Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. The reason you see them on the driver's side is because that's where the factory put the spare tire mounting bracket.
    [​IMG]
    That's the factory bracket directly below the hand of that married guy.

You usually don't see them remaining on pickups. Most all of the beds I see have that bracket long gone.

I honestly think you made the right call putting it on the passenger side. I'd say 90% of the time you are going to load/unload something small in to the bed it is going to be right behind the drivers door on your way to getting in or out of the truck. That's usually where I load cans of gas, or other stuff I don't want in the cab with me. Having a spare tire in the way kind of ruins that deal.:rolleyes:

2. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Hey Bob here. I was at pick n pull in Rancho Cordova last weekend and they had a truck like yours with all the door trim if you need it.... Just a FYI

3. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Ahh! I got ya.. I wasn't doubtin ya that kinda sh** just freaks me out!! That's amazing work tho bud, soon as I get my power steering sector shimed my front clip should come together quick! Then you're thread will b my manual for bags a lil further down the road.. And honestly I didn't know that spare tire bracket existed.. I'm gonna hunt me one and put it on the pass side.. Ur right, It would b in the way on the d side..

4. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for sharing all the cool build. I love the approach and your great free thinking, well almost free! I just bought a 66 like yours which is a nice ol truck as well. I haven't done much yet, but have aquired a nice ittle healthy v/8 Chevy and looking for a t-5 and staying with the three pedal set up. Some A shot of my seat I just picked up from a local cat who did a great job for me, doing a cowboy theme in this rig. VERY helpful info. Knux to ya bro! Some pix of my stuff. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

5. sololobo

sololobo

OOPS!! forgot the shot of the seat sitting in the back o my van waiting for me to finish cleaning up the inside for re-install. ~sololobo~btt-please

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well I've just read the whole thread and now I need a truck of that series again.
    Youre an amazing talent. When you get a garage you'll be a force to be reckoned with. Youre already a low buck master.

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Why is that underlined??????????????

8. Because you REALLY REALLY meant it?

9. LostHope

LostHope

I see now why it was done! this is very true on loading stuff im always leaning over the drivers side.

Thank you for the lead I appreciate it!

Thanks man im just doing what i can! Your truck looks like it is in decent shape also you gonna start a builed thread on it? knux's to you too :cool:
    [​IMG]

Haha Low buck master! thanks for the props!

LOL!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  10. LostHope

LostHope

So A friend of mine Anthony is really into into art type stuff like carving tiki's,painting's, tattoo's,just all sorts of things, he is not a traditional type guy by far...we decided we would let him practice pin stripping my truck at a get together we were having at one of my car club members house since thats something he is trying to learn:
    [​IMG]

I just let him do whatever he wanted and since it was friday the 13th and he into lucky 13 type stuff amongst many other weird shit ,he decided to do what I called a rat fink, ed roth type 13 and some pin stripping on my truck:
    [​IMG]

heres is the final product:
    [​IMG]

little but at both door handles:
    [​IMG]

Little at both tail lights:
    [​IMG]

I drove the truck around today , but when i got home I had to get rid of the 13 I just couldnt do it since i really just want some traditional stripping on my truck and didnt feel that what he did, didnt match the style of my truck so I had to erase the 13:
    [​IMG]

His lines are not the best and off in alot of places but he gave it a shot and I appreciate that very much and gave him a chance to practice a little and have to start somewhere and planning on getting some better stripping but for now ill run it till I get tried of it...

Heres me and a club member are sitting and messing around checking out Anthony's chopped VW square back hes working on:
    [​IMG]

All and all a good night hanging out with friends doing car shit and bullshitting!

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey that 13 looked like somebody spilled some Guacamale on your hood! :D

12. Blake84

Blake84

The 13 was good just as in quality not on your truck. I dig the pin stripping though. I'm down here in LA looking for a good pin stripper to do some little pieces inside and on my tailgate where it says ford. Loving the truck.

13. LostHope

LostHope

Ummmmm! Guacamale! Yummm!!!!!!!!

I agree I think he did a good job on the 13,Jut not my cup o tea! He did it for free thats why i let him do what ever he wanted and practice,When I have cash to pay some one ill have some say in what i want done and quaility should be better! like you said I think you wouldnt need much pin stripping on the outside with the paint scheme your truck has now looks pretty bitchen as is. I havent looked at your thread in awhile any progress on the front end yet?

14. LostHope

LostHope

Not really a update but i thought it was pretty neat seeing my truck loaded up for the first time with metal headed to the scrap yard tomorrow and figured it was picture worthy..... I got me a working truck:D

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Awesome to see another working man's pickup. Really good work man. I dig it.

What kind of pressure are you running in those rear bags to keep it level like that? I'm thinking of maybe swapping some bags in the place of my springs for the trip to Arizona. No compressor or anything, just some bags that I can inflate/deflate as I need them. I don't think those stock springs are going to handle towing my trailer 1100 miles.

16. LostHope

LostHope

In that picture I have 80psi , but havent driven it yet that was just after loading it from the back yard and getting it level for the picture, I may have to add more depending on how it handles driving, I have a adjustable 200psi switch on the tank but never go over 160psi in the tank.....the most I have had is 100psi in the bags with no load....I can ask the yard what my weight is and tell you how much air it took for a nice ride tomorrow after i get back from the scrap yard if you want?since i was curious and gonna do that myself anyways.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. chaddilac

chaddilac

Are you really scrapping those good parts???

18. LostHope

LostHope

Yes I am! Ive had the 54 ford 4 doors and trunk lid forever and have tried selling them for years on craigslist,HAMB,Ford Barn, Yblocksforever,swapmeets and word of mouth for dirt cheap and cant get rid of them(If you read my 54 ford build thread youll know they have alot of bondo), besides those parts the rest is just metal items from around the house......the 54 doors ive moved them from house to house from storage to storage multiple times from living different places and tired of it, I stripped all the beltline trim and non pitted handles from the inside and out sides of the doors ,also hinges, Im struggling to survive money wise and need any cash I can get so its time for them to go....ive tried my best and done my part in trying to save them and store them for so many years.......your more then welcome to come buy them and resell them yourself if you want, but they are headed to the scrap yard in the morning.....If you have read both of my build thread's through there entirety youll know that i try and save,reuse,take parts and and make them into other parts, trade for parts to acquire other parts all the time, before i junk something....to me they are more valuable as scrap then the labor and the time its taken to keep them this long not to mention the money ive already spent to rent storage space for them..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi LostHope.Likin` your build.Sounds like me money wise.Why just the other day the Old Lady sez "Honey we`re so broke we can``t even pay attention".On the soldering that you mentioned in an earlier post.I learned a little trick many years ago.Crimp and THEN solder,and then shrinkwrap it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. LostHope

LostHope

Thank you wood butcher! I take it your a fellow carpenter(wood maggot) by your forum name?! I read your wifes comment on being broke to my wife and she started laughing and said "aint that the truth" too funny:D:D!I also found out and did the crimp ,solder, shrink wrap trick when i did my wiring since it was easier then trying to hold everything together and trying to solder, Its a great trick to use...thanks for mentioning it maybe someone will read it and try it also.

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi LostHope.Not a carpenter.Just a piddler.Got the name from all the projects that I have messed up in the past.Used most of the misteaks for kindling.Hehehehe.That little trick with the soldering I learned from a marine mechanic to make sure that the joints stayed solid in the boats.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. LostHope

LostHope

Well I sold some items on ebay and made some extra cash to buy some parts! I been wanting to do power dual master brake upgrade from the single pot stock master cylinder for saftey and comfort, but for now I had enough funds to by a 1967 c10 dual master cylinder, fittings , and line to split the lines and later on I can add the booster so I headed to good Ol' Richie's shop to do the swap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was pretty easy to do and somewhere along the line some one already made a adjustable brake pedal push rod so I didnt have to do that, I just had to bench bleed the master bolt it on and split and bend the lines and adjust the rod out:

[​IMG]

Pretty nice having a friend with all the right tools, Ive always had to pump bleed the brakes , but today was spoiled and got to use the vacuum brake bleeder thingy ma jigger tool that kicked ass!:

[​IMG]

And After they were bled ad some paint:

[​IMG]

While I was doing the master cylinder swap Richie resurfaced the front drums:

[​IMG]

and worked on trying to fix my fuel tank sending unit that the ground strap was corroded off at one end, we temp fixed it to work but is in pretty poor shape but will get me by till i can acquire another unit, and save me having to dip the tank with my bamboo stick all the time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we also installed some new exhaust gaskets at the header collectors to get rid of some exhaust leaks and temporary blocked off the hole in the firewall for the heater blower motor unit untill I can get a new heater core so its not blowing hot air through the hole in the cab.I really stoked to have atleast a dual master now!:D

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

It would be a good idea to put a stock type prop valve in the system or at least an adjustable one. Be carefull about locking up the back brakes without either.

24. LostHope

LostHope

Really? Everything Ive read and the master cylinder swap thread I followed ,and everybody(100's of guys with this swap on these trucks) on the 60-66 chevy c10 truck forum that has done this swap dont run a prop valve and say you dont need one, on a truck with all around drum brakes, only when you start getting into front disc's with rear drums, or all around disc's?? Im just going off of what Ive read and seen from other guys maybe I have to investigate and look into it further,since braking is nothing I want to do half assed........So far seems to be working fine and braking evenly so far even when testing the brakes out stomping on the pedal a few times....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  25. sololobo

sololobo

Hey man, a working truck, cool. I am proud of you for dumpin that ol hang-a-round stuff. I have been trying to thin my overage from a retail store I closed three years ago. I won't do a build because it will be a low buck process like you, but I am not a talented dude like you. I am puttering around doing some clean up and replacing bolt on stuff as I can. Keep up the great work pal. ~sololobo~

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. Blake84

Blake84

You should totally do a low build thread this is how dudes short on cash get ideas. I get bored and go outside to "tinker" and I get lots of ideas from reading threads like this one

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. LostHope

LostHope

I agree you should start a thread! I enjoy other low buck builds also, Having a build thread has been fun and your guys comments also motivates me to work on my projects more to keep posting pictures and adding to the build thread....I also have had a number of comments and p.m messages from other members telling me that reading my build thread got them out working on their cars/trucks so thats pretty rad I think and is another reason i keep updating my build..It is also a way to keep my pictures in order,and also When I reread my thread sometimes It helps me remember alot of the things I did that I forget about....I think its pretty cool to see when guys are working on their own ride even if they might be mostly ordered bolt on parts and not farming everything out.......you never know a thread might help you in the same aspects as it has me..if you do decide to make one send a link to it my way I would be more then happy to check it out and see what your doing!

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. n847

n847

Good Idea switching to the dual MC...I hate it when people leave the single pot MC's because it "traditional". Nice work man! Looking good! Way to keep working with what ya got. I've had to scrap, sell, and swap stuff to keep my project rolling, and that makes it that much more rewarding when you get those parts installed.

29. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

You only need the prop valve if you're going to disc up front. You have the correct master for what youre doing, keep it up. I've been following on the truck site too

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Man your truck is comming along really nice.!