Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is this old trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jabberwoki, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

I`m thinking 50`s or 60`s U-Haul?

Attached Files:

• ooop.jpg
      ooop.jpg
      File size:
      536.7 KB
      Views:
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

OK, I'll bite.........what trailer?

Cliff Ramsdell

4. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yes it's the stealth version. Very rare indeed.

5. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Geeze you quick mate?

6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Oh there it is...LOL

7. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

8. daddio211

daddio211

Don't know what the box is, but the trailer is certainly newer. It's the ever-popular utility trailer that folds up to store along the wall of your garage. They've been available for 20 or so years at Costco, Sears, Harbor Freight and every other big box store.

9. Got any shots of the back? Kind if cool looking tail light pods.
    Those little tires make me wonder if its an old box on a newer frame, like one of those 4x8 build it yourself hardware store frame kits.
    edit- doh! Daddio types faster than I do !

10. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

It's the Transmorgifier from Calvin and Hobbs.:D

If it's the rare Hemi version.................................................:eek:

11. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Yep i`ts not the original frame it you look close you`ll see the outline of the original fenders

12. barstowpo

barstowpo

Could the box be from a trike, like an old Harley?

13. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Here`s the rear shot

Attached Files:

• op.jpg
      op.jpg
      File size:
      398.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Might be a "Henway Hauler"...
    :D

15. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I'm just an old trailer guy from iowa but i would bet that this is really an early uhaul box on an updated frame. Just a guess.

16. Get it on a bit better frame w/ some bigger rims. Then paint it & get some vintage style lettering for your favorite made up speed shop & you'll have a bitchin little trailer to tow behind your ride.
    (just my 2 cents)
    :cool:

17. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Oh i agree i think it would be awsome behind a 50`s hot rod i just saved it so it can go to someone that will do it justice.
    Pearl paint in the original sceme and vintage UHaul lettering new sturdy frame da shizzel!

Yep it`s all fiberglass

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

a long time back I read a write up on the Uhaul company history and how it was started in a college town using army surplus trailers.In that article it said that Uhaul Company destroys its retired trailers and will not sell them in usable form to the general public.the old Uhaul clamp on tow bars even had an odd sized ball that only fit Uhaul trailer tongues. The trailers fit both the Uhaul ball and standard size but the hitches were Uhaul only to prevent theft of the hitches.It looks like someone took the box from a cut trailer and remounted it on a new one.There's nothing to say that big decal on front wasn't added to hide Uhaul logo or advertise something else after the conversion was done.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definately NOT a u-haul!!

20. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

I seem to remember Sears selling trailers like that under the Allstate name.....hard for me to remember ,I was like 10 years old and my brother borrowed one very similar to that to move when he got married. It was the first thing that I had seen that was made of fiberglass and was kind of rough on the inside and I cut one of my hands up badly.....hated that crap ever since.
    Kenny

21. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Might be a Nationwide!

Attached Files:

22. Yes, they told me that once years ago too. I have a towbar I've used tons of times and I think it was once stolen from U-haul as the oldest paint on it is orange. Heck I've had it 20 years or so. I need to tear it down, blast it and repaint it and put it together again some one of these days. I use a 2-inch ball with it but it is slightly small in there.

23. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

i know where there is a Uhaul hitch thats around 30 years old the ball is an odd size and it is welded not bolted to the hitch. I have seen several of these clamp on style hitches and in every case the balls are welded on.

24. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

[SIZE=+0]this is the reply i got from uhaul I guess they want it back?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Yes, this does appear to be one of U-Haul's trailers. Can you tell us where it is located? Please feel free to call us at 1-888-886-0782.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Thank you for your assistance.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Sincerely,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Shawn Goodall[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]U-Haul Equipment Recovery Dept.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]1-888-886-0782[/SIZE]

25. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Never saw even an old U-Haul with wheels that small.....I've used their stuff for over 45 years, all I've seen have 14"-15" rims.
    However, after a second look, I can see the outline of larger fenders that have been removed, maybe someone needed a frame for a custom trailer. The original frame was replaced with the smaller one with the tiny wheels on it....

26. The box is an early rental trailer box. The frame is a much later Harbor Freight cheapo POS. Anyone remember what nationwide rental company had a silouette of an elephant on the sides? Colors were green and white. I think this is what this box is.

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Why would U Haul want it back?

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I recall the green/white with elephants being E Z Haul around the 70's, maybe into the 80's.

Attached Files:

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mom's got an old Nationwide trailer sitting in her yard that looks a lot like that but is a bit larger. The colors match too. That may be one of those that was cut down to fit the HF style frame or it may be a smaller version that ended up being stuck on the HF style frame. I've used the one she has for a swap meet hauler a time or two and it tows great but has regular size tires and wheels on it.

30. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

so ....... did ya call them?