Register now to get rid of these ads!

suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willie57, Jul 15, 2012.

1. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

I'am building a 54 buick 9" ford rearend, 65 chevy truck control arms and proshock coilovers. My question is can I mount the coilovers on the control arms like this?

Attached Files:

2. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

YES....but tie a plate in under the brackets.

3. Since there is no rear pivot on the arm, and the shock is pretty close, it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that all of the spring force is being fed through the 2 vertical welds, so make sure they are right....

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd LOVE to see you wrap that bracket over the top of the arm and spread a bit of the load across the width of the arm, possibly the bottom too. What I see with the two verticle welds that exwest racer mentioned is the side of the arm "blowing out" with repeated stresses.

5. ryno

ryno

x2
    if it was just a shock it may be ok, but with the load of the coil over...

6. Hadn't given too much thought to what that arm might be made out of. If it's .090 or thicker, you shouldn't have a problem with that bracket spanning the full height of the tube. If it's thin, definitely wrap the bracket around the top surface...

7. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

here is my new bracket in paper what do you think?

Attached Files:

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Better, better, better!

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Looks good... [​IMG]

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the ticket ! Mucg stronger and looks more like you put some thought into it.

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

Are we all sure that it won't put a lot of twisting force on those truck arms that they aren't designed for?
    Mounting the shocks to a bracket welded to the axle tubes would let the arms do what they were designed for - locate the rear end - and not have to support the weight of the vehicle. Or maybe move the bottom mount back a couple inches and tie into the spring mount/u-bolt area?

I know some truck arms do support the rear springs, but I think they are mounted to the top (not side) of the arms so there would be no twisting force.

12. Just a feeling but i would not doit that way.

13. if you wanna go with springs why not put them at the original location and put the shocks wheres you wann mount the coilovers ? Here in europa are companys they make custom springs in every lenght and rate for you. Sure in the states to.

14. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Put a radius in that inside corner on the top, just inside and above the shock bolt. Make it as big as you can.

Also worth noting, it will take more spring rate with the coil over mounted in the front of the axle than it would in the rear.

15. budd

budd

i would use the brackets you already have but put a fish plate on the side of the tube first, then i would keep a close eye on it for the next year just to be sure.