Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see; Creative "3rd BRAKE LIGHTS"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What creative ideas did you come up with for a 3rd Brake Light?

2. dugbred

dugbred

I made this about 15 years ago. It's in the shape of a '39 Ford taillight. The housing and bezel are investment cast aluminum. The bezel for the blue dot is spun aluminum. The base swivels, and is machined aluminum. I built molds to injection mold the red lens, and the blue dot. It only took me about a year's worth of free time to make. I made a few extra at the time, thinking I might sell some, but they take too much time, effort, and money to make.

Attached Files:

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That could be pretty cool as a motorcycle tail light

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

I bought one. Nostalgia-Products IIRC

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

6. dugbred

dugbred

Thanks. You were one of about 6. I hope it met your expectations. After the first few I had cast, the company that did the casting went out of business, and the tooling was lost, stolen, or scraped.

7. A couple of small block Chevy 5.7 L rods bolted together. A 2" clearance light from Trucklite fits into the big end of the rods, a little silicone to glue the grommet in and away you go. Use a L.E.D. for brightness. It's also used as a step to get into the back of the truck.

Attached Files:

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Well I had a skull with a hat on it that came off my bro's T bucket from way back, I drilled out its eyes and put in two red LED's..
    My daughter kinda came up with the idea,( it was a group effort) thought it at least looked better than the typical 3rd light..might keep it..might not
    dont really care who likes it or not, either. I know skulls kinda get the brush off here, We think its cool, and thats all that matters.
    sorry about the window reflection..im not a camera man

[​IMG]

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I have seen red dots used. They are the same size as blue dots.

10. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I have one with chrome wings with LEDs in the center for the eyeball, I have one on my 29 pickup and one on my 32 RPU. I have a couple of extras on the bench. Let me know if any one is interested in one. Dale

Attached Files:

11. I picked up some NOS late model spoilers at an auction and a couple have single row LED third lights in them. Already stashed one to pull the light and see how creatively I can use it, although it may just end up at the top or bottom of the rear window, inside it.

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

1948 Chev. Aero Cp. Custom, using 1958 Chev roof scoop for 3rd. brake light.

Attached Files:

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm going to use a Model A taillight. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to mount it...

Attached Files:

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

why would one want a 3rd brake light? sorry i dont get it?

15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Safety sort of. Too many people not paying attention these days and as small as some of the older vehicles tail lights are an extra light doesn't hurt, It might even help ya never know.

16. pitman

pitman

May the next slacker car approaching your ride at the stop, see your three lights, and stop.

17. Jimv

Jimv

Brake pedal is the third pedal!! Simple!!lol
    JimV

18. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I think that's feakin' awesome!

People are so accustomed to high mount brake lights these days, if a car doesn't have one, your odds of getting rear ended are probably greater.
    There is a whole generation driving these days that have never known cars to not have them.
    I know what you are saying though..

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, we've heard it all before...

We all need to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Which I guess means drivers that are drunk/stoned out of their skull and driving while texting/talking on cellphones, etc.

I think I'd rather get rid of my Roadster or park it, than messing it up with all the "must have" safety gadgets...

20. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

That's the term I was searching my for!
    Too many so called safety innovations just end up making drivers more complacent.

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

22. SimonSez

SimonSez

It's a legal requirement here, so made the best of it and used this ...

Attached Files:

23. What's next? "Let's see your driver's side airbag installation" and "traditional anti-lock brake set-ups" threads?

sheesh.

24. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"I think I'd rather get rid of my Roadster or park it, than messing it up with all the "must have" safety gadgets... "

Yup!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

26. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

A row of radio shack LED's monuted in my plate topper.

Attached Files:

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've been driving oddball cars all my driving years & have seen my fair share of close call from people trying hard to check out the ride , and in turn aren't paying attention to the small brakelights on older cars . I figure a 3rd brakelight can't hurt , so my shoebox will be rockin' a Model A taillight (on a custom mount) as a 3rd brakelight . I don't give a damn if it's not truly "traditional" if it'll give my old ride a fighting chance against all the idiots that seem to be flooding our streets lately .

28. Mark68

Mark68

" I don't give a damn if it's not truly "traditional" if it'll give my old ride a fighting chance against all the idiots that seem to be flooding our streets lately .[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
    I agree,i'm definitly going to make something for my A when i get that far, and for my o/t 68 ford truck i'm workin on now it has a factory bed/cargo light that i will adapt some led's into and it will be in the same location as the newer trucks.Hopefully making more noticable to this " younger generation". Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.