Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Laughed at Today at the parts counter!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I went into a local Autozone just outside of post to pickup a new set of points for my 63 Econoline. When the guy at the counter asked what year make and model I told him 63 ford Econoline...He stopped what he was doing turned to me and starting laughing saying we are not going to have any parts for that.
    I told him I had already checked online and that the part I need was listed as in stock at the store. I then had to help him find it on their system. He was amazed that they had that part in stock..

2. Blackie

Blackie

The counter people are becoming more and more ignorant.

Sent from a pay phone

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I have found that although the price is a little higher Napa and carquest are the only parts stores that do not hire their counter guys from mcdonalds......If you Go to Oriely, parts america, or Autozone....You better bring part numbers with you. I am not picking on these companys, Just telling it like it is.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Eastern Pa Napa stores if owned by Quaker Cities, have the best parts guys you can get for $7.50/ hr. Local Carquest is good.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Autozone is the biggest piece of crap auto parts store there is.

even the "good " parts store has some winners... dude at one store had no idea what a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end was. I needed a gasket to install the pumpkin and he wanted to sell me a rear cover gasket. I told him the gears drop out like a Ford 9", there is no back cover. Didn't know what a Ford 9" was either.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You should have just told him the Autozone part number since you had already done the homework to find if they carried it. Nowadays I just walk in and say I want part number such-and-such. The wonder of the internet.

7. I would bet that you are amazed at the personnel they have at the store.:)

8. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Try trying to get parts for an edsel from them i had to get new points and a valve cover gasket took me 5 minutes to explain it was a make of car. Guy asked me if it was european or something lol

9. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I will drive a few extra miles past most of those stores to get to Napa just for that reason. Even if they dont have it they know what it is. Look it up on line and have it sent to the store of your choosing. The store will call you and confirm when it will be there and you pay for it when you pick it up! Saves a lot of wasted time at the counter training counter help! Just bought a starter for a 53 Chevy truck with the foot starter switch and they had it!

10. The Zone here in Raytown has the parts that he needs listed on the computer. Sometimes the counter people need a key word for a search but any competent mechanic should have some idea what he wants.

Now as far as O'Rielly's that is an entirely different story. Last time I was in there I had to help the fella spell what I was after. He couldn't read or write. The manager thanked me for helping him and lost a customer, if I wanted to find my own parts I'd get a job doing it.

11. pq55

pq55

Your always better to bring your parts # with you,it will save couple trip or blank stare. Rockauto is good for that.I showed it to my local carquest and now they use it for searching vintage part#.
    Pat

12. You shouldn't have gone up to the counter lookin' like this...............

[​IMG]

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

14. If your lucky enough to find the right part don't try to pay for it with cash.....they don't know how to count out your change even after the computer tells them how much it is!

15. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Isn't there already another thread bashing the McPartsStores somewhere on here?

16. b-bob

b-bob

I had the same problem last week when i asked for a rad cap. I was dealing with a middle aged woman who didn't have a clue that some caps fit more than one car.
    Finally the manager came out and set her straight.

As for giving change, try giving them the coins over the dollar amount so you get paper money back and watch their faces. Throws them right off, now they have to think.

17. The giys at my AutoZone don't bat an eye anymore when I come in asking for parts from a '87 Camaro, '82 Chevy truck, '65 Mustang, '69 Oldsmobile...

One time they asked me "How many cars do you have?"

I said "one"... it just has parts from all of them

18. bb1970

bb1970

I try to buy what I can from Rock Auto. Then you don't deal with the counter folk. Old stuff is kinda tuff on there though.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I always hear how great NAPA is but here the guys are at least as stupid as Autozone, and less friendly. Carquest? Lots of outdated items, some still with paper price stickers, and they all smoke cigs which they try to hide when a customer walks in.

O'Reilly is probably slightly better than the rest, and I mean slightly. One thing I like - they will order a part for you over the phone. You don't have to go pay for it in advance like you do at Autozone, so it saves a trip. And if you decide you don't want it they couldn't care less if you tell them to return it.

20. deto

deto

oh goody... another parts store thread...

21. Not to stereotype (ignorance comes in all ages), but how old was the counter dude?

22. Surprised if the AZ guy even knew what points were!

To join the rant, the best way is to come in with P/N's already. Second best is you figure out what donor car you can use to get what you want. That way they can plug the info into the computer.

23. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

I refuse to deal with autozone.. All they know how to do is sit on their thumbs and sniff em, advanced auto puts me on hold and forgets and orilleys just sends me behind the counter.. I remember going in napa and car quest back in the day with dad when they took pride in knowing everything.. (and I'm only 26) It's not the stores that have faltered, it's the bumbling, iPhone in the face, txting while driving generation amongst us now.. I asked how much a core charge was on a caliper, heard the clicking then 3 minutes later was asked "sir, what's the heater core going in?":mad:

24. Try telling them you want a 7/16 exhaust pushrod for a 427 Chevy ---- like so many others here I would advise you to look up your own part numbers online - sometimes you're pleasantly surprised. I needed a fuel sender for an O/T F-350 ($489 at dealer) and found it at Amazon for $307 - it arrived in a Ford box with the Ford parts tag right on it.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Have you ever noticed that 80% of your posts are bitching about threads ? :confused:

Don

26. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Autozone- aka "UH-OH ZONE"

27. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

I used to call it Auto-zoo!
    All the chains pay minimum wage or just over. A friend of mine went to work for Hi/Lo back in the 90s right before O'Really's took them over for $11.50/hr starting. He had basic automotive knowledge and no parts experience. That same O'Really's starts experienced counter help out at like $8/hr today, 15 years later!

Eli

28. oh goody ....another complaint about parts store threads....

29. Its like a car sitting across the parking lot....if you don't like it don't walk over to look at it

30. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I'll use autozone when my local car quest is closed and only if I do my own research and bring part numbers with me.

Needed a bearing for a transmission, happens to be the same number as a Chevy S10 axle bearing and they stock it, nice. Tell the guy at the counter the part I want, "what is the application?" I tell him, we don't stock transmission bearings, checks the number after a little nudge and WOW, it's in stock.

Cliff Ramsdell