Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Not a question , just an observation. Having attended the West Coast Nats for the past 20+ years , I sure miss the days of pre54 cars only . Since you started letting in all the newer cars , it's kind of "watered down" the event. Since you have so many events that cater to everyone, it might be interesting for GG's oldest event to go back to their roots . I'm sure this won't happen but it looks like GG is turning into nothing more than a larger version of a weekly drive-in cruise night. In other words , nothing special.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually the name comes from Gary Meadors' nickname from his days as a razor and deodorant salesman. When he went to start his own company he was stuck for a name and someone suggested Goodguy's Gang which became Goodguys.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. KIRK!

KIRK!

It just didn't pan out financially. Internally we all loved it and it was a tough decision.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

I can't see it expanding. There are enough internal people who would not support that happening.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thursday?

6. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Sundays fill in for people that may leave early and GGs want something for everyone is BS.Its all about the money,period.

7. bad4dr

bad4dr

I'm cool with Super Sunday. It lets younger folks or those who may not have the time, cash, or skill to build a more traditional hot rod experience a Goodguys event as a participant instead of just a spectator. And everybody has to start somewhere. As long as it stays American; I have no interest in seeing Civics with grapefruit-shooter exhaust tips anywhere near a Goodguys event. If I wanna see that crap, I'll stroll through the local impound yard...

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, if there's nothing for people to come see on Sunday there's no money coming in. Good businesses provide good services and try to make money doing it, that's all Goodguys is trying to do. I'm guessing you work for free.

Car attendance on Sundays is regularly 20-25% of that on Saturday.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good perspective. Personally I share your view.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Give the pre-73 crowd something to stay for on Sunday besides just the awards and it's a win/win for everyone.

You will ALWAYS have those folks that use Sunday as a travel day. NHRA found a solution for their Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Greem KY and their three day show is now, Thur, Fri and Sat. The last two years Thursday has been way more busy and crowded then Sundays use to be. People are funny creatures, they are more willing to take a Thursday off work to attend an event, heaven forbid they should miss the first day of the show, then take a Monday off for travel OR not be home for Sunday dinner???:rolleyes:

Perfect example......a few years ago at Columbus my Dad tells me he's going to head home on Sunday morning with the rest of the group. They are leaving Sunday morning at 7AM! What the F#@K I say to myself and to my Dad, what in the world are you going to do once you get home at 10AM!?? He's going to relax he said. I reminded him that he is retired and he relaxes every day. The whole situation made no sense and still doesn't.

I work bright and early monday mornings yet am willing to stay till the end of a good event on Sunday afternoons even if it means getting home at 11pm or so. I just don't understand some peoples adversion to what....driving in the dark, missing a favorite Sunday evening TV program, missing Dinner at Grandma's house, mowing the lawn, housework, you get the picture. All stuff that can be done at another time.

Give me GREAT cars to look at and COOL peeps to talk to and I'm there to the end and in the case of Columbus I've been the very last car to pull out of the fairgrounds many times.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

I can dig it!

12. bad4dr

bad4dr

Hey Kirk, regarding Super Sunday...

I live in Columbus, and I registered my '56 Chevy for the event. Didn't drive it Friday, as I was still working bugs out, took my daily driver and went as a spectator. Drove the '56 Saturday, had a great time. Saturday night it starts acting up on me, so I decide to leave it home Sunday. Now, my driver is a '95 Impala SS. I thought that I might take it for Super Sunday, but it cost $20 to register and only $6 to park and go as a spectator. Would have been nice if I could have used my registration for the '56 to get my Impala into the event on Sunday. I get that it's a business, and Goodguys isn't a charity, but has there been any thought given to situations like this, where a member's registration is good for any vehicle that meets that particular day's criteria (so long as only one vehicle is present at a time)? I could see a case where a member has a shoebox, a Model A, and a newer Camaro and would like to take each car to the event on different days but doesn't want to pay three separate registration fees. Thoughts?

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually it's not something we're going to put on a flyer or the website, but you can bring your late model to Super Sunday if you already have a paid registration.

14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Kirk -

First off on Super Sunday, I think it's a good idea....it's a gamble for sure, but I think it can pay off. Anyone who attends a GG show all three days knows that attendance on Sunday is lower than that of Friday and Saturday. If Super Sunday entices more of the public (or even guys who may not have a pre '73 car) out to the show, then you can get those people exposed to the show in a different way than someone just walking in through the spectator gate....and maybe peak their interest enough that they support the industry, hobby, and show by starting on a pre ’73 car.

I look at it this way….I’m 25 years old, and 98% of my generation has no interest in street rods, let alone traditional hot rods. Other than being involved from friends or family, the only hope for getting people exposed to traditional cars are mainstream magazines…..and you guys have seen what’s in those nowadays (except for TRJ). The first car show I went to was the GG Des Moines show when I was 7 years old….and there’s no doubt that it helped continue my interest in cars. Sure, my interests have changed and evolved since then, but where else are you going to get the diversity of cars, and the industry that supports it in one place?......and besides, the people that complain about Super Sunday are mostly concerned they won’t be able to power park, or be seen for the Gazette....

But back to the question that you asked:

I think the introduction of autocrosses over the past years have increased the amount of protouring cars at shows – not to mention the amount of protouring cars being built. It gives other attendees, and the spectators, a chance to see what these cars were built for. Are there any other events on the horizon to promote other genres of cars?.....maybe some reliability runs, etc?

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good stuff, thanks!

16. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I've been going to Goodguys Columbus for 14 years now & really enjoy the show This years heat was tough Was talking to a buddy & he commented how you guys were working through the heat non stop & deserve a Thank you from all of us Thank you! The road couse is placed in the middle of the parking lot & the special parking area's are pushed across the street To me it only makes sense to put the road course over there ( for safety also ) & bring the parking back to what it once was Over the years the vendors & now the road course just make parking more difficult I think. I'm not in favor of Super Sunday myself

17. Gator

Gator

Appreciate you at least asking for input Kirk, maybe if NSRA had at least polled their members they wouldn't have had so many jump ship.

My 2 cents on the 'Super Sunday' deal - although I understand the motives behind it, I personally don't like it seems like kind of a 'just let me put the tip in' deal.

BUT - I never go on Sunday's anyway... even though I'm just a half hour out. Denise's suggestion has some merit with me. The only real reason for a GG member to go back on Sunday right now is if they've won an award - if there were more going on maybe there'd be more participation...

18. eddie1

eddie1

Not sure I want to see Kirk in a wet t-shirt.

Sorry Kirk.

19. blue57ford

blue57ford

Damn! I thought storks brought them.

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, it was miserable, especially for those of us who have to walk in it all day, but there are worse things to do for a living.

We originally wanted the AutoCross in the Cardinal Lot (where special areas are now), but the AutoCross is very hard on the asphalt and we're not allowed to eat up that lot.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

You don't know what you're missing!

22. "Is that your actual photo in your avatar?"

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well, it is slightly Photoshopped to make me look thinner.

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

There used to be 4 shows within my "easy drive time" from Michigan, now only 2.

Are you looking at adding more shows at different locations?

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Always! Send in suggestions if you have an idea about a new venue.

26. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

Damn I'm a geek. 1:48PM

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Hey Kirk!
    Got a comment on the preregister/premail issue?
    It is a big timeburner especially for us that have attended for years.
    Maybe that could be a new added bonus of membership.

Bill

28. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Corvettes,cameros,mustangs,challangers,what the hell they are todays hot rods,dont have a problem on sundays,but rice burners and tuners and Donks with there 20 foes let them do their thing some wheres else or get their dollars and I will keep mine:DQuit NSRA and I can do good guys the same way.Maybe next year I will just spend $20 for sunday instead of the $90:confused:You guys did and have always been one of my favorite shows,Maybe special parking for late stuff like in the back 40.:D But if you keep it 72 and older is best thats what I think is best.My clubs friday nite cruz in is getting overrun with late stuff,late corvettes come in and about 40 of em get there early take all the good parking then the others come in with really nice stuff that they built and have to park with the grocery carts.But I think thats about to change. It was hotter than hell but was a blast and ALOT of nice cars keep it up best show going!

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

How do you mean?

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good stuff. Nice to meet you in Columbus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.