Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, it is.

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I just walked over and asked the car if it happened... didn't get a response yet. :D

Attached Files:

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Rootie... Where did you come across these photos? We have them, but the ones we have are straight out of a News paper story and terrible quality. These are GREAT! THANK YOU!!!

Got Anymore of this car.?

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wish I knew! :confused: Seriously and to explain, years back I quite accidentially stumbled across a obscure web site that had bunches of Indy pics from the 40s into the 50s. By obscure I mean it wasn't at all related to auto racing and wasn't a picture site like photobucket, fliker and the like. Being somewhat a computer rookie at the time I just bookmarked it and paid no more nevermind to its subject matter or address :(. Needless to say, not long after, that computer took a major dump and is now long gone. Fortunatly I had put a lot of pics on a disc to save computer space and just recently came across the disc. I've been looking for that site again and if it still exists theres bunches more pics I didn't save,I just don't know where to look now. :mad: Anyhoo, I've been going through the disc checking and cross-referencing to see what they are as I didn't do a very good job labeling them. The only other ones I think are of Andy G's car are these 2 but they are pretty piss poor. Looks like he may have had mechanical problems too as its about to go on the hook.

Attached Files:

5. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Jeez Rootie, when you said you got 'em off the web, you weren't kidding!

6. easter

easter

I heard Rootie and Mr. Peabody use "The Way Back Machine" and Rootie takes all of these photos himself!

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Perhaps the greatest example of an unrestored Big Car running currently in Vintage Events.

The Leo Krasick car and single cam engine at the AARA two day event at Washington Court House, Ohio in mid May 2012.

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've been working on a time machine for some time now. Pretty much have it all finished just trying to source a flux capacitor. Contrary to what you see in the movies though, they seem to be in short supply. :D

10. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Rootie, maybe this guy can offer some help. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

[​IMG]

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT STUFF GUYS!!! You never stop amazing me!

Zakira's has owned that car for the past 10-15 years.. thought they had most of the photos out there for it... but NOPE!

Thank you so much! BIG HELP!!!!

J Shaw

12. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

7-4-78 Reading USAC show......

[​IMG]

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I used Rod Taylors blueprints to build it but it seems this guy has the corner on the Flux Capacitor market now, and he aint sharing. :mad:

Attached Files:

14. Great photo Lee......

15. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Pancho Carter April 1978 Reading........

[​IMG]

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Neat pictures Lee......

17. bunker hill bullet

bunker hill bullet
    from indiana

18. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  19. easter

easter

What an incredible film. I didn't know there were any real race cars still out there in original condition that still ran. I want to go hug that car. Thanks for posting the link.

20. please pass on to mr. akin how wonderful it was to see that video.
    as much as I like resto, he is right, its good to see it in its current state.
    thanks for posting,
    mlight9

21. JThur01

JThur01

Re: Branson crash, last race
    Thank you Michael, thank you Michael.

The myth of "the last race" is one of the most common with racing fatalities. That and "first race". Newspapers loved that sort of thing and used it all the time. And rarely was it true. I've run across a newspaper item declaring a driver died in his first race...he'd been racing for at least four years.

As far as all the rumors, well more of the same :rolleyes: It seems rumors and myths surround many (most?) racing fatalities, and most are utter nonsense. Pure tall tales. I wasn't at Ascot in 1966, but a few years later they had a pick-up that drove slowly around with something mounted that scraped the mud off the walls. That in addition to those using shovels. And if mud got into the lighting, that must have really been something. The light standards were quite high.

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Like this car?? Head on back to page 6-8 of this thread. ;)

Bill did a great job preserving this histioric car, and HOLLEY did a FANTASTIC job on the video!!

23. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Thanks Josh, did so and here's couple of the pics for our viewing audience....Joe

Attached Files:

24. easter

easter

I didn't know Karl Busson drove this car until I watched the video. I've got Karl's autograph here from an IMCA event somewhere. He was always fast and smooth. That white and red #95 Altfater car was easy to pick out in a crowd and asphalt or dirt, it didn't matter. If Karl wasn't up front, he was on his way.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  25. easter

easter

Here's the one I used to see Karl in.

[​IMG]
    Karl Busson in the Cedoz Chevy at Hutchinson on this day – Leroy Byers photo from the Bob Mays collection

26. Geo3

Geo3
    from INDY

Jerry Richert ?

27. easter

easter

My buddy Curt Grogan sent this photo of my dad at Allentown. Thank you Curt. Here's a couple more things about these cars: Howell's Trevis car started life as a 4 bar but got dumped at Ohio Valley in early 60's and rebuilt as a springer front. It has been driven by Dad, Dean Mast, Buzz Gregory, Larry Dickson, and a couple others. This is from Curt: The 16 car was built by Willie Davis for Greg Weld. Greg won Rookie of the year and finished 2 in points in USAC with this car in 1965. Greg sold it to Hoback when Don Brown built the "Rabbitt " for him in 66. - My dad said the #16 car was the best built and best maintained car he had ever seen.

Additional note: It's hard to tell in this photo, but the driver's left of the windscreen on Dad's car is shattered and broken away. I remember him coming into the pits and pointing at all of the jagged plexiglass. There are still pieces attached to the hood, but it's broken badly above the fiberglass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  28. arcarace

arcarace

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this or not, but here goes. In preparation for my retirement to East Tennessee, i'm liquidating some of my collections. I have complete collections of Open Wheel, SCR, and Circle Track magazines. I'd like to see them go to a good home, someone who appreciates them for what they are. I'll consider all reasonable offers. As i live in Wisconsin shipping could be a problem, but i don't plan to move until next June, so i'm sure some thing can be worked out. And, i really don't want to brak up the sets as such. I can be reached at 262-782-0525 or [email protected]

Thanks guys

Rick Tackman Sr.

29. KKx125

KKx125

Joshua,I do have a photo of the Marquette Offy,But it is restored as it was when Bob Tattersall brought it to Australia,The Jack Stroud Valvoline Offy.There is a photo and history on this car in Bill Montgomery/s Interesting Book(KURTIS-KRAFT MIDGET GENEALOGY) Companion Edition page28 Black Cover,Hope this helps ,Speedie