Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funniest lines from the parts counter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, May 13, 2012.

1. Gromit

Gromit

As a mechanic the parts guys I deal with are by and large good. I had an incident where it was actually a young guy (first week) that solved a mystery for me.

I was having a heckova time getting a good alternator for an OT Range Rover. (1994)
    The ones they sent me did not fit. finally I addapted one by making a bracket, but it went bad in a couple weeks. I went back and talked to the young guy, mentioning it didn't really fit the application (serp belt) and I had to change pullies. He took the time to look at the 1995 model year and found a part specific to Canadian Imports that fit like a glove. Kudos.

2. crazycory1

crazycory1

AT CARQUEST.

Me: I'm looking for for a set of spark plugs for my chevy truck.

First parts person: Ok I have platinum or champion copper ones.

Me: I'll take the copper champions

Second parts person that stepped in:
    You don't want champion spark plugs - they are for ford only.

Me: I'll take the copper ones.

Second parts person: Its up to you if you want to run the risk - then he walked away.

I really want to know were they find these people.

3. crazycory1

crazycory1

I have found that it is easier to look it up on thier website, go there, and say this is your part number for the part I'm looking for. 9 time out of 10 you get it right away. Dont even go into what you need or why, just the thier part number.

4. There really are some spark plugs that are make/model/engine specific. A coworker had a VW of some sort that took spark plugs that were specifically for that car only. (you also had to unbolt one motor mount and jack the engine up to get to the aft bank of the motor to change the plugs...so stupid...)

....but I wouldn't thing anything made by the big 3 would be like that. They usually try to not have consumables be unique to one model of car.

5. Kramer

Kramer

I do the same thing now. Makes it easier on both sides. With O'reilly's, if the store price is higher, they will usually honor the online pricing if you print it out and bring it in.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

hamez hit the nail on the head. i've been in this field for years, making minimum wage at the start and, what i'm told, is above average for this job in this area now. it's not much, but... here's the kicker. i go in, i help my customers get what they want, and i go home... eight hours a day, five days a week (company hates overtime) and no headaches. i get a couple of serious head-scratcher problems every day for a challenge! i don't do it for the money, that's for sure (glad i have a job these days, though). we get deadheads in from time to time... we get foreigners in as well, who don't do English.... that's fun. (not Latinos, FOREIGNERS, like Russians, Poles, etc.. they work the cargo ships)

7. redzula

redzula

while waiting for jiffy lube to change oil on my wifes car I started talking old cars with the manager. a lot of bs back and forth but then he tells me he has a 74 chevelle with a 440 6pack. I just nodded and stopped talking to him shortly after.

also a JL i watched the salesman try to sell a lady with a brand new kia soul a trans service at 5K miles.
    same guy tried to sell me a rear diff service on my wifes FWD RAV4.

with their prices and the dipshits working there I think I will just find the time to do it myself.

8. redzula

redzula

Rotary engine plugs are strange like that ill try and find a pic and edit my post

[​IMG]

9. 62rebel

62rebel

yup; a leading plug and a trailing plug. pricey little buggers.

we have a customer who maintains a Great Race Studebaker for it's owner; we got him a set of plugs for the flathead six in that last month. probably the last set we had in the system!

i hate the fact that many of our vendors simply gave up carrying a lot of the older parts we all use... their catalogs no longer list the applications, and even if you can find a good part number, they're probably no longer available. it's not always the counterguy's fault he can't find something...
    it just might not be out there to get anymore.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Right. Common parts. But still a bitch to get to that last plug in some (Chevy Monza V8, to name one....).

11. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Dude, thats hilarious!!!

12. Pretty soon their won't be any guys at the counter...

instead there'll be a giant vending machine that takes a credit card.

13. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Computer-PayPal.

14. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Lol.. GREAT thread.. I was just rantin about this problem on another thread..

Me: I need to see the brake lines....
    Him: skips over to the vaccume lines and says lemme kno if u need anything else...:mad:

Lol.. If the partslist was on Facebook you would think they had a degree on it..

15. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

HAH! That's what it pretty much is now anyway. Just cheaper to pay someone to look at a screen and then turn around to the row of shelf's. Rather than having a robotic arm and touch screen.

Funniest line update;
    Was near the local chain store and needed a price/availability on a couple of rear struts for a beater Corolla, so I popped in;

Me - I need a pair or rear struts for a '99 Corolla
    Mgr- Brand preference?
    Me - Not really, just some decent struts that won't blow out.
    Mgr- Have some Monroes for $180...
    Me - That's not too bad...
    Mgr- ... each...
    Me - *silence*
    Mgr - ... yeah... so I'll see you around?
    Me - yup... later *walk out*

Looked up Rockauto prices, picked up a pair of strut assemblies(top hat/bumpstop/dust boot/spring/strut, all assembled) for $190 shipped.

16. Faus

Faus

I had a guy walk into my store and say "I have engine codes P0300, 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304.... Can I get you to clear the codes?" I responded " You need new plugs and wires.... Have you given your car a tune up?" He responds "No... I am wanting you to clear my codes so my car will pass inspection." I said "I cannot do that." He then says "Comeon man! I need my car to pass!" I then said "it'll be 21.99 for the wires and 16.97 for the plugs for your car. It may take an hour to change them, but then you'll pass." The guys response was "_______ you! If you can't just clear the codes and help me out then go to hell!" I swear some people are shady and lazy....

17. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

"Thanks for coming in sir, enjoy your walk home!" :D

I'll never understand people and their... "logic".

18. ^That's funny stuff right there. Less than $40 to fix the problem but he would rather go on driving the car messed up and have you clear the codes for free.

19. 62rebel

62rebel

had a guy bring in a nasty corroded battery in today, of course NO reciept, but he "buys pots he all de tam."

it's a filthy mess, leaking acid, posts look like shit... but, it has a date tag on it and the records DO show his "connection" shop having bought one around that time (country ass MF'ers using shops for walk in discounts are a definite NO-NO) so the manager does give him pro-rated warranty on it, cuts the price of the replacement by half....

of course, he won't talk to the original counter guy because "all he wanted to do was sell me a new battery..."

look, if you DO "buy pots he all de tam", then you ought to know by NOW to keep your god damn reciept so it's not fucking trigonometry getting your warranty done.

20. Guy walks in with a bag full of pinion flange, bearing and seal.
    I ask "what is this for?"
    "I don't know"
    !!!! "Do you have a VIN?"
    Gives me VIN to a 4WD Frontier.
    "Front or rear?"
    "I don't know"
    "I really cannot help you unless I know what these parts are from."
    Walks out.

Dad calls about five minutes later, and I get the parts ordered.
    Dad seemed OK, but his kid should never touch a screwdriver.

Cosmo

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I brought in a defective battery a while back and the parts guy (who is a friend of mine) get's really pissy about how I'm an idiot for not polishing the top posts for a good connection and it was no wonder it went bad because of my negligence... he was turning red over it... I did what I could to calm him down, I don't get frazzled easily so I was calm... and I told him... I use it in my side post chevy... I have never hooked anything to the top posts before... he was pretty embarrassed. (turned out his whole day had been a shit fest full of one idiot after another)

Remember, these are people too, and sometimes they can have a bad day like any of us... keep your cool and be patient.

22. Sleeve396

Sleeve396
    from Miami

True story, when I was a young buck I worked at Luby Chevrolet in Miami, anyways this fellow comes in and needed valve cover gaskets for a 78 Malibu, I asked him what size engine 229, 231 or 305, he tells me Gimme a minute I'll run outside, so help me Lord he comes back a minute later proudly smiling, it's 27 inches by 38!!!! I just remembered this when I was measuring some drywall yesterday and busted out laughing to my knees at Home Depot! I got to hand it to him he must have been a he'll of. A carpenter

23. guy comes in tonight needing a wrench. i ask what size and he shows me a close up picture of a bolt on his cell phone.

24. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

As far as I can tell and guess, a job at a auto parts counter does not pay much. Most are young people. You get what you pay for.
    I have not ever had a problem at the parts counter. I treat them with respect and explain fully the part I may need. If they look puzzeled when I say Acadian, it gives me the oppurtunity to explain about the car...and tell them to look under Nova instead. I don't mind what some may think is a dumb question to me, it gives me a chance to tell them about my old car, and perhaps give them some knowlege about them.

25. "I am sorry sir, the toilet is only for team members".

26. Team Members ,dont you just love that shit ?

27. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

i need plugs for a 36 chevy is it air conditioned no its not

28. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Is it 4 wheel drive? ;)

29. Faus

Faus

Guy walks into my shop.... Says his battery isn't working so one of my guys takes it back to charge and test. He leaves happy enough and all of a sudden this rancid smell come from the back, so we run back there trying to figure out what was going on. Here was this guys battery Spewing acid and water from the vents. I quickly turn off the charger and call the guy to tell him his battery is no good. When he comes in, he said it looked a little low so he put some tap water in.... Well if you know anything about auto batteries is never put tap water in. I tell this to the guy and he replies "I can get a new one free under my warranty since its defective right?" I replied that I couldn't since he added tap water and that could have caused the battery to go bad.... He took the battery and said "I'll get a new battery Friday when I get paid". I swear some people are dumb.
    My favorite overall is the "mechanic" who said our pad were bad. He walks in with a set of slightly used but very good pads and said "there pads are bad, they causing my brakes to leak at the caliper!" I promptly replied "Where are they leaking on the caliper?" he then said "from right behind them pads". I by now knowing its a bad caliper tell him this, and he said "I'm a professional mechanic, been doing this for 40 years, yer pads are bad!". I said if fluid is leaking from the caliper, your caliper has gone bad. So the guy leaves and comes back about 30 minutes later and shows me the caliper... Sure enough the piston seal (rubber) had given away and fluid had leaked out... He said "See! That caliper is good!" I pointed out that the caliper had gone bad and showed him... He got pissed, stormed out saying how he'll go to advanced auto parts, cuz they won't argue with him, they'll just get him new pads. I now drive in fear that this guy is out there with bad brakes, "fixing" cars, and maybe has kids as dumb as he is.

30. 62rebel

62rebel

we have to "read" people just as we have to read the catalogs.... kids with little experience in both catch hell behind the counter. some people simply do not have a clue what they're doing and you have to pull their teeth to get the information you need to help them (or get them to leave!); most folks have SOME idea what's going on, and a few really do work on their cars and have all the info you need. we work to sell parts... but purposely selling them more stuff than they need, or not properly identifying their need, just makes them have to bring parts BACK.

so...no. i DON'T need battery washers, or a plug gapper, or some purty air freshener dealie-bobber.