Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do shoebox floors sit flat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwiandy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

So I'm replacing the floors in my 50 coupe but the original floor was removed by someone else so I'm not sure how they should sit. I'm fitting new floor braces and rockers also. Question is, do the floor pans sit flat or do they sit higher in the centre (trans tunnel) and slope down to the rockers?
    Cheers
    Andy

2. Trans and driveshaft tunnel

3. They are not absolutly flat from side to side. There are also body mount supports that go from inside of rockers inboard. Check out E.M.S. products, I think they re pop them.
    The Wizzard

4. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Mine have a slight slope to them

5. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks. I have the new EMS body mounts. I'm looking to get the height correct before I weld them in. Does anyone have any pics?
    Andy

6. What part of NZ are you in Andy ?

7. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

I'm in TorbayAuckland. You gonna come and help put them in? Lol!

8. Hey if I had the time to lend a hand I certainly would . I had a feeling you were down Welly way for some reason and was going to suggest someone down that way who has a shoebox you would've been welcome to go take a look at and photograph/measure etc .

You could send a PM to Steve ( young_gun ) and ask if could put you in touch with his
    cobber ( his name escapes me ) who owns the stunning gold coupe you might've seen in the show sheds at Kumeu , hopefully you can get a look at that one .

Rod .

9. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Yeah I know the car. Beautiful. I've been meaning to catch up with him at some stage. I'll hit him up on the Facebook.
    Cheers.

10. Andy; I have never used the E.M.S. parts but if made correct they should not be made 90 degrees rocker to floor. They should be a correct pitch. The floor sits level with the top of the sill plate and spot weld on the vreticle 1/2" lip. Then they pitch upwards to the drive shaft tunnel. With nothing to work from you have your work cut out there buddy. From past projects I've learned to make the doors fit properly and weld in a cross brace to keep the body square and build the floors in place. Carpenter makes a good body mount rubber kit. I think I have some good photos of my 51 during paint that might help you out. When I get to my other computer I'll look them up and post them>
    The Wizzard

11. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks for the great info and the pics would be great. I have the body mount rubbers from DC that you mentioned. I have EMS outer rockers and floor braces with Paul bradly inner rockers and floor pans. The idea was to have it as OEM as possible.
    Thanks
    Andy

12. You have some very good parts to start with. I'm just headed to the shop and will get photos up right away.
    The Wizzard

13. Here are 2 shots of the 51 real early in the build stage. You can see a pretty good angle up towards the center. I'll get into another file and post more.

Attached Files:

14. big creep

big creep

i have the complete trunk kit if you need to buy it? i c notched my car so i dont need it anymore.

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you like me to crawl under our 49 coupe and take some pics. And measurements?
    Haven't met the guy but it's Rob and Robyn Watkins son with the gold coupe up your way.
    I would also presume all shoeboxes may have the same floor pan and outrigger though converts will be different.

16. Here is probably the best photo of bare floor I have. P.S. I removed the tilt a long time ago. It's now the way it was supposed to be. So as you can see the floors are no where near flat.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

17. big creep

big creep

this is how my floors look now with the ems floor kit, but i think youi can make them from scratch, it would be way cheaper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

thanks for the pics!

thanks for the offer but I have already purchased the three pieces for the trunk floor. After messing with these rockers im a little apprehensive how well the trunk floors will fit. Your floors have come up awesome. ALOT of hours gone into those! I wish I was that far along.

Thanks for the offer but if you have your interior intact im not sure youll get me the measurment im after. Ill post a pic and show the measurement that may help. If you are ever up this way be sure to get in touch and come by for a look.

Cheers for that. It gives a good indication. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  19. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

As before guys, thanks for the help. So ive spent a few hours of my Saturday playing with the rockers and floors. After further thought what Pist-N Broke said earlier made sense. "The floor sits level with the top of the sill plate and spot weld on the vreticle 1/2" lip" Going by this, with my door closed and with the correct gaps, if I set the inner and outer rockers to the correct height inline with the lower edge of the door then this determines the floor height at the outer edge. The height towards the tunnel will be set by the pad mounts on the trans cross member. Its alot more obvious in hind-sight!
    Cheers.
    Andy.

Attached Files:

• 146.jpg
      146.jpg
      File size:
      401.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Sounds like your headed the right direction. Best of luck to ya.