Register now to get rid of these ads!

FREE vintage trailer!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jul 9, 2012.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ha! Too late, it's already in my back yard! We dragged home the '47 Spartan Manor given to us (nothing is really free, but the buy in was certainly fair) today after a weekend road trip. Just click on the link: http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/ , to "Cool McCool's Garage" for the whole story, and follow along as we turn this sows ear into a silk purse. It should be fun!

Brian

Attached Files:

2. My buddy collects those. I think he has a Manor already. They're nice inside -

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Damn thats awsome. I was looking at a 1958 airstream yesterday. Its being used for a storage ahes right now. I offered a new shed for it. The lady is thinking about it. Thays a great find. Whats the plans ?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like the wrap around windows on the Spartans. Very cool score!!!

5. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! Plans for this one are sort of along the lines of the new Airstreams. Contemporary urban chic. Lots of polished aluminum, exotic hardwoods, clean and slick. We've done the vintage kitch thing already, time for something new.

Fun fact, a 454 powered dually with 4:56's gets 12 mpg empty, and 12 mpg towing.

Brian

7. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I need more gear in my old truck, it gets 11 not towing and 10 towing, with 3.73s. Maybe the problem is I drive too fast.

That sure is a neat trailer, thanks for braggin on it!

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Cool trailer! I have some good friends who live in a remote part of Kentucky and lived in a 40's mobile home/travel trailer for several years while they renovated their 1800's log home. Those things are so cool and so well engineered inside. Great find!

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks Squirrel. The truck WILL go 80, but it's much more relaxed at 55!

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd cut the back end out and haul my dragster. LOL. :D BTW, I make 16 mpg. Hee hee.

11. aircap

aircap

Spartans are cool!
    Made in Tulsa, and as nice as any Airstream.

12. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

13. Dang Brian, you do find the cool stuff! My F-350 with a 460 get's 7 with the Alaskan and the Uni in tow. I'd like to do much better.

Don't bother with the "get a chebbie" comments, ain't gonna happen. Actually I have one but it doesn't have the power to pull the load.

14. Got that right! I've always wanted one. ;):D

[​IMG]

15. sololobo

sololobo

I like the plan, uber cool trailer. Best wishes for a succesful build. ~sololobo~

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Score!

how does the inside look, Brian?

I see a little of it in the photos, cant wait to see what you do with her

17. Great find Brian. Love the plans - sounds very cool.

Is it true that there is 12 square miles of aluminum to polish on this one (or does it just feel like there is when your half way done)??? LOL

18. mramc1

mramc1

That thing is badass. I can't believe people used to drag trailers that big around with '40s and '50s cars! I don't like towing a loaded car trailer behind my van and it weighs 6300 lbs and has big brakes. Can you imagine pulling that trailer through a mountain pass with a '47 Ford sedan?!!

19. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

That's totally my dream for an old trailer. I want one with an interior comparable to the houses in "Dwell" magazine...

I gotta get over there to meet you in person.
    -tom

20. Gromit

Gromit

Nice! I like those. I saw a "breadloaf" type trailer cut through our parking lot a couple weeks ago.. I would have followed it if I wasn't covered in grease...

I'd love to locate one of those some day.

21. farmer12

farmer12

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, I'm not nearly as intesting in person! Any time, just pm me or come out to Gilmore's cruise night on Wed, I'm usually there!

Brian

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Spartan trailers were better than Airstream. Better built and nicer interiors. The wood inside is incredible.

I have a 1947 Spartan brochure in which they describe towing a new Manor from Wichita to Winnipeg Manitoba for winter testing. They towed it with a 6 cylinder Chev, no problems. The trailer is incredibly light for its size and they said the front is slanted so that, at highway speeds, the air pressure lifts the tongue weight off the car.

If there is enough of the interior left to restore you should keep it, possibly with different upholstery, curtains and counter tops.

This site has some descriptions of Spartan restorations.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Where do you find all the cool shit you drag home lol! Is this one gonna be done in a few months too ? :D

25. That's pretty cool. My wife's sisters', brothers' grandmother has a 56 GMC school bus that someone long ago turned into a motor home. It is now used for storing her stuff. I'm trying to get her to give it to me. I may have to get her a new storage shed. Oh well it would be worth it.

26. OK, Brian, are you looking to expand your travel trailer restoration hobby into something that actually pays you money? You sure wind up with some nice pieces!