Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Can't Gut Tractor Grilles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Stupid thread #6 kabillion

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You think you are kidding but you aren't. I have seen a 32 Ford tractor in a junk yard. I even know who built it.

During WW2 an old mechanic I knew, built 22 tractors or sometimes called "auto tracs". He would start with an old car or truck, strip off the fenders, running boards, most of the body, and fasten a truck rear axle solid to the frame. Then mount a second transmission between the trans and rear end ( 10 speeds forward and 3 reverse).

I found one in a local junk yard, way back against the back fence. It sat there for 30 years. I wanted to buy it but couldn't figure out how to get it out, the yard was packed solid with cars, hundreds of them, between there and the front gate. But how many 32 Fords do you see in junkyards?

About 10 years ago they finally cleared out the yard when the old owner sold out and retired. I told him I wanted that 32 Ford tractor, and a 56 Packard that sat next to it, but could never figure out how to get them out.

He said you should have told me. I would have taken the crane around the other side of the fence and lifted them out.

Oh well.

3. birdman42

birdman42

I run an Oliver 70 grille with the top of a 1935 dodge grille to give it a chin.I have had nothing but positive commints on it and even a few old farmers arguing about when Oliver made a truck.

4. Picture of your ride (any of them) Waddayacare ???? lol a little touché for my t-bucket is in order here

5. F1ZZY

F1ZZY
    from Gering, NE

Putting a tractor grille on a hot rod is almost as cool as putting a diesel engine in one. It's NOT! In fact my two cents is anything that has a diesel motor is very douchie. Granted old tractors had steam and gas motors but it is a tractor people!

6. A lot of people who criticize are vicious (not necessarily this thread). Many of them probably can't even turn a screw or even own a "traditional" hot rod. So I think if some of you wanna pile on then pony up your own car for scrutiny.

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I definitely wouldn't put a tractor shell on my roadster anymore than I would paint it pink and trim the passenger compartment with orange tartan, but then again, I don't give a shit really. It's not my car.

8. Doh!

9. I bought a Oliver 70 tractor grill to put on the car in my avatar, I wanted something different but after I mocked it up it didn't work for me, IMO tractor grills are for tractors. I sold it and lost money.

10. ironpile

ironpile

IMHO they are for that class of vehicles? that are unspeakable on this forum.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Some work, some don't. It all depends on the effort.

Sent from my bathroom

12. Ha ha, I know the cars he owns, none are old enough to be on this forum and defiantly not traditional. That being said his cars do look good for their intended build but anyone on THIS traditional hot rod forum could bash him as he is bashing. On another forum his cars are pretty cool, just saying.....lol

13. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

We have never been fans of tractor grills on hot rods because to us they usually look like just that , tractor grills stuck on the front of a hot rod. Putting a tractor grill or for that matter any thing on a hot rod seemingly without rime or reason usually doesn't seem to work visually to us .
    Having said that IF that part can become a part of the look and add to the line , proportion and flow of the hot rod then you can end up with something very Kool and unique . We were asked to build a 34 five window with a different nose . The owner did not want a stock grill or a track nose and when he saw the Cockshutt tractor nose hanging on the wall he said " that's it ".
    It' can be a matter of opinion if we reached our goal .
    We have NO TIME for someone who grows a set of balls while sitting behind their computer tearing down those who take the chances and build things . We just thought we would toss our tractor nose attempt into the mix.
    The Bones

Attached Files:

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

It just doesnt make sense to me. The whole idea of a hotrod is to make it go or at least look fast.Putting a tractor grille on it which is the first thing anyone notices instantly gives a first thought of slow as in what a tractor does. They are opposite functioning vehicles.I guess the shock value of all this is what the builder could be after but again the whole idea of a hotrod is to be or at least look fast.

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That looks fucking awesome!

16. Tractor grilles are for "Tractors"

Tractors are for "Farmers"

Farmers are for "Barn Jobs

guess all that leaves is the question on how everyone relates to "barn finds" lol o waite thats got its own thread too

17. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

If it looks good, why hate it? If it looks like shit, then piss on it. But I think Crookshanks' beef is with cars like this:

[​IMG]

18. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

even the tractor grills that are done "right" do not look good.... cuz its a fucking tractor grill, dont put it on a car

19. Tractor grilles = Rat rods

20. Hummm........

Interesting!

So you think I haven't been down this road.

Ha Ha!

Well, it seems to me you've been listening to the wrong people again.

That's quite alright! I know where I've been and what I am knowledgeable in. Others do as well!

That's okay though, I like my anonymity. :cool:

Don't worry... you're still alright in my book! So far! ;)

21. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Attached Files:

22. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

The way I look at the world, if something looks terrible, it does so as a whole, and not because of one part... If you see a rat rod with 8 foot square tube headers that are ment to look like spider legs, semi-truck tires in back, air bags, spraypainted on "patina", a big #13 on the door, skulls and spider webs everywhere, etc, etc... Would it make a difference weather or not it had a tractor grill? I think not. I think hating something simply for the fact that it came from a tractor is asinine... If something doesn't look good, it doesn't look good PERIOD. I don't care what It's from, ugly is ugly.

I can't stand the look of those oval Ford truck grills ('35ish??) even on a bone stock truck... Would one of those look better than any tractor grill on a rod? I dunno cuz it would depend on what the tractor grill looks like.

The red coupe posted above looks perfect, like it was meant to be there. I've seen pics of it before and thought it was some kind of Mopar grill... Very kool!

Also the one with the Ford tractor grill is bad ass, too. I mean no offense to the owner, but it makes me think of the old riding mower sitting behind Fieldbrook Market (which for the record is the koolest lawn mower I've ever scene)!!

23. Well!!!!! I am not riding with you. Next thing is you won't carry my purse when we are out shopping. :D:D:D

24. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Because even Indy cars with diesels are "douchie"

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715272

If something flows and is done right I'm fine with it but most look like shit

25. indianhead74

indianhead74

Saw a Commercial Deuce grille on a stationary engine at a farm auction a couple of years ago, I understand the use of tractor grilles as a cheap alternative to a trad set-up, but I spent too much time behind Olivers and M-M's to want to use them on my hot rods. Indy

26. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I'm sorry, but this looks like crap!

27. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into some of those tractor-like rods. I'd also bet, that if their built right they are a hell of a good time to drive. So are tractors! Kudos to the craftsmen behind them. But dammit, a 20s-30s American Rod deserves a proud face. It's kind of like a Supermodel wearing Billy Bob teeth.

28. I think this one is a gasser. :p

Shoot man...set that body down on a low chassis, ditch the headlights, add some streamliner type front fenders and you're ready for Bonneville!

Attached Files:

29. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

you are a visionary. thats absolutely correct

30. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

You sir, are correct... thanks for reminding me. Rolling Bones had me regretting I said anything... that tractor nose they did looks pretty f**king good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.