Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have a picture of your 67 from the 72 US Nationals. If I remember correctly it was on a ramp truck. If one of my kids stops by I'll have them post it up. That car was a bad..s A/S car! Tom,

2. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I'm the guy who bought the '64 Galaxie sedan from your Dad back in 1983. The original owner was Don Crapsy. He was a mechanic at Ricart Ford in Columbus Ohio.

3. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Hi I am still looking for info and pictures of a 1957 chevy sedan delivery raced in Jr.Stock [ K&L Stock ] Jackson South Carolina area at Jackson Drag Strip in the late 60s early 70s by a Jimmy Overstreet it was named Iron Horse. Thank You Keith

4. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Are there any pics in this thread of a 65 G/S Mustang with Pony Express on it?

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

Someone asked about this car a while back and here is another picture of it. This view is of Don Stephenson of the Tension Team running at Tulsa in September of 1967. Looks like Jim Hayter's E/S on the other side. [​IMG]

6. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

The 1958 Furys had a 350 cu in "B"block engine that was regularly mistaken for the larger 361/383. They had two Carter AFBs and were rated at 305 HP, you can tell them by the valve cover that only had 4 bolts, not the usual 6 as seen on later Chrysler "B" engines....My friend had one he stumbled across at a used car lot for CHEAP!! It was rough looking but ran good after a carb rebuild and tune-up...this was in about 1965-66. Not much from a standing start, but from even a slight roll he was really hard on many GTOs and Mustangs of the day!

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

I keep seeing NHRA in a lot of posts --for all the good they might have done they get too much credit---during the glory days of fuel dragsters they weren't racing on nhra tracks --came to the game late on funnies, pro-mods ---But they deserve all the credit for killing junior stock when they dropped it in the mid60's--great class great cars all alike yet different loved them then and now---MOKAN been around 50 yrs --saw all the touring pros --weekly top fuel show featuring many national champion fuelers--some of the best funny fields anywhere --simple easy to meet and understand AHRA rules for gas and stock classes--some great jr stockers with those heavy flywheels and screaming RPMs--I was at TULSA when NHRA announced they were dropping jrs man it was sad in the pits--nuff said --probably too much--more pics please

8. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

Yea i got some. I just painted it again a few years ago. Here is one I took just after dad had it lettered and put the stickers back on.

Attached Files:

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks for the info Joe. It was pretty much as I remembered except for the engine size. That one at Indy is the only I recall seeing race but there must have been others.

partsrivet Chuck

10. 67goingthing

67goingthing

One of my best Friends owned the Wheel City Super Stock Fairlane that is a sister to your car. Danny Girolomo passed away last fall and never got to finish the car however. His Wife still has it and will be for sale before too long.

[​IMG]

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

BREMERTON RACEWAY!!!!! I knew I'd seen than car before; I was probably there that day. I went on to become a member of the Handlers Racing Association for 4 years, 88-92. That all volunteer/non-profit group has operated Bremerton Raceway since 1959. It used to be a completely portable drag strip; everything had to be set up and taken down with each race, as it was on an FAA condemned runway. Now, it's more or less a permanent facility, complete with tower (though it's still on wheels), and concrete Jersey Barriers. Unfortunately, it will succumb to the FAA's will, and will go away; hopefully it'll take a few more years. Butch/56sedandelivery.

One more thing, that tower in the photo was torched in a vandalism arson. The current tower is built on the same rolling platform.

12. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

Yea,,,I remember that car. The same guy painted the Flames on that one as mine. Hatton was his name if I remember correctly. Not sure when Danny drove it. John Cseh told me he drove that car some in Super Stock. I dont know if he bult the Stocker after that or if they were racing at the same time. Seems like he said he built the Stocker in 1977 or 76. Jack McCormick, Tony Rinero, Jack Roush, Mike Pulstelney, were all the guys who were around when I went to Michigan to visit in those days. Man those were some of the best days I ever had.

13. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

This is just a few months before dad bought the ZOOOOOMER! 1978 Spring Nationals runner-up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

YES!

biscaynes is right!....keep on posting partsrivet!!!

Thank you!

15. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I agree.

16. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Sorry to say I only have a few more Jr Stock pictures to post. Better than nothing I suppose.

One of the regulars on the Div IV point chase was Jim Hayter from Cushing OK in his E/S 57. Here he's racing against (I believe) Walter Solomon in his aptly named 'Solomons Chariot' F/S wagon. Think both were powered by 270 hp 283s. Hayter must have liked the wagon for the following year (1968) he had one of his own.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7930423&postcount=32739
    Jim went on to race Camaro's but I don't know what became of Solomon or his car.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. theHostage

theHostage

There was the Lairson, Mentzer and Kowal 1955 chevy sedan

18. theHostage

theHostage

But some of us had the front wheels narrowed! Oops!

19. theHostage

theHostage

Isn't that Carmen Rotunda?

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The black car looks like Gene McDanial from Tulsa.

21. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's another 57 convertible (appears to be a J/SA) running against a J/SA 55. This was at the same meet at the 2 57's above. What were the odds of 3 57 ragtops at one race? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  22. Chipper

Chipper

Ed Hamburger (Spelling) not Hamberger

23. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

Gary, I was told that Dianna's wagon was bought from Bill Osborn. Is that correct?

24. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Way better than nothing and thank you for what you have previously posted! Even if you never posted another picture, you have already contributed more to this thread than I ever have. Thank you again partsrivet.

Eddie

25. gary55

gary55

I think junior stock came from the eliminator brackets in the 60s. There was top fuel down to supper stock eliminator and then stock elimanator. A/s, A/sa down to M/s or something like that. If you won the class at a national event say in D/s you could run in the eliminator bracket. The handicap came from the national record et in your class. You could go as quick as you could no bump out, but if you couldnt run on the national record you probably couldnt win. So these cars were the fastest in their classes and it took some brains to win this. It was a lot of fun and people who did this learned a lot about building cars.

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Fri nite at Muncie on Nationals weekend was like a "Mini-Nationals" - many people went up there for this "Indy" tune-up race!!

27. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I believe so. Lost contact with John about a year ago.

28. cockerham

cockerham

Added to the list should be Charles Cockerham and Bill Jefferis (57 Chevrolet) under Ed Sielski's Performance Center

29. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

It was me who was asking about TENSION. Thanks for posting a great pic, never seen that before.
    If I ever sold my orange 57 & got another, I'd build a clone :D

30. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

FANTASTIC PHOTOS!
    I'm going out on a limb that the Galaxie at Indy is "The Quiet One" B/FX driven by Jerry Harvey.
    FORDBFXGALAXIEquietones-vi.jpg