Register now to get rid of these ads!

I found this 49/50 Mercury along the road forsale today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

What do you think? I've always wanted a 50 Merc. Its a 4 door, but it's priced pretty right.

Attached Files:

2. BOBBYA312

BOBBYA312
    BANNED
    from Ala

Why ask what we think? You are the one spending the money and living with the yellow paint!!!

3. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Always has to be one to start the bashing, must make some feel better to belittle others. Builds self esteem. Or maybe looking for the approval of others.

All he wanted was an opinion.

I say its cool, minus the painted bumpers

4. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I want comments on the body mods, not the paint.

!!! !!! !!! !!!

5. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

Hey be kool on the yellow paint!!I still like mine !!...and edlebroke .remember its still a 4-door.if that is exactly what you want?go for it It is a good looking Merc.I have 49 merc too. Love it.:D bob

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Molded bumpers and splash aprons look like dog dodo and the continental kit ugh !!

7. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Yeah, personally, I'd lose the Continental kit and redo that front bumper with stone guard...otherwise, pretty cool lookin'.

8. thesupersized

thesupersized

what do I think? depends on what he's asking. If you want a merc project, I'd say go for it, and reverse all the uncool shit done to it. and maybe convert it to a 2 door.

9. I like rounded hood corners on the Mercs..that is taking it to a different level.
    The lines on the Mercs are flowing curves, which this has..the front bumper fights with that, by the squareness of it.

10. Model T1

Model T1

I'm like you, always wanted a 49-51 Merc. I missed a nice chopped top 4-door because I didn't want a 4 door. I saw it finished and several others. A 4 door is way better than a no door Merc.
    If the price is right for you grab it. No way of knowing what's under the ugly yeller paint. Like I can complain about yeller? It may grow on you. I see a lot of good mods there.
    I don't care for the painted bumpers or the extrended pans but they can be changed or maybe painted another color to look different. Now days we can't be so picky!

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Obviously, some of us will like it and some won't. I have to admit it woudn't be my first choice, but I am not the one laying down the money. The molded in stuff and continental distract from what was one of the nicest designs Mercury ever created IMO. I have never liked sunvisors, but on this one it really looks bad. The spotlights are aimed up for some reason, but I guess they were supposed to lay down like usual. Hub caps also don't do much for me.

You asked for comments, that is just what my eye sees.

Don

12. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Asking price is $7500. It has a flathead V8, could be original or of that era and 3 speed on the column. Runs and drives good. Is this a steal or just what there worth.

Thanks for all the comments so far... good and bad.

13. Labold

Labold

I can't say that I really like it very much. If it were me, I'd keep shopping.
    I think the car is neat just being what it is, but it just doesn't get me going like most 49/50 Merc customs do.

14. Squablow

Squablow

If this Merc was a song, it'd be the Fat Boys version of "the Twist".

I've never seen hood corners rounded that way. That I kinda like, but I hate the painted bumpers, the continental kit, the extended front bumper pan, and the painted grille. Also the tail lights.

If the price was right and I was in the market, I'd sell the continental kit, chrome the rear bumper, swap a different grille and front bumper onto it (and cut down the front bumper pan in the process). I'd get rid of that stripe on the side, run wide whites and some different caps or wheels, and try to do something with the tail lights that wouldn't necessitate repainting the whole car.

If the price was right enough to factor in a repaint, then I'd be all over it. It's got potential if a lot of the goofy stuff was undone.

Basically, I hate it now, but I'd love to take a whack at restyling it.

You really have a knack for finding some of the oddest customs around.

15. The price is right..you could even re-coop some dollars offing the continental kit,/visor/side pipes, etc.

16. Squablow

Squablow

Asking $7500 and it runs and drives good? That's a pretty decent starting point. If you could buy this for $5K or a little better, spend a couple grand and a winter reworking it, you could have a really nice Merc.

Depending on what the interior and floors look like, I'd say that's within negotiating distance of being a really good deal.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Offer $6500 and go from there after looking it over very closely. I usually agree with many who have commented. Basically the bumper extensions are just not working but the car is not looking bad. I even like the visor which sells for several hundred bucks.
    At least tilt the spot lites down toward the fenders and change hubcaps! Hell I have 57 Caddys if I buy it.
    Don't tell, but I'd give $7500 or close if it looked nice inside and ran out well like you said.
    Let me know how low he will go if you don't want it. We are headed back to central Illinois next week.

18. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

That is A decent price ,for a merc especially all done. The seniors ....of which i am one..... .seem to doing ,the most pissin and moanin. One guy here is a biker and the other guy doesn't even show.. HE OWNS... a kustom. hhmm!! whats the matter with this picture. yellows a great color. If your gonna buy a kar, this is not the place to say to much about it .If you don't mind ridicule!!...... your all set!!:D

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Front bumpers and grill/splashpan dont work for me. Rear bumper, cont kit, tailights aint cutting it either. Lose the wheels, and the visor and the paint you already know has to go... I guess it all depends on the condition underneath that paintjob, motor interior etc..If some of that is nice shape the price seems close to reasonable with a little negotiationg it could work.

20. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

21. Squablow

Squablow

Let's say for argument you walk over there with $6K cash and the guy takes it. You sell the continental kit and Fulton visor on eBay, that'll probably net you a grand that you could spend on a different front bumper and rechroming the rear bumper.

From there, some different wheels/tires, grille, tail lights, and some detail stuff, and you'd have something pretty decent for a relatively small investment (in Mercury terms, at least). I could see that.

I'd honestly be embarrassed to be seen in it as it sits. But I could even learn to like the yellow color if the rest of the details were right.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

From what I can see in the windshield, the seats look like they are blackish rolled and pleated, so the interior might be ok. Actually, the more I look at the car I realize if you stripped off all the gingerbread and got it down to a bare shell it would probably make a good start. I would:

Lose the visor.

Lose the continental kit

Remove the extended pans front and rear and move the bumpers back after chroming.

Get rid of the side graphics.

The peep mirrors are a gray area, you need them for visiblity, but they are so small they are almost useless (I have them on my 27 and they suck)

Lose the spotlights.

Chrome the grille.

Put some decent hubcaps on it.

Under all that garbage might be something left to start with.

Don

23. Model T1

Model T1

Funny about that. Look at my avatar. Saw that 41 Ford at Daytona Turkey run one year for sale. Told my wife and kid that had the ugliest interior and paint job I'd seen in years. Two weeks later was at another car show and the owner begged me to trade him my Mary Kay pink 49 Ford Kustom. Yea pink! Our yeller 41 grew on us and we've been driving it for many years. Of course, I also owned an orange Vette.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot I don't like on that car, asthetically...the grill, painted bumpers, the rounded hood corners on steroids, etc. But for $7,500 I could see maybe doing something with it...if you really like it. But speaking of that hood...if that inconsistant gap is any indication of the quality of the body work...I'd be careful.

You asked. No disrespect intended. Good luck.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i would buy it , shave the rear door handles & drive it like i stole it !

26. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Sounds like a pretty good price to me!!!

27. adam401

adam401

Nice find.
    Since you asked about the body mods I have to say I do not care for the hood and grill. The easier stuff is to rectify that are off to me are the painted bumpers, the visor (and Im not anti visor but something about that one..) and the wheel/tire combo.

If its priced right and a solid car then its a nice score. Mercs are rad. 2 door conversion perhaps?????

Also the continental kit has to go

28. 343w

343w

It's your money and you can make whatever changes you see fit, I say go for it man!

29. Since you asked what we think....
    There's an old saying..."Free elephant shit,is still elephan shit!" I don't like it at all. At $7500,plus the money you would have to spend to get rid of all the poor taste modifications,it wouldn't be worth what you have in it. Now,i'm not saying it can't be saved. It just depends on how much you want to spend. For that money,I would rather find a stocker that someone hasn't fucked up. Even if it didn't run. It sucks trying to "un-clusterfuck" someone elses idea of a Custom.
    My opinion,of course.

30. HEY! Then everybody would think it's a 2dr!!! Great thinking....