Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Twin Engine Coupling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedticket13, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

Looking to connect two injected small block chevys via/ two sprockets and a double chain. Does anyone out there know what size chain and sprockets are stong enough? Pictures would be a great help.Thank You!

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think the number was 80...Be sure to cut an extra woodruff keyway 180 degrees from the original at the crank snout of the rear engine. One is not enough.

Pictures are archived in Street Rodder magazine, look up Tom McMullen's "Chevy Two" project, it was an Anglia or Thames with 2 Chevys. Street driven...

Big Willie looked underneath at a street race one night, and exclaimed: "This mutha's got TWO oil pans!"

3. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

Thanks for the quick reply, No ideas on sprocket size O.D.?

4. F&J

F&J

Do a google on "chain coupler", maybe on a site like Boston Gear, ..or Morse Chain might be better.

I'd be thinking that the diameter changes with the sprocket bore sizes, but not sure.

Anyways, it is called a chain coupler, so you should be able to find a chart with listings by chain number size.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How are you wanting to position the engines? Side by side, or one in front of the other?

6. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

one in front of the other. inline twin front engine dragster...

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It doesn't really matter as long as both sprockets are the same size. It works best to have sprockets bigger than the flywheel bolt pattern, so you can drill one sprocket to bolt on the rear of the crank.

8. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Sprocket diameter shouldn't be an issue, the bores on the sprockets are tapered to accept a hub, which is available in different sizes depending on the shaft diameter. I don't know if the hubs available for two woodruff keys, so some machine shop time may be required.

9. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

So basicaly a sprocket bigger then the flywheel bolt pattern, and 80 chain, and cut an extra keyway in the rear motors crank snout.

10. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Although I havent run my twin eng project yet I hope that its going to work like this [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

I like that idea but this is a restoration of a dragster, were trying to keep it as original as possible.

12. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Just trying to help... dident know this was a recycle thing