Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs AMAZING DAY! HOLY GRAIL! DREAM COME TRUE! 1940 Mercury Coupe TWO OF EM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sparkydeluxe, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Honest to God since I was in my teens my Holy grail of cars to own before I die has been a 1940 Mercury Coupe. The Mantranga Merc and Stardust have been my screensavers since I was old enough to turn on a computer. Of all the cars I've owned or built, that was to be the END ALL for me.

Well I guess this will be my last car (God I only wish that was true) because today it finally happened.

I've been after these cars for over 15 years. I was always respectful in my several inquiries to the owner if they were for sale or if he figured on selling yet, but was always given a firm NO! You could just barely see them from a side street in Colorado, and many people in this town knew they were there. In fact if you're from Colorado and you're reading this, you probably know exactly where I picked them up at. These were the only 40 Merc coupes in existence in this state (probably an exageration) but in all honesty of all the searching I've done to find (and afford) a 40 merc coupe, people would always say "well I saw these two that this guy owns, but he'd never sell em, I've asked."

Well tragically as it is, this gentleman just passed away, and in God's grace and timing, I just figured I would give it one more shot while I was down in town. The widow was very guarded and rightfully so, but turned out to be very sweet and after much back and forth, we struck a fair deal. As much as she knew her husband loved these cars, it was hurting her to know they would never be finished where they sat.

It was a HUGE pain getting these out as they were absolutely buried in this yard, and had the front suspension sitting to the side rather than under it, but worth every hunched over step I'll be taking tomorrow. This for me is a check mark on the bucket list, the final friggin frontier, the one I've always dreamed of owning! Yet again by the Grace of God and a great amount of help from my best friend/father, I've got em.

Both are titled, dont have a stitch of rust eating through that I can see ANYWHERE, even in the floors, are 100% complete down to the V8 flatheads, and incredibly solid. Today is one I'll remember forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

patience pays off!......good score!

3. Congratulations, great story and well worth the wait. Looks like that flathead has been replaced with a later one.

4. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Guess it's true, God knows the desires of your heart.

5. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Congrats, 40 mercs are awesome

6. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Hell yeah nice score! No wonder you were selling the Pontiac!

7. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweet, congrats! Please keep us posted.

8. Dam !.... Some people have all the luck ! Congratulations

9. Jen......

Jen......

10. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Congratulations! Way cool! I am interested to know the directions these will take

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I was at dinner tonight with some family from out of town and we were talking cars and I told them I would sell it all to get my hands on one 40 merc coupe. My friend congrats!!! I know that dream all to well unfortunately for me I do not know where one is to even begin.....yet alone TWO!!! RAD man I am stoked for you!!! now you have to do some build threads!!!!!

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

Are you going to complete both of them original parts wise and hang on to em?

13. Nice catch!

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome find, I'm extremely jealous.

Hope you follow along these lines and make a timeless, clean, traditional custom out of it. :)
    [​IMG]

15. rustryder

rustryder
    from Dinuba ca

we all love them 39/40 merc lines,happy to see anothers dreams come true

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      154 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeet! Congrats!

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

There is a guy here in Vegas that has/had one for sale for a couple of years. Nobody has any money.

18. sled

sled

Patience pays back...great score,congrats.
    first time in my life that i saw the stainless strip where the rear bottom side of the roof meets the body..did'nt know it was even existing such piece..in any case you dont need em when chopping the roof :eek::D
    What's your plan for those??Enjoy your day

19. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Congrats! That must have been one heeluva rush/high.

20. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Very great score to say the least!

21. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

you scored, nice finds! I've never seen such untouched 40 mercs before! Congrats!

22. shovelheadjim

shovelheadjim

23. I am stoked for you for sure. Hard to find one anymore let alone two. Your patience paid off. I hope the widow knows how thrilled you are.

24. ausbuick

ausbuick

very good score dude

25. lomofo1949

lomofo1949
    from Georgia

Kick ass score man....Congrats...And two.. my god!.................................................WOW........Awsome

26. Great score x 2

27. brady1929

brady1929

Great score, Congrats

28. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Man, beautiful pair enjoy.

29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Awesome finds !!
    Good for you, now enjoy whatever you do with them. :D