Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchemy

alchemy

I put together a car that looks like a ragged mess to most people, and it's won awards at GG's twice. I agree that it must be a personal whim sort of thing, because there is no way this car added up the points.

2. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I like the idea of the Sunday anything goes idea. The count is alway's down on Sunday so it does give people something to look at. Besides if you don't like that type of car then don't look at it. Remember that old car you are driving was new at one time.
    As far as the trophy and magazine hunters go get out of the hobby because if that is the only reason to go to a show then you are in it for the wrong reason.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given that this is a "traditional" hot rod website here is a "traditional" thought. For those of us coming out of the 50's and 60's it has never been about the trophies and awards. Sure, it's about showing your car off......to other hot rodders. It is about the chance to interact with and exchange car ideas/knowledge, etc. with other hot rodders. That's what the drive-inns on Friday and Saturday night were about. The shows initially were a good deal, but gradually they shifted their focus toward's awards and, more significantly, towards making moneyl for the organizers.

Ten years ago, we had spectators galore, but, as Dick noted, we priced them out of the events. Sure, in part, it's the state of the economy, but it's also the $100 a day it costs for someone to bring their family to a GG event. Look no further than the "Frog Follies" in Evansville, IN to see how, even with spectator friendly prices, you can put on a good event and make money.

It is not just the spectators that are turning away. Look at the numbers of hot rodders attending these mega shows. As clearly indicated on HAMB, the alternative events popping up around the country are drawing more and more rodders. It's not just us old guys. It's the young traditional guys making it work.

There is a message here Kirk.

4. Who are you, and what did you do with the real KIRK! :confused:

Seriously though, props for sticking your neck out and asking for abuse, knowing there are car guys that are also dicks. You're a good guy, Kirk :cool:

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

As I have been told they are "pick" awards. A member of the GG staff are given the task of picking a car that fits the award.

The guy that gave me the award, after seeing how happy I was said "I love my job I've had people cry when I told them I had picked them for an award.

6. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

One question I have is why can't there be a one day show price? Last year I could only make it on Sunday and this year I will only be able to go Saturday but have hesitated on going just Saturday and having to pay for the whole weekend. By time I spend $50 for the show and another $50 in gas then eats and drinks it just to expensive for one day. I feel $25 for one day would be a more fair price tag.
    Anyways keep up the good work and for a great show.

7. daddio211

daddio211

I want to know why some events don't have a Thursday shop tour or cruise.

8. chevy3755

chevy3755

i agree with fat47 spectator prices are to much for me......especially when you take the family......i think the vender prices are very high also......just as Progressive Automotive.............just my 2 cents........

9. I make 3 GG's shows every year. DesMoines, Loveland & KC.
    My question is why is the vendors at the Loveland show so lacking?
    Both the Des Moines & KC shows have way more vendors. The Loveland show is a outstanding event, with one of the BEST SWAP MEETS and a great turn out of hot rods and customs. So where are the vendors?

10. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Kirk,
    Thanks for the opportunity for feedback. I've attended all 15 Goodguy Nationals (and 4 at Medina prior).
    My question: Have you ever considered perhaps a double page of just pictures of the cars that attend an event? No captions, no writing...just as many (2" x 2" ??) pictures as you can cram on a doule page or more.
    Keep the larger pictures and captions for the award winners or the cars that capture your "fancy". More of us may have the opportunity to get our cars pictured in the Gazette that way.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

They are organized by local clubs. You could do one. Organize it and Goodguys would promote it.

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Neat idea.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, the point is that we pick what we think is neat or cool. No points or politics, just having something catch your eye and digging it.

14. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

The award thing,Ive won 3 different awards at the East Coast nationals goodguys show.Did I deserve them,ah idk,alot nicer cars there then mine,Its just kinda nice that my car was liked by the GGs.The Super Sunday thing,doesnt bother me,I go home on sunday.I always enjoy GoodGuys events and the GG magazine.Just my 2 cents not that it matters.

15. jonb421

jonb421

Why have there been so many stupid rules put in place like not being able to grill out or have glass bottles I understand you all have to negotiate with the city and all but it seems pretty ridiculous the more rules the less fun and when you have to deal with the Good Guys they act like a bunch of billet loving a-holes needless to say but was not impressed at the last one in Scottsdale probably won't waste my money there again...

16. Framewelder

Framewelder

I don't like the Super Sunday also. My buddy renewed his membership at Columbus and entered his car... it cost $90.00 I don't know about you that's a lot of money to me. One more thing, why is registration at Columbus so screwed up?

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

I guess there's a question in there. The venues set the rules as far as bottle a BBQs, not Goodguys.

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Define screwed up.

19. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

How about the power parkers Kirk. Original post question # 141. Thanks.

20. hemi

hemi

No senior discount... you've had even longer to save up the money. :D

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't get the question. It sounds like one incident.

Maybe we need an asshole screening machine like the X-ray at the airport.

22. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

First off did you know about the blow up in the Gazebo area Saturday. Two event security guards and four State Troopers involved for over an hour and half? [/B]

That situation and similar ones, (not as heated) at most of the last 15 events I have been at have me concerned.

Every pancake has two sides so I'll fill you in. Around 11 A.M these two guys drive their cars into the Administration Building area which is completly filled. One moves a couple of picnic tables that were being used by a group of six or seven rides. Then asshole #1 parks across the front of these cars with half of his Camaro out in the 8 ft. walkway. None of the involved I know.

Asshole two parks his Bonnevile on the other half of the walkway and so close alongside a ride that there was no more than 10" between his passenger side and the driver side of the other vehicle. Yes 10" and asshole #2 told the guy if he needed to get into his ride go through his passenger side.

That is just a brief decription. Left out was the food that a lady covered the entire inside of the Camaro with. And the suggestion from asshole #2 that if anybody didn't like his parking practices he would introduce them to Smith/Wesson.

This is a serious matter. These guys that just think they can show up at the crack of noon and force themselves into a 5 A.M spot have to be looked at.

23. Absolutely, I wish more event promoters would realize this. You would be surprised at how many people do not attend because they feel they are being ripped.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Geez! I heard a little about it, but not the whole story. Lame. I don't know how to weed out the jerks.

25. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

KIRK, Arent you glad you started this thread??

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If I bring chicken salad to an event while it's 90* and it goes bad, should I still eat it?

Seriously, I've only been to maybe 6 GG events but they were all an absolute blast. Thanks, KIRK!

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Honestly, yes. I'd rather people ask a question than make up their own story.

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yes, it will have more "kick".

29. And that was my point as well. I have helped pick cars at the other associations events for one of the vendors. I have been instructed, in no uncertain terms, that if a car has a sticker on the headlight already then it is off limits. No matter how bad I want to give it an award, it is done. Find something else. That way cars are not double dipping.

I would think that GG could set that standard with all the magazines and vendor awards if they truly wanted to.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

We do try. It is not a regular occurrence, maybe one or two cars per event, if that. I will bring it up in our weekly meeting though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.