Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare small block chevy intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol' Drippy, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Anyone played with one of these????

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Moon still offers that manifold!! They also made some similar non-Chevy Weber manifolds that haven't been available for many years. Last I knew the side-draft version was special order and you had to wait for enough orders for a batch to be made. Not sure if it's the same for your downdraft model.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Weasel

Weasel

Both downdraft and sidedraft are readily available - Monneyes buys them in nowadays: downdraft by Blue Thunder and sidedraft by Pierce Manifolds I think....

4. Weasel

Weasel

Eat yer hearts out guys - Alan Smith slide injection crossram magnesium for Formula 5000. I have seen only one in the US of A....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. What's a manifold worth new?

6. lucky23

lucky23
    from So Cal

This is my Edelbrock 6x2 manifold/carb set up

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  7. ARTCAR

ARTCAR

YES I have complete marine engine.

8. I found a regular 4bbl with studs drilled into certain runners at a swap meet

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some unusual intakes so far. My stock 55, 4 barrel, 265 intake I've sold to a Stock Class drag racer for his 55 Chevrolet, now that NHRA has seen the light and allowed the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars, and others, back into Stock. I now have an aluminum, factory casted, Carter WCFB and Rochester 4-Jet carburetor based, intake. Bought it off that auction site we all know and love, and of course, it was advertised as for a "Corvette". In reality, it was made for military or marine use, and no one seems to know for certain which of those it is. I'm going with military due to the olive drab paint still visible in places. It's identical to the cast iron manifolds with the exception on a boss with two threaded bolt holes, and brass fittings in 4 of the runners, two on each side. Wish I could post images. Not really good for any performance increases, but it is lighter than the cast iron counterpart. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. pontman

pontman

Thats cool and all but whats up with the Super Duty Pontiac manifold in the back ground?

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Back from the dead, but now that everyones looking. Does any body have a picture of a Tarantula and know what the RPM range is?

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Ever seen an intake like this? This photo is a pre production engine being test fitted in a 54 PU truck by Chevy engineers

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  13. 24riverview

24riverview

From 1978 catalog. edelbrock rpm.jpg edelbrock tm1.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. Thanks for the info, I must be thinking of another one I saw years ago. The one I remember was taller with longer runners.

15. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

I'm bringing this thread back from hiatus for a question. I was talking to my neighbor yesterday about 327's and 283's and he said he had something I might be interested in seeing. He showed me a tri power Fenton intake he'd had laying around for years. He said he'd bought it at a swap meet but never found carbs for it. I found this thread trying to find info on the Fenton intake as I'd never seen one in person. He said he might be willing to sell it to me but I had no clue as what to offer him. Does anyone know about how much these are going for?

16. NWGreaser -
    $200 would be my offer. It's gotta be worth a little more than that. So if he bumps you up after the offer, you still aren't doing too bad.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hopping on to this resurrected thread, this was one of the items listed way basn then "GM factory aluminum #3890490 350 hp vette 1965"
    Why would this be rare and what would it be worth?

18. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

Thanks chevy57dude, that's about how much I was thinking. I just didn't want to low ball him and offend him.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. geoking

geoking

I have a SYI . "Smokey Yunick" by Edelbrock

1Nimrod and volvobrynk like this.
  20. this thing is magnesium and dated 1964 what the hell is it?
    066.JPG

402BOSSMAN, 1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  21. The intake is a little hard to see as it is being used, and I am not sure how many of these were made probably bazillions, but these old L-79 intakes are getting a little hard to come buy. So maybe not rare but getting that way and a really good intake for a streeter. And what the hell it keeps the thread alive, doesn't it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. this is a GM fuelly intake modified for? possibly by Smokey yunik
    065.JPG

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

GM alum.(Winters foundry) intakes for 64-65 "461" number
    "490" was 66-67, both $$$$$$$$ but asking is not getting, rare-- not so much, check out the bay.

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks

25. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Don't know how rare they are but I've only seen this one on ebay.
    $_12.jpg

Attached Files:

• $_3.jpg
      $_3.jpg
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
  26. Long time reader, new member today.

With regards to the post Scotty T made about the 1964 Magnesium manifold with the super long runners...it's got me beat.

It seems it was seen back in Smokey's Garage back in 2003 by BigWideGrin in this forum;
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ir-manifold-usable-6870.html
    Although the garage was not mentioned by name in this link, the manifold pictured is ex Smokey's garage so I am sure 2+2 =4 in this case and think it is one and the same.

Apart from some manufacturing locations and Magnesium specs relating to the casting numbers, the link is the only information I can find and could well be a Chevrolet prototype.... but from what racing bracket....Nascar, Indy car etc or just made and sent to Smokey for testing...who knows, a lot to learn...

I wrote to Smokey's daughter today to see what may be known but I don't hold much hope...maybe I'll write to Chevrolet if I can find some inroads...silly thing is, it was listed as Ford and described as Chevy.

Good news is I am the new owner and Yvette is delivering it to a friend in WI for temporary safe keeping....more when I find out and I look forward to hearing more if there are some solid leads.

With thanks

Gavin

scotty t, 1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  27. Larry T

Larry T

My WAG for the magnesium, long runner, Weber intake would be something like this. But it would be a guess.

Chaparral  Cutaway.jpg

28. OK color me dumb, is that a see through Chapparel (sp)?

29. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, it is. And Can Am started around 1966 (I think), so the intake was a little earlier. But there were Can Am style and SBC Indy cars before then, so maybe?????????

30. One of the more impressive cars of its time. I fell in love with that car when I was a kid.