Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frankenstein Door Panel... thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyberdyne, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I wouldn't say it's a RR but it's over chopped and cartoonish...

2. Gromit

Gromit

40's 50's were the hey-day of Monster pictures. Creature features were where you would cool off on a Saturday afternoon if you weren't working... and the Big Daddy Roth had the whole Monster thingy going. There's a cultural connection I think. Thank heavens it was creature features and not musicals.. can you picture a "Sound of Music" Themed rod?:eek:

3. I like radical chops myself I know they are not for everyone. As far as cartoonish It was inspired by early 60's radical Kustoms and if you know those you can see the inspiration to look like it does.

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

well put gromit. a connection for sure there.... no sound of music rod for me:eek:

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

It's your ride. If you are more interested in people looking at your car just for the sake of looking at it than having something with a traditional feel, go for it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. I was kinda expecting the fonz,,:D HRP

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

why are a few of you guys gettin hot because he was told it wasnt cool or didnt look good whatever.hell man he asked the fuckin question and he got the answers.let him deal with it.no need for us to throw shit at each other.

8. Looks good but remember don't over do it or else you'll wind up with a theme car. Kind like an OCC chopper.

9. I agree. Sell it to me and ill turn it into something like this.

[​IMG]

Most of the monster themed hot rods i see usually turn out bad. I would stick to a mild custom.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Personally, I've never found the connection between WW2 warbirds/bombers and '32 Fords...bomber seats in a roadster...Why...??? Aircraft gauges in the dash...why...??? Aircraft seatbelts...why...???

And Foose built one with an ugly nose cone on it and an even uglier green paint...and you guys have to rag on this guy about Frankenstein...wow...

R-

11. I actually, very much, agree with you. Never understood "themed" vehicles.

Another vote for a nice mild, classy custom.

BloodyKnuckles

12. Gator

Gator

The guy DID ask for opinions...

And nobody said anything was a piece of shit, but a LOT of the cars those mags feature (and most rat rods in general) are built strictly for "Look at ME!!!" shock value - over-chopped, cartoonish proportions, road signs and license plates used for floor boards, gigantic flamethrowers, skulls, spiderwebs, etc etc ad nauseum.

13. Pharouh

Pharouh

I get the feeling this is a low budget project.
    Am I right?
    I kind of like the idea,just don't get too tacky with it. You know-good concept,bad design.
    it's your car,and it can always be changed later.

14. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

Are you building the car for us ? or for yourself?
    Who gives a sh!t what any of us thinks you have to live with so do what you would like.
    As you get older your styles will change and so will your car.
    BUILD YOUR CAR NOT WHAT THE INTERNET SAYS TO BUILD!!!
    IMO I like it.

15. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I like it,but who cares what I think.You should build your stuff for you,who cares what anyone else thinks.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was in the Navy, I used to draw a lot. One day a shipmate asked me to draw "Bart Simpson". His idea was to have a tat done on his arm. I thought he was "drunk talking", but I drew it anyway. Well, a couple days later, he shows up and there's BART! A big 6"X4" tat! After a couple years, Bart wasn't cool anymore. But there he was... stuck on that guys arm.

I get your idea and it's your car. At least you'll be able to change your mind.

17. 29tudor

29tudor

I dig it man, make your ride the You want. If people don't like it, don't look at it

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is some sort of photoshop joke right? I didn't dare open it and look at it fullsize.:eek:

[​IMG]

19. FANTM58

FANTM58

And possibly an avatar !!!

20. Why did you want to do this to yourself? It's obvious that your proud of what you did. And theme or no theme not a bad idea for a low buck fix, hell I could see this done with pin ups or old decals ect ect. But as soon as you mention rat rods or Ol Skol your asking for a shit storm, Good Luck

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I learned this on another forum. Some guy asked for ideas for front bumpers on his truck. I posted some pictures of my truck with what I think is a pretty neat roll pan. Three pages later, the guy still didn't have any pictures of cool bumper ideas, but he was told repeatedly that those trucks really only look good with original bumpers.
    Now, I don't comment on anyones post about how do you like my.............

We sure can get picky about what's right on a given car. I'll bet most of us did something to one of our cars that we wouldn't do again. I wouldn't put a straight axle under my '55 Chevy, or the flip up fiberglass front end, but it sure was cool at the time.

22. i thought for sure this thread would have been closed by now.

23. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

If we had parents that would check the kids rooms and confiscate all the Z magazines and other hazardous materials.........and then use the parental controls on the TV and Internet to block all the American Chopper type material that poses a hazard to young minds......maybe we wouldn't be discussing a monster "theme" car on the HAMB.

24. where's the one star, rating guy when you need him?

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

"I wouldn't say it's a RR but it's over chopped and cartoonish..."
    Response :

Alot of "traditional" cars have been "overly chopped"
    [​IMG]

Who cares.. do what you like.. to hell with everyone else's opinions..

Unless that is what you wanted.. if you are looking for approval the hamb isnt the right venue for certain forms of creativity..

My opinion:

I myself approve of your out of the box door panel idea and like it for the sole reason that you took the initiative to be different..

Hot rodding and customizing was formed upon the foundation of the art of individualism, when in fact it seems most people that build a so called "traditional" hot rod or custom is in fact doing the same things and not doing things that are outside the box or different like it was intended from the old days..

Self expression in hot rodding is hard to do when everyone copies everyone's customization ideas, tricks, and methods....

(I know... by saying that, some will cry and get upset because they disagree.. but that is the fantastic world of freedom of speech and the right to our own opinions) :D

26. Why would it be Photoshop? I don't even know how to run that program and many people have seen the car in person. Drove it to the HAMB drags 2 years ago if you had been there you could have seen it.

27. Pharouh is correct here. Door panels are an easy fix if at a later date one becomes unhappy with them.

There is a '31 here in town that is all but perfect. Nice stance, good solid paint, late poncho, nothing freakish. It has formica door panels, like the old stuff that used on dinner tables in the '50s ans '60s. The people are my age and the lady drives it to and from every day rain or shine summer or winter and has for as long as I can remember. They used the formica from their old dinner table from when they were raising the kids. The lady always laughs when someone asks and says I can change the door panels when I decide to.

If you don't get all freaky with the stuff you can't change easily there is nothing wrong with being a little goofy with the stuff you can. Sometimes you just have to do something that makes you giggle.

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Well said. :p

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

29. Gromit

Gromit

YEAH!!! SOMEONE GETS IT!!!!!!

That's been my aproach to my toys for years.. I mean check the Union Jack Flames in my Avatar! It made me smile, it was over the top.. I had a blast and annoyed the concours types at the British Car Shows i took it to :).

I like the radical chop on the dodge, cartyoonish? maybe, but I'd roll in that all day everyday (If I could fit...)

What cheeses me off is the guys saying crap like do the car a favour and sell it.. get a life. When it's your car you can F*** it up anyway you like. There's been nothing drastic structurally done here. just some personalized decoration. The way sone guys are going on you'd think he'd polished it with an angle grinder.

30. hotdamn

hotdamn

Im not one to chime in on bs conevrsations like this too often but seriously bro, Your car is fine, its your car. thats awesome, your car is not traditional. first off if you weld up the rear door on a 4 dr you need to put a set of 2 door door in the front, second chopping a car so heavily with a roof that big is acceptable if it has perfect flow, this does not.

Once again not trying to bag on your wheels but cmon...

third that rear window is an an early rear window, it came from a car with completely different lines and is incongruent with the early 60's time period you are referring too.

that said, I like the front and rear treatments, I think those look good.

I also remember reading the article 8 years or so ago when your car was featured in OSR, I know this was first chop and you got balls in and did it.

thats cool.

but it doesnt make it traditional.

I figured out a while back that when people have written in a classified ad, "This thing gets more attention that 100k street rods" that is not a car that interest me.

I know that my car is chopped correctly when I go through the Taco Bell drive through and the 17 year old kid working the window never mentions my car being chopped.

as for the initial post with frankinstien, I dig franky too bro but why make your car look like a rolling Spencers?

you seriously have a rad car bro, a set of 3" blocks in the back, a set of 6.70 www's, nice set of caps and shes bangin till you get some bread to do her up all fancy.

and again not trying to bag on anyones car, I like most around here feel very passionately about traditional cars, almost in a mother bear kind of way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.