Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Easy answer, ask them to pick first and then you pick, no double up's

2. hemi

hemi

To elaborate..

While there is no easy answer, most of it comes from the magazine guys out picking while the builder's choice picks are being made. Those builder's choice picks, mostly selected by the event's designated Builder like Burman or Alloway, are selected and reviewed before they are stickered. The Street Rodder Top 100 is a deal unto itself, and they pick what they want for their magazine. Same with the Classic Trucks.

The Builder's Choice picks are made, and then the others that have been "bookmarked" for awards that the staff wants to give are selcted after that so we don't double up. Occasionally we get a rogue Rodder's Rep that will pick on top of another regular pick, but we usually try to discourage that. And sometimes we select a car for the Gazette Pick that will get a Builder's Choice or something else. And sometimes even though we tell the Builder's Choice Judge one of their picks has been chosen as an Of the Year Finalist, like Custom Rod, they don't want to make another selection. We can't force them to do that, it's a "Builder's Choice" deal. ;)

For the most part, doubled up awards are not a big problem and we are very mindful of it.

As for the big, "Of the Year" multiple winners... it's a very fair process, and each one of those are chosen from within the cars that are present. If it's the best car for that award after the points are tallied up from the panel's results, that's the winner. Each one is judged as a stand alone deal.

3. Fenders

Fenders

park like an ass, you are an ass.
    Let the attendees know the rules.
    A tow truck could do the weeding.....
    And don't worry about liability for scratches on the bumper, the entry form should have a release...
    Anounce it twice, then it gets towed.

4. I grew up going to the Pleasanton Cali GoodGuys events and had a blast doing so. But my family moved up north to southern oregon in 2005 and I havent made it to one since. Living basically in the middle of the washington show and the Cali shows and finally having a rod to show is tough. Any chance of even having an event in Oregon? Maybe the portland expo center, or one of the many fine venues in Eugene, Salem, or anywhere else. There is a huge population of rodders in Oregon. Thanks for the consideration.

5. Hasn't this purely commercial research related post wasted enough bandwidth/space to cover some actual traditional hot rod subjects?
    If motorcycles and other subjects are off topic how bout this sorta political BULLSHIT?
    I would say how I really feel but I cannot adequately express that in a small space as this....

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you asked for questions.

1. Why does GG feel the need to open the events on Sunday to everybody versus putting on a show for late model rides. and how does it determine the cutoff year for an event

2. Why does GG force you to join their organization when you already get a large fee to attend the show?

3. why didn't you put a picture of my car in the coverage last year

4. Why can't I afford to build a Top 10 car

5. Why not do a street Kahauna event instead of Autocross.

6. What are you going to build next when you sell the Legion

7. Why doesn't GG allow all year cars into all events

8. Why doesn't GG offer a rewards card, do 5 events get one free

9. When will GG outlaw attendance of RatRod/ shitboxes

10. When will GG answer all my questions

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  7. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

It was the worse I have ever seen, 25 years and counting, and that was before the asshole #1 discovered the Tostitos thrown all over the interior of his car. I'm talking a GIANT bag all crunched up and tossed from dash to rear window. The fight was 45 minutes non-stop before he discovered the Tostitos. Now you can imagine how bad it got after that.

Seriously this is exactly what leads up to someone getting seriously injured or possibly killed. I don't know how you eleminate assholes but with what I see nowadays I won't be suprised to see anything. Tempers, drugs, excessive alcohol and guns make for a bad outcome.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Cool answer, thanks man! That may be my favorite part of the GG shows cuz I like to Drive 'Em! :)

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Theres the dick response I mentioned.

A hot rodder offers to answer questions at no behest of any company and it's political?

10. hemi

hemi

Interesting.... In one year?

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

trucked, when it gets that bad, someone should be banned forever.

hemi, ya reward your members that contribute the most. Like a frequent flyer program. the more events you attend the higher your status and rewards. (maybe after so many events you get discounts, then a free pass for the next year event of your choice. or access to stay at a the host hotel (which are always sold out but GG should be able to reserve)

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Any plans on bringing back a Chicago area show?

13. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Kirk, guess it's a little late to ask this question.... but why did good guys pull out of Carlisle, Pa. I always miss that show.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

1. Again it goes back to making Sunday worth the spectator's admission.

2. To drive membership. Sure money is a reason, but as important is communication, meaning we then have a line to tell people what's going on.

3. Because you still owe me that sexual favor.

4. When you figure that out, let me know too, so I can build one.

5. We have talked about it. It's still a topic, but it takes more monitoring and we're already speed thin most of the time employee-wise.

6. I don't know. First will be buying a car my daughter can ride in.

7. Because that would be lame. We have three Get-Togethers in Pleasanton that are for all years American made or powered and they do very well, but I don't see it in the cards across the board. It's never been mentioned internally and I'd HIGHLY oppose it!

8. Watch for a BIG announcement at SEMA this year! It's not exactly what you're asking, but I think it's even bigger and better.

9. Never. I think it brings more possible hot rodders into the fold, as does the Super Sunday deal.

10. You're welcome.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

We are looking for other possible venues.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's before my time, so I don't know.

17. Framewelder

Framewelder

Having to fight your way to that back lot with spectators running in and out and trying to park in the same lot. Why can't we use the lot we used to?

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well, the event grew and swallowed up that lot. Are you talking about during registration or during the event?

19. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I suggest there should be a special GG 'service' award to whomever spread the bag of tostitos in the camaro.

20. First - what happened to Costa Mesa? That was a great event. Crusin' for a Cure pulls over 3,000 cars there for a one day show, so the area can support it it is promoted properly.

The Super Sunday deal. I'm not sure it really works other than making a few extra bucks for GG. But it could backfire if the spectators show up and all they see is a new car dealer parking lot. Will they return? If not, it fails.

If they do feel the need to continue with it, how about setting up a designated area for Super Sunday late model car parking that is separate from the 72 and older stuff? Not in the back forty, just combined so that the whiners don't have to look at Corvettes and PT Cruisers.

DO NOT get rid of the AutoCross - best thing they did for these shows. I have seen other shows add it to their agendas, like The Great Labor Day Cruise. I have brought an extra car because of it (so it makes you more money). I used to just bring the HOT ROD, but now the autocross 63 Falcon comes along as well!

I remember in the 70's and 80's shows did not peter out on Sunday. As the attendees have become older, they seem to feel the need to get home Sunday in time to watch 60 Minutes or Murder She Wrote reruns and relax before they do nothing on Monday. Well, I say make some more activities on Sunday to get the crowds to stick around. Awards, Raffles, Live band, come on, there must be something that will keep the people interested. I have to wonder what the average travel time for most of these people is anyway. I know when I wander around Del Mar (the BEST venue in my book) I see most the regi's are with in probably 4-5 hours, tops, many within 2-3 - so what's the big rush anyway?

21. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

How much do you make? Whatever it is, it isn't enough. You work you bag off and I look forwards to the gazette every month.
    GG have the greatest shows on earth.....sort of like a circus, only no freaks

22. Kirk,
    Still waiting for an answer why the lack of vendors at Loveland GG event?????

23. smitty city

smitty city

i was looking for a specific vendor in columbus, went to the main gg booth and asked for a map and was told there was none, gave me a list of vendors but no way to go directly to them, never did find that vendor. is this for real or did the booth person just want to be rid of me.

also have been to lots of gg events and enjoyed all, but the best one for me was norwalk. i think because it was not so big and overwelming. was this venue a looser for gg ??

have to agree with fat 47 about the frog follies, love going there

24. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

Sorry Kirk if some of these items were touched upon before, but I dont have the time now to read 12 pages.
    Sundays, I wasnt a big fan of opening it up to newer vehicles, but can understand the reasoning. But the cars should be modified to some level. At a recent show, I thought I was walking through a Chrysler dealer parking lot as there were so many new Chargers and Challengers there. Start letting in Hinda Civics with neon green windshield wipers, and I'm out of there.
    I always stay to the end on Sunday, even when my buddies book early. Hey you cant win if your not there, and twice I was picked as a finalist for the give away car, the Mustang GT in 2001 and the 55 Last year. (still a loser though!) Nice touch last year helpiing the finalists financially, made the difference between actually going to the show, or sitting home waiting for a phone call!
    Everyone wants to have their car picked as a winner, but when I check in on a Friday morning for a weekend show, and there is a photo shoot going on with a "sticker on the headlight" car, it kinda is like a kick in the ass. Then you go in and you see many others in the show that day already picked. Cant your judging start say, at noon Saturdays, to give everyone a chance to get there to be "judged"?
    Overheard at a past Rhinebeck show by two of your staff, " Hey, I found a red 32 thats really cool! "We already have a red one, find something else"". WTF???
    I was sorry to see Rhinebeck end, I remember when on a Saturday afternoon, you could not find a parking spot. But then again, Friday night there was always a band, there was a keg on ice, free beer for the takiing, flame throwing demonstrations, etc... Lately, it was a mass exedous at 5PM.
    BTW, good job at Springfield, I was pretty impressed, though not a big fan of all the blacktop, missed the Rhinebeck grassy areas ( thought I wasnt going to bitch, eh?)
    Charlotte is a great show, cant control the weather, but how about getting the drags back at Z-Max? The track cruise is the best, have done it in three different cars over the years.
    I know they are a different shows, different awards by different judges, but, Im tired of seeing the same car win awards over and over. I know recently this was addressed by you, but most of those cars are built by big $$$ shops. Though I will admit my cars are not of that quality, they were built in my 2 car, heated with a kerosene heater, garage. with the help of buddies, not my visa card and checkbook.
    The best GG show I attended was at Scottsdale last year, unbelieveable amount of vendors there, whoever did the work on that, should be assigned to all the other shows!
    BTW, is was cool meeting you there, the staff really made my wife and I feel welcome, even if you made me where that silly red t-shirt. People were pointing at me all day, I though my zipper was open...
    Done Bitching now! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to brainstorm.

25. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

Also bring back the event at IRP Indy, I never missed that, but wont ever go to the one at the Speedway. Nothing better than vintage drag racing combined with a car show.

Oh yes a way to eliminate all the issues with "awards" ELIMINATE them.
    No awards, no gripes.
    MSRA's Back to the 50s doesnt have them and its the biggest participant auto event there is.

26. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

When all is said and done if it allows events to continue I am all for the Sunday deal.

Case in point Bowling Green.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't know how to answer that. I mean, the vendors choose to come or not.

28. chubbie

chubbie

Kirk, des moines GG music was great!!!!!! not loud. piped in so it was heard most every where. real rock a billy real rock n roll.. no repeat rock n roll... we've all heard teen angel.........millon times

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Glad you like it, most of it is from me. I don't want to hear a whole day of any one genre.

30. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Kirk can I buy you a beer at Puyallup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.