Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever receive a ridiculous tax assessment on a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Just got my 2012 tax assessment for my 1953 Chevy 210 4-door project. Keep in mind, it has only been rolling and stopping under its own power for about three weeks, and it looks just slightly better than a bag of shit with wheels. According to the powers that be, it was assessed at $10,950. By that figure, I owe $167.27 in vehicle taxes on it. Yeah, let me get out my check book...

Now, I'm sure they came up with this figure somehow, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a driving project who is subject to vehicle taxes. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has ever been assessed a tax amount that was ten times the actual value of their "registered carcass", and how you handled it.

2. Eric N

Eric N

I'm from Canada and maybe it's just that things are different here, but what is this tax you speak of?

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Without getting political, just a bunch of fees they hit you with every year for the privilege of owning property.

4. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

We don't pay taxes on vehicles like that here. BUT they charge us the vehicle registration based on the value of our vehicles. Same difference. Just a different way to suck more money out of us. For example I used to pay almost $300 a year to register my harley. It all makes no sense whatsoever.
    I liked it better when they use to base our vehicle registration on how much wear and tear it did to the roads. They used the vehicle weight to figure everything out.

5. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Mine was ridiculous in the opposite direction. For ten years they assessed my 33 chevy 3 window at $1200 & I paid about $16 in taxes each year. Now I hear towns are getting smart. They are looking at what you have your vehicle insured for and whacking you big time.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

So far, I've figured out that;
    Based on assessed value, I'm getting screwed.
    Based on weight, I'd get hit hard.
    Based on insurance payout, I'd make out like a bandit!
    If I moved to Canada... I'd be a Canadian! :D

7. Fenders

Fenders

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Lol, I don't know if I could get almost $11k fully restored! After all, it is a four door. Which is what I wanted, but not the general preference. I do know they're not getting a dime until they appropriately re-assess the old girl.

9. sounds like they are useing the top retail traded value found in Kelly's bluebook.

10. Better yet, Move to TENNESSEE! :D

NO personal property tax, on cars or anything else, except real estate.
    NO personal income tax.
    $55 tag for normal OT car/truck; $30 of that is a "wheel tax".

Two of the things that kept me from retiring in NC.

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Shit yeah! And let's not forget about "Interstate Barbecue"! Haven't been there since 1994, but I can STILL smell those rib tips. I made quite the pig of myself that day. :rolleyes:

12. Sounds like the dumbass from the Illinois Dept of Revenue moved to North Carolina.

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Wouldn't surprise me. Seems like EVERYONE is moving to NC. I-85 is a sea of plates from PA, NY, and NJ.

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

15. You Americans have it far too good with regards to your rego system from what i've heard, so stop winging!

We pay $430 for SIX MONTHS to register ONE 6 cylinder car. A V8 for a year is just over a grand, for ONE CAR.

I'd be a rich motherfucker if i only had to pay $55 bucks to register my car for a year..

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You must mean STATE tax. I'm sure everyone gets the Federal boner.:D Texas doesn't get state tax either, but our roads look like shit. The old, rich cowboys will NEVER allow state tax here.

17. squirrel

squirrel

It's interesting how much it varies in different places. They get us for $10/year lieu tax on the old ones here in Arizona. I expect someone in our wonderful legislature will figure it out one day...

18. Locate the office that placed the value on the car, contact them, and if you cannot get them to lower the value, there has got to be an appeals process. Learn about how they arrived at the amount, then present your side of the story with sales of comparable vehicles and information that they didn't have when they did your appraisal (negative factors). Get in there and fight. I'd say your chances are pretty good.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A friend of mine bought a '34 Ford p/u. All the usual up grades, sbc, 350th and Ford 9". It's a great looking truck, probably worth $30-$35K. When he went to register it, they tossed his bill of sale and used a book to determine value. For too long, people were under reporting the sale price, so now they go by a book. The local Chief of Police got caught, under reporting the value of his classic T-bird, it cost him his job.

Before their book, DMV went by the bill of sale. In '79, I got a '68 Vette. When I told DMV what I paid (trade), they said it was too much since it was a '68. DMV under reported the value and my registration was $18.

20. There must be an appeals process. Go through that, and take names. If you aren't satisfied, write short but detailed letters to the editors of your local newspapers, and copy your state representative and senator. Make sure you list the people with whom you've dealt. Just keep grinding away, and if the local newspapers don't get the ball rolling, then go up the ladder and contact your local television station's Call for Action or consumer defender - all of them have one - to ratchet up the noise.

It usually doesn't take this much to get someone within a bureaucracy to see the light - especially the bright light of bad publicity.

21. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

If I were expected to pay $167 based on a fair and reasonable assessment of my '53 Chevy I wouldn't be "winging". I'm not pissed off about the $167! I'm pissed off that the $167 came from an outrageous assessment. Understand?

If they said it was worth $1800, and I owed $167, no big deal. I'd pay it. But they're saying I owe $167 because it is assessed at almost 11 grand. THAT is the issue.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm going to start by locating the office and typing them a nice letter. With the letter I will include the pics of my $11,000 '53 Chevy, below. If that doesn't shed a little light into the idiocy of this assessment, nothing will.

Attached Files:

23. Larry T

Larry T

Texas doesn't have a state tax, but they do tax you on the car when you transfer the title. So many folks lowballed them that they finally came up with a standardized value for vehicles. It's pretty high (similar to what you're talking about). So, if you think it's valued to high, you can have your vehicle appraised and they MIGHT lower the value. Maybe you have something similar in your state. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask. I'm sure you're not the only one to think their car has been appraised to high.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Another thought. Considering how crazy it is to get an older car on the street, $167 would be the least of my worries.

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Again, not the $167. It's that it is $167 based on the assessed value of $11k.

I agree with you though. I think I spent more than that in just gas alone the first week I owned it, driving back and forth to the parts stores trying to track down parts to make it run. Nevermind the cost of the parts! $167 is a drop in a bucket. But not if it's based on an unfair assessment.

And as mentioned in other posts, I JUST REGISTERED IT and transferred the title in MAY, and they hit me with road usage taxes, and this tax, and that tax... ended up costing me $140 to register, title and tag it JUST TWO MONTHS AGO! HOLY SHIT! $300 in two months?!? At this rate, $1800 a year. Even Australia is looking good...

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I meant dealing with the DMV on getting a title.

27. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Ooops! :eek: LOL, my bad. Fortunately, I had a clear NC title, so no problems there. I know what you mean though. Going through a separate hassle with the DMV right now over an OT '66 that came with a SC title. What a pain in the ass!

28. rld14

rld14

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66