Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Looking Good Kevan!!

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Doing a nice job Kevan.

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

This is bitchin!!!!!!

4. swissmike

swissmike

Looking good! How much clearance do you have between frame and axle? Will you c-notch the frame? How about the torque tube tunnel in the floor? I am collecting as much information as possible fo my 39 Merc build ;-)

5. servi53

servi53

excellent progress on a very cool car and recent history, good one to watch I'm tuned in

6. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey Swissmike, right now there is only about 3 inches clearance between the frame and axle so it will need to be C-notched. Yes the torque tube is getting close to the tunnel so I will need to raise it. Good luck on your 39!

7. sled

sled

Kev,nice trick on the crossmember...you made my day!!

I noticed that you mounted some different wheels on it to get the right back stance height the correct one,did you?

So ,after you've been done with the back you'll know exactly know much drop on the front axle as we spoked..one and a half inches higher for that correct taildragging stance??Or a bit more?

Keep up the great work bro

8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Glad to see you recovered from the shifter party and back at it, car is looking good.

9. swissmike

swissmike

Kevan, thanks for the info!
    Here is something I have been wondering for a while: Shouldn't the motor/trans angle have to be changed on a severly lowered car with torque tube because the changed angle between transmission and torque tube will result in cyclical change of the rotational speed of the drive shaft, identical to an improperly set up rear end angle on a open dirve shaft car? This would probably result in a combination of lowering the front motor mounts and raising the rear transmission mounts.

10. speters

speters

Great read and a great build! I look forward to seeing more!

11. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

You might be over thinking it Mike. Im mean your probably right, but Im going to lower the front of the car about 3 1/2 to 4 inches so it will actually level out quite a bit. I've been driving my merc for years this way without any problems.

12. swissmike

swissmike

Yeah I've been accused of that before haha...

13. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Great job going on here.I definitively will be keeping tabs on this build.

14. sled

sled

swiss perfection on action,ah,ah,ah...

15. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Miguel! yeah Im back to work after my week long hangover. I blame it all on your Jungle juice!:p

16. Cool Kev, I just found this thread and love these Mercs. Man. You got your work cut out for you on this one. Lots of repair work. So you finally straightened up after last weekends hoopla? My back is just starting to feel a little better. I'm sure you would like to poke me a few more times just to let me know where it hurts.(That sounded kinda gay huh?) I have been so messed up this last week with my PPE injury. Gettin' old sucks! Love Miguel's stories. Miguel your a jewel man! Should be fun to watch this one unfold. Full speed ahead!

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

Read this from first to last. Awesomeness!

18. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Kevan looking great ,neat trick on that crossmember

19. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Got the trunklid about done. Still gotta finish welding the inner structure but at least the outside skin is strait. these decklids have a lot of shape so this was no easy task. the 39-40 merc coupe trunklids are nearly impossible to find and they are always smashed or rusted out. Anyway, this one is nice and strait now!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  20. fucking looking great Kev! I take it your fixing all the rust repair / body damage before starting on the haircut?

21. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Keith! Yeah I wanted to get the majority of the damage fixed before chopping it. Now most of thats done (besides the doors) and Im going to start the chop next week.

22. Muttley

Muttley

Cool deal, its amazing how ugly the stock lid is on those things.

23. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Very nice work on that deck lid!! Skill and patience for sure.

24. sololobo

sololobo

I know some Mexican gangsters in San Diego that are hotrodders, they would like to chat with that truck driver. (just kidding) Maybe! ~sololobo~

25. 38zephyr

38zephyr

That last picture looks so good , I can't wait for the chop !

26. swissmike

swissmike

Kevan, have you found an easy way to strip out the tar insulation on the inside of the body panes before you do body work? What does everybody else do when they completely stirp or mediablast a car - leave it in place and only bother with it if necessary?

27. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yeah that stuff is nasty. My rule of thumb is to pretty much work around it. If I need to remove it for a patch panel then I will lightly heat it up with a torch then scape off the area im going to work. When you heat it up make sure the garage door is open and try to wear a resparator.

28. swissmike

swissmike

29. wallyringo

wallyringo

shot go down their for a little trip. Guadalajara is a awesome city, if we had cash to burn.