For reservations or more information please call (800) 654-9300 or visit www.pebblebeach.com.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking forward to your photo coverage as in past years. Have a good time. Bob

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a good year to be out on the Lawn. Sorry I can't be there and looking forward to the coverage.

4. I'll be there. My wifes grandfathers ardun flathead powered glasspar g2 has just been fully restored to original race spec and will be on display.

5. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. A big thanks to Bruce Meyer for hounding the PB committee back in the 90's until they started letting something other than brass era restorations onto the lawn.

7. Great news! Glad to hear that Art Bentas' custom will be featured there. I remember when I first saw this car at Joe Kizis' Autorama in Hartford CT in the late 1950's. One of the most spectacular customs I have ever seen and as I recall built in a chicken coop at Art's place in Chelmsford MA. Great that it is still around.

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It's the Saoutchik Coachwork exhibit that's got my attention.

9. I can't wait to see your pics! I wish I could go.

10. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I love this, the color, the shape, etc...but the front wheel well is killing me.
    [​IMG]

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should be interesting.
    The Hemings link shows the Seward Allen Coachcraft roadster in one photo and it rivals most of the sports cars out of Europe at the time for looks.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone should photoshop the blue roadster Blackmaria60 posted in post 11 and enlarge the front wheel openings and make the rear openings more graceful than the square corners on the skirts (skirts ok but not the square corners) .

13. Here's my father inlaws dad, Warren Gerdes (at the back of the car with hand on hip ), mother (leaning over the fence) and the Mameco Ardun Glasspar G2 (Warren was the driver) at Pebble Beach road race in 1953.

[​IMG]

14. SimonSez

SimonSez

Wow, that's cool that you have a family connection to such a cool car!

I was just reading though my old Honk magazines in the last couple of days and there is a feature on that car in one of them, so was searching for it to see if it was still around and this came up.

Do you have any current pics?

15. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Couldnt agree more, we can all learn a thing or two from the old master coach builders.

16. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

We are so honored to be going to Pebble Beach with The Raven and Arthur Bentas. The car has been in California since the 2011 GNRS, having spent most of the time since GNRS at the Petersen Museum. I went out to CA a few weeks ago when it was removed from display to take the car for a ride and get it ready for PB.

We head out tomorrow for CA and will be driving the car on the Tour d'Elegance on Thursday, then the show at PB on Sunday. Arthur, at a spry 89, will be holding court next to his beloved Raven. Stop by to say hello.

Joe

Attached Files:

17. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Iso Rivolta at :50?? Lot of VERY cool stuff in that video...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  19. Pebble beach is on my bucket list! Looking forward to see the photos from Sunday.

20. One of the best experiences ever when we took Frank Morawski's 27 T to Pebble Beach in 2012. Standing on the green as the cars came onto the field was really an exciting moment. I second the thanks to Bruce Meyer, and Ken Gross for the foresight to get this side of the automotive spectrum before the public.

21. Choptop

Choptop

Art was VERY gracious and spent LOTS of time explaining to Jonny Kola and I about all that he did to build this amazing car.

[​IMG]

22. Art was a great guy....spent a while chatting with him....

Saw your huge hat several times too Alan

23. Choptop

Choptop

One of the best stories he told was about constructing the floating headlights and surrounds. The hand formed, welded and leaded the headlight fender extensions on, welded on a wire at the edge to form the nice rolled end and was busy working forming some stainless for the headlight buckets when his sister-in-law stopped in to the chicken coop where he was building the car... and she looked at the headlight holes and knew just what to do. She went into the kitchen and returned with a pair of angle food cake pans... they fit into the holes PERFECTLY. Art cut the bottom out of them, polished them and fit them to the car. DONE!

[​IMG]

p.s... before you rack your brain trying to figure out what the headlights are from... they are off a snowplow.

:D

24. Choptop

Choptop

And thanks to Joe for being a gracious host as well. Lots of good stories from both of you. Good talking with you Joe.

25. Choptop

Choptop

Jonny K and I gettin schooled by a master.

[​IMG]

26. that is one smooth ride!