Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Nash Metro Owners Out There..Show Your Stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shermanator, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron

Damn Shermanator! That is nice! My wife is already asking me what kind of engine swaps we can do. Haha. So now comes the fun.

2. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

P4021026.jpg

,,,,mines still waiting for attention,,,it will be soon I promise,,,,

3. zgears

zgears

deleted

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. belair

belair

I've got a 61 and am interested in the easiest engine and automatic trans swap.

5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not mine, but I like it (and it's fast)
    [​IMG]

6. weez

weez

I used to drive one from LBC to Art Center every day, pain in the ass electricals but fun- It did good burnouts-

7. No engine swap is easy on a Met. If you're looking for a little more power, a Ford or Chevy V6 with overdrive is good because of the 4.22 gear in the Met. Now you have to look at the brake system, small shoes, single master cylinder. The list keeps growing, mainly for saftey.

8. Saw this guy driving Northbound in MI on our way to Grand Haven:

[​IMG]

9. jreeder41

jreeder41

Baron was that the car in Hot Rod from the Ohio mile race?

10. metalman

metalman

No pics on this computer and I know it's not what you had in mind but I had a Metro in the shop last year that someone had put over a whole Chevette floor/ chassis/ running gear. They widened the body 5" and streched it 17" (had the back seat) to do it. It was kinda neat as far as keeping everone scratching their head on what it was. Owner had me swap in a 400 Pontiac, actually fit preety good.

11. 52lomofo

52lomofo

here's one from atlantic nationals on the weekend

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.
    [​IMG]

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Went to an event on weekend and saw what appeared to be an OEM RHD Nash Metro. Always loved them, wish I got photo as there wouldn't be too many around these days.

14. jreeder41

jreeder41

We have a customer in england that owns a couple like that. They didn't produce those until 1957 for the british empire market.

15. Zandoz

Zandoz

I would so love to find a cheap structurally sound Met coupe locally. It would probably be the one the few cars that could derail me from my T modified/bucket intent.

16. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

here's one i have. i bought a ford pinto and was going to put the drivetrain in it, with the air cond too. front suspension won't fit without narrowing the cross member to where the oil pan would sit on it. i don't want to buy after market tubular arms either. so i might just go with the stock front and put disc on it instead. i would like to use the ford rear end but i can't see how to use the little metro wheels on it. the pinto drums are as big as the metro wheels. other than just use the metro rear, any ideas?
    [​IMG]

17. Well, I just got done with the wife's Met. First narrow the Pinto Rear end 10 1/4"..I used the Pinto wheels, but if you want to use the Met hub caps, you will need to remove the rivets (or get new ones), make a pattern. drill hole in the Pinto wheels & weld rivets on. I cut the Met control arms in half so the part would still fit the met body, other half is Mustang 2 or Pinto (the same). One thing to remember is when you use the pinto or mustang wheels, they are 1 inch wider than the Met & your turning radius will be shorter because of no front fender opening. If I was to do it all over again, I would get a mustang front suspension & narrow it to fit the Met.
    The oil pan I used is off a Mercuy Capri (Rear Sump) worked well.
    If I can help with any questions or pics, let me know. I would be glad to help.
    Good luck. :cool:

18. Sorry to revive a dead thread but I'm researching a future project and I'm wondering about engine swaps. Are all of you guys putting these on custom tube frames or is there a motor and auto trans combo that the stock unibody can handle??

19. I have one with a 2.0 Ford. Seen several with V6 engines in them with the stock unibody. You will need to upgrade the braking system.

20. If you're using the Pinto engine, get a oil pan & pump out of a Mercury Capri...they are rear sump.

21. I'm thinking that the 4 cylinder Pontiac would be a sweet swap, the half 389.

Or maybe a straight axle, nailhead, radiused wheel wells.

22. krooser

krooser

here's one that was built for Al Gore...

Attached Files:

23. Any engine you decide to use is good, as long as its not jap junk:cool:

24. Little photoshop job from a while back. Nash Cobra anyone?

[​IMG]

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hey, I recognize that one! I couldn't get 50Fraud to go for it, though.

I always thought a Metro coupe with a 2.8L V6 and a 5-speed would be a cool little commuter.

26. Burlens

Ooops- just noticed this was brought back from the dead...

27. That thing looks like a Cobra mated with a Sunbeam Tiger. I'm not really a fan of Nash's in any form, but I like that one.

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most likely not, I had a 55 ragtop when I was in high school and my first year of trade school and that Pontiac banger is too frigging big to fit without hacking on the Metro.

Personally I'd run something like the 2.0 Ford or a 2 TC Toyota banger. The little sidewinder 1600 16 valve 130 hp banger in my 92 Geo Prism GSI would scream in on of those if you could hook it to a rear wheel drive conventional trans.

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

my mommy had one back in 1959