Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remove vent windows from 1940 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt.Mike, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

Does anyone make a kit for a 1940 Ford so you can remove the side vent windows and just have a single side window in the doors? I would need the glass also and a power lift kit also. If anyone has done this I would love some info as to how much of a job this is, and maybe some pictures. Thanks Mike

2. sawzall

sawzall

mike

are you talking about a 4 door, a coupe? or tudor sedan?

if a 4 door or a coupe you could easily swap in 39 ford parts.. and get exactly what your wanting.

3. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

It's a 2 door sedan.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Like Sawzall said, I don't think anyone makes a conversion kit. But, using 39 Ford windows and mechanisms seems to work. Actually, 40's look better with vent windows, I think.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

5. We did it on a 40 coupe a few years ago,,you will need a longer window channel and YOU WILL NEED TO FABRICATE A TRACK FOR THE WINDOW CHANNEL AROUND THE FRONT OF THE DOOR,,we used a Specialty power window kit,,and the one touch power window crank that uses the factory handle,,pretty straight forward modification.HRP

6. 40_tudor

40_tudor

I converted my 40 Tudor to a single window. Bought the front metal track from a window felt/rubber dealer at the Springfield swap meet and fabed the bottom mount myself. Chevy of the 40s has a kit that can be reworked for your 40.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/15951/Vent_Window_Removal_Channel_Kit.html

7. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

i hope you want it bad,cause i did it on my 40 a couple years back.I do remember about the track i think in front and top that the 39 window hit.It needs to be removed so the window will not crack.I sold that 40 and got another.Changed to new glass after a paint job and swore i would rather have an ass whoopin then have to do that again.So,to say i love my vent windows.Been there,done that.Not again,but good luck.

8. I'm laughing! I thought that was a "39 1/2". ;-)

9. Weasel

Weasel

I was thinking of going the other way and re-instating the vent windows on my '40. 1939 garnish moldings do NOT fit 1940 doors - you have to modify them - ask me how I know....

10. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Nu-Relics makes power window kits that remove the vent window. I purchased a kit for My 47 Ford coupe and it was a bolt in kit and I did not have to modify anything. They are not cheap but the work great. Their kits bolt into the original window regulator location. I purchased the kit to remove vent windows for my car but changed my mind and called them to see if I could return the kit. I paid for freight back to them but they paid the shipping for the new kit that uses the vent windows. Great product and excellant customer service.

http://www.nu-relics.com/

Their phone number is (336) 699-8949

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

why

12. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Lets do a one piece wind shield while were at it

13. kiwi88

kiwi88

Just had a kit sent over for my 40 Coupe from The Glass House in San Dimas, California. www.theglasshouse1.com ph 909-592-1078.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  14. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

I used a glass channel kit from The Glass House in conjunction with Specialty Power Window electric window kit. Made my own patterns for the glass and had a local glass company cut the flat glass. The 39 Ford door glass is actually too short, front to rear, because it was a "smoker's glass" and could actually be cranked rearward into the window channel leaving a half inch gap in the front to allow air to come in. If you don't want power windows you can still use the original window regulators. I also used 39 Ford Deluxe coupe window garnish moldings with no problems. Only difference between the 39 and 40 door is the 40 door has a small indentation on the inside of the outter door skin where the front channel on the door glass went up and down. You can either weld this up and grind it down if you haven't finished your body work or just put the door "fuzzie" on and there will be a very minor gap at this point that is barely noticable.

15. I need an idea on how to remove the glass from Vent/Windwing frame on my 46 Ford Tudor Sedan.

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

NuRelics kit and motors in my 40 coupe. Many years of trouble free working.