Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just couldn't leave it alone!Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

I figure there have to be a lot of guys out there that have been in the same predicament that I am.Purchased the sedan in my avatar about 8-10 months ago thinking that I could buy a ride and just drive it.Wrong!Well you just start looking at things closer and you end up wanting to do it your way,which you finally come to realise has just cost you a bunch of money and you should have done that in the first place.
    All my friends and wife by the way already new for some reason that this would be the case and just shake there head going Duh!
    So now it begins,have sold everything except for the actual body and block,and now the build begins.My intentions are still to build this as a every day driver,which includes it being out in the snow on occasion with studded tires and getting used often.
    So far have got myself a 32 chasssis setup which I am in the process of mounting the cab and also just had the 383 block honed with some new pistons and cam and am trying to figure which way to head for induction.

Attached Files:

2. i have always been an advocate for building a car yourself instead of buying . good for you!

3. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I did the same thing with a 55 F-100 I changed every thing but the paint job so far.
    Good for you, build it the way you want it

4. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Yeh I thought I could be happy,but apparently not.

5. Glad to hear I'm not alone. What's up with that anyway?
    The Wizzard

6. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

It's got to be in our genes.I figure you only live once,and if you are not happy change it!

7. I've been accused of only owning left turn ratchets.

8. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

Thats very funny. I am in the middle of a long frame-off on an OT car. I could very easily have bought a built car for a lot less money than what I have already spent on this one, but in the end, I would not have been happy with it and I would have had to change it. When it is done my way, I will be able to look at every part on the car and be happy with it.
    Brian

9. ronbo48

ronbo48

very nice project. whose frame are you running? I am in the same boat with a nice 28 tudor I have recently purchased and just tryinhg to sort it all out. I think on any car you purchase, there will always be those must change items. Runs a person crazy.
    good luck and keep those pics headed our way.

10. DavidL

DavidL

It's gonna look good with the deuce rails!

11. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

It is a Kiwi Konnection frame,am going to try and use alliance vendors as much as possible.We will see how that works out.
    Everything was going well till my welder took a crap today,hopefully it is minor.Appears gas has stopped flowing,need to do a little research.

Attached Files:

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Model A's are cool.. Good luck with the rebuild, I mean YOUR build.......

13. Willy301

Willy301

Well, you just had to tinker, didn't you. When you said it was in your genes, I think you should have said "it was in your jeans" as in the cash to fund it..:D I am confident that you will end up with a much nicer build out of it, even though it looked pretty decent before. Good luck and keep us posted!

14. TheBurnoutsCarClub

TheBurnoutsCarClub
    BANNED
    from US

I did the same thing! Bought a Model A PU intending to drive it as is, and fix it a little at a time. Ended up selling off everything but the front axle (including the cab and frame!) and building a whole new car from scratch! Double dumb...

15. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Damn I am glad to see that there are others out there who have done the same thing.I should have known better,as I knew full well when I looked at it what I liked and disliked.Well it comes down to the fact that really all I liked was that the body was in perfect unmolested shape.Chassis wise there was to much chop,cut rebuild going on.

16. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Ok an update on the build so far.Sold old rolling chassis to a gent out in Kansas and started with a new 32 pinched setup from Kiwi Konnection.All the usual addons with a mix of Pete and Jakes ,So Cal etc.Finally figured the wheels and purchased wires from Wheelkid with Excelsior tyres from Coker.
    Slowly getting there with engine installed and figuring out how it will sit.Just got the 4 th rim today as it had been dropped and had to be sent back at remade.Now it will at least become a roller.

Attached Files:

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's looking sinister. I like it. The black wires look great.

18. Beau

Beau

Sick ride!

Truckee can't be too big...do you know P-Winks? Works at Sugar Bowl.

19. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

I always thought paint was the biggest pain to figure out,but wheels sure comes a close second.

20. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Sorry don,t know that name.Worked as a lift mechanic for many years at Northstar and don't recall a P- Winks at Sugar Bowl.

21. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Slowly making progress and am at the point where I am starting the wiring.Just got the triple deuce setup installed and am doing some plumbing.Have been able to hookup the Moon tank as a auxiliary fuel tank,to give me that little bit extra.

Attached Files:

22. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Another view of the new carb setup!

Attached Files:

23. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Nicely done, sure hope the moon tank don't cause any over heating problem

24. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

I am also hoping the same thing.I have a brassworks radiator installed,and after comparing it with what I had it should do fine.

25. Perfectly understand! You will never be happy unless you touch every bolt!

26. Fenders

Fenders

Do I see a chop coming?

27. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Sorry no chop,like the look as it is now.That doesnt mean to say it never will though.

28. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Well it is finally a runner,got it fired up about three weeks ago and ran the cam in.You get to that point where you just want to drive it so I got as much as I could done so that I could drive it round the block.So far so good and after the usual final adjustments we were good to go.A few small oil leaks which were minor as they were due to the fact I had a large flange on the rocker covers and to small a gasket.Have also been trying to dial in the vaccum switch for the overdrive on the 700R4.This has taken a little bit to figure as the car is so light.

Attached Files:

29. Tommy R

Tommy R

Looks way cool! Diggin' the rear tire change....really ties in well with the Moon tank.

30. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

You got a good eye,just wasnt happy with the excelsiors on the back.My wife says it nows looks a little meaner in stance and looks.:D