Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tade: 1956 Ford for a 1940 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 12, 2012.

?
  1. 1940 Mercury

85 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 1956 Ford

101 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I too have an obsession with 40 mercs... I also tried to trade my coupe for a project coupe... owner said no go.... But as cool as that merc is I have to side with the vote that maybe you should wait till it doesnt break you... you will need a daily driver while you are gettin her roadworthy.

good luck with your decision..

Jeff

2. Best thing to do is let common sense prevail and stick with what you have,,it's a daily driver and dependable.

I do like the Mercury but it could be a can of worms. HRP

3. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

If it were me and being the fact a 40 merc is one of my dream cars even though that is the case I would still keep the 56 man. Drive it, finish school save some dough find yer spot (home) It looks like you like to travel... And get a second project down the line. You will thank yourself And All the guys that told ya to pass I promise!

4. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Merc is cool, but from the sound of it, you really can't swing it. Would you rather have something to look at in the shop, or being driving a cool old car? And half of what makes owning an old car fun is the memories you make in 'em. Sounds like you and your Ford already have a good start on that.....
    Bottom line- keep the Ford. You are probably gonna regret your decision either way- you'll always think of the Merc as that impossible to find car you didn't buy, and if you trade the Ford, you'll be missing your old friend.. Just my 2 cents...

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Finish school, then start your dreams..... keep your 56.

6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I say hold off and keep the ford..one thing I learned is no matter how much you think a project needs, it will end up needing even MORE then you bargained for. That ford is sweet.. and you have something to hop in and drive at a moments notice.. you get the merc.. youll have to do the..damn im going to miss this or that. .oh well maybe next year.. or the year after.. until its done.. eaiser to keep the money you have, and save more. .you never know.. if he has it today.. he might have it next month or 6 months later when you have even more money saved and a backup car to get around with.

7. Model T1

Model T1

Even before reading the other posts I vote to keep your 56 for now. I'd love to have the 40 Merc. It is rare. It's not a coupe. it's a 2-door. That's another reason it will cost you a bundle. Because it is rare. Besides you have a million memories in your red and white Ford. Just wait.

8. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Keep the Ford,unless a 40 merc is the car you want more than any other.It appears to be a Major project.I think you can do better if you want to trade.You have a sweet car now,its allot better car than the merc

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

the merc is one cool sumbitch but it will break u .

10. id stick with the 56 unless you get acouple grand boot

11. rld14

rld14

Don't take offense, I've been right where you are.

The Mercury is a much cooler car than yours, and yours is a 4 door and 4 doors aren't cool kustoms, they're just cool old drivers. And this is coming from someone who just parked HIS Customline Fordor not 20 minutes ago. And I love my car but it is what it is, a cool old sedan but no Kustom.

However you can't afford the Merc right now. If doing this trade and getting the car back to Toronto is going to tap you out then there's no way you can swing tis unless you're happy to be without a car for the foreseeable future. It's a 72 year old car in less than ideal shape, it's gonna need a to of work to be a reliable and safe daily driver. See, there's a big difference between a car that you can drive a few miles to a local cruise and one you can drive across country.

You have a 56 year old car that's in good enough shape to drive cross country, I don't think that most people even on here can say that.

You're already ahead of the game man... Keep the Customline, enjoy it, drive the piss outta it, take care of it and keep it safe. Once you're out of school and making real money then get your 40, they're rare but they aren't THAT rare that you won't ever find another. My Lincoln is much rarer and there's 3 others like it for sale right now.

12. Trade..only if you can scrounge up enough extra cash to buy a daily driver also.

13. VonKool13

VonKool13

I like both cars, the 40 is cooler because it's older. The 56 runs and drives and it looks like you got "regulation" cuffs so your all set. Keep the 56.

14. Hambone64

Hambone64

If you keep it- i have a WICKED set of lamp housings! But that Mercury is a bad motha.

15. Hambone64

Hambone64

And dont listen to the haters. My 56 Town Sedan was the best car I ever had.

16. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

lose the door four, get the merc!!!

17. BCR

BCR

Keep the 56, give hef his jacket back, and turn those into work jeans.

Above all else.....stay in school!

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Let me think about this?........not. Mercury and chop that mother fucker.

19. belair

belair

School first, cars second. And don't get dressed in the dark ;)

20. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Your '56 is truly niiice. I didn't read the whole thread (sorry) but I'd opt for the two door. The '40's look is a true classic and if you plan on keeping one of these cars permanently; for me it'd HAVE to be the '40.

21. teddyp

teddyp

i think i met you at the rumber,s show in brooklyn your ford is a nice cool car that you are haveing fun with now if you trade you will have no car to drive and a dream in the garage as much as i like the merc isay keep the ford .i did a thread a while back on 4 dr.s look it up and see how cool 4 dr,s are done now and in the 50,s

22. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I say keep the ford!!!!:cool:

23. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

Def keep the Ford .. and your money ..

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If the Merc was a coupe, I'd say go for it but sadly, it's a school bus Merc, UGLY! Keep the 56.

25. Hahahaha mine all I buy is shrink to fit as well. They will eventually shrink down;) Thanks for offering to help man, we need more guys like you to keep this hobby alive!

26. x2!

27. Yup, I did meet you at the Rumblers show. I won Farthest Distance at that show. I had the '56 there as I do with many shows. Thanks!

28. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Moose!

Hey man-- we miss you in San Jose. Couple pieces of likely-useless .02 cents, since you asked:

1) timing is everything. the 40 Merc will strap you and if you dont have the bigger cash to put in it now, dont lose the joy of having a running, reliable car. Think-- without your reliable '56, you wouldnt have gone around the country with it. be patient, and better will come-- when timing works. Going carless, many times, digs a hole too deep for too long. i've been there myself...

2) i think your 4 door is cooler than my first car, as well as most others first cars on here. so, thus far, you seem to be doing pretty damned well Mitch... ignore the "im too cool for 4 doors gang" that can sometimes form here-- follow your own path and cruise your 4 door with pride-- as i know you do.

3) same goes for fashion advise-- enjoy figuring out who you are, as a youngster-- and tune up as you grow up.

when you coming back to visit? oh, and Anissa says hi.

take care,

-scott noteboom

29. U-235

U-235

Don't let the "nay sayers" put down your 4-door custom....there are prenty of 4-door custom then and now to prove it. Like the others, I love the 40 Merc 2-door sedan, but the 56 is a known enity. And if its your only transportation, you would be crazy to trade for it. What if there was an emergency and you had to drive a long distance, believe me, you wouldn't want to be driving that Merc...cars that old and in that condition are hobby cars, not to be used as daily drivers..