Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26t Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, May 22, 2008.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks scooter, appreciate the comment as i'm pretty pleased with it myself.

2. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Welcome back. I'm glad you got a little progress done. :)

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks man, I will try and get some more updates up soon but i'm really busy at work at the moment, I gotta eat first.

4. Yep that work thing sure gets in the way of a good build, Ey? :cool:

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Sure does but needs must eh !!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

6. Totally SPEECHLESS! This is truly amazing on so many differant levels. Well done mate.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks a lot mate, glad you enjoyed the read.

8. Your quality of workmanship is over the top !!!
    Great car and build thread.
    I'll keep watching.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude.

10. 117harv

117harv

I'm sure you have inspired many people, i know i am, by showing what is possible with some hard work and imagination. Posting here on the HAMB you have made your work/art available for so many world wide to enjoy...thank you:)

brEad likes this.
  11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Rockit asked about photos of the porting, I took these but its difficult to photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dummied the heads & intake in place to check stuff and came across a couple of small problems to solve, firstly when the intake bolts are tightened down the washers bite into the paint :eek: This obviously don't look very nice so i made up some stepped washers in stainless, they still bite into the paint but now you can't see it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing to address was the vacuum can on the dizzy, Its just zinc plated and will discolour quickly, beats me why MSD don't finish it better as the dizzy is nicely finished. I had a aluminium cover from Dickster but for some reason the MSD can is a bigger diameter :( so it didn't fit, sparked the lathe up and made one and blacked out the other bits.

[​IMG]

I also spun up a back finishing ring to finish it off.

[​IMG]

The rear heater connection on a Cadillac comes out the rear of the head (quicker warm up) only problem was that its straight and would foul my firewall, The easy fix was to tap the hole deeper with a 1" NPT tap (luckily i had one as I wouldn't want to buy one these days) and add a 90 degree hose fitting, I gave it a little polish t remove the blue anodising.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next little problem was the head bolts, I like to usually cover the heads with flathead chrome acorn nut covers but the Cadillac bolts are much bigger, the solution was easy :D 5/8" stainless acorn nuts bored out with a 55/64" drill gave them a snug tap fit over the heads, a bit of silicone will make sure they stay put.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Next job is to paint the heads & the adaptor plates, probabley gonna be white like the block etc but i'm wondering about flaking them ??? We will see.

[​IMG]

13. grabrr

grabrr

Wow.......I can't type what I really said..Awesome work !!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wow thanks Harv, if anyone gets inspiration from any of my threads i'm more than happy, We all sometimes need inspiration, i know i do occasionally and always find it on this great site.

15. kram

kram

I've been subscribed to this build for a while and I look forward to every update. That motor is a thing of beauty!

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Kram, hope you are enjoying it.

17. nickk

nickk

that engine is gonna be sexy

18. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

i saw that fram oil filter on there in the earlier pics of the engine, and noticed you removed it in the last few pics of the engine. i was going to throw the warning out about what ive read here on the hamb, how they collapse internally on engines w/ high volume/pressure oiling; which im assuming you have. im sure you know already, but sometimes great artists (meaning you) overlook the trifles when focused on other things.

19. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I love the idea with the acorn flathead nuts as a "cover." I think I'm going to file that idea away for later use!

If you want a little vote, I like the idea of painting the heads money shot, and the adapters could go with the flake paint. But it's your ride and you've made awesome decisions up 'til now, so... Keep up the great job!

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha only a nutter Claymore.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I reckon so Nick, thanks for the thumb up mate.

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've used the acorn covers for years mate, they tidy up an area often over looked, Couldn't get them in a bigger size for these bolts as they are 3/4" AF so had to look elsewhere, I think the stainless looks better anyway.
    Cheers for the comments and hope you enjoyed the ride so far.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi and thanks for pointing it out, its only a setup filter and i hadn't even noticed it was a Fram, your right about them being troublesome, they have a poor reputation in england also, I like to use the K&N filters, never had a problem with them.

24. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

WWow I just recently found this thread. Super nice lots of talent and patience. I look forward to following this.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the comment, hopefully i will get more done very shortly, just need to finish the Willys first.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well due to it raining non stop for the last 10 days work on the Willys has ceased unfortunately, not gonna waste the time though so I'm back on this doing a few jobs.
    I needed to make up the front trackrod and draglink, these are made from 1" OD x 1/8" wall Stainless tube with threaded bungs welded into the ends.
    I looked at them and thought they look boring so thought about making them a little more interesting, decided to repeat the trims i made for my exhaust tips.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately there isn't a tube available that will slide over 1" tube snugly so the trims were made from 1.250" solid bar turned down and bored out to 1" ID, Yep there was a lot of swarf !!!

[​IMG]

I started to make them by using a holesaw across the end but it didn't give the shape I was looking for.

[​IMG]

I called my mate Allan up and he cut the shape into them on the Milling machine, I made them longer than I needed so he could grip them. (thanks a lot Allan)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a few extra to do the triangulated rear 4 bar as well.

[​IMG]

After trimming to length they were all polished and fitted.

[​IMG]

I also did a double ender for the middle of the trackrod & draglink, these are held in place by a rosette welding a small drilled hole.

[​IMG]

Heres the completed trackrod and the rear triangulated 4 bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Kramer

Kramer

WOW!!!!!!!! I like 'em.

28. daddio211

daddio211

Awww, cute! You made a heart!

Such a fantastic build man!

29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Langy, Good to see you working on the T, this is one of my favorite builds on the HAMB, other than how inadiquate if feel after viewing the thread:p.

30. It's all about the details.
    Stunning build!!!