Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bars Leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnod, Jul 8, 2012.

1. johnod

johnod

I accidently put bars leak in my rad, it doesn't leak, or need this stuff.

I haven't run the car.

If i drain it and flush it with the garden hose, do you think i can get that stuff out? Looks like some kind of pellet when you put it in.

Would the anti freeze still be usable?

Hope someone can answer this as i need to find out quickly.

Thanks

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you "accidently" put Bars Leak in your radiator?

Pull the bottom and top radiator hoses off and reverse flush the radiator, lots of water. Most of the pellets should be pushed out the top. Drain your antifreeze first, if should be reusable.

If you want to absolutely be sure it's all out, you'll have to pull the radiator, turn it upside down, and flush it.

3. henry29

henry29

I don't know how anyone could accidentally put a can of bars in a radiator, but the pellets in it are pretty big there not gonna come out the bottom if you drain it

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure of the harm involved. It's meant to go in a radiator. Maybe it'll prevent a leak. Just guessing.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

I use a funnel and paint filter to filter the radiator coolant, when its less than a year old. I drain the coolant into this large 2'x2-1/2' tupperware container, then, pour the used coolant into the funnel w/filter back into the original gal containers. Saving the original containers makes it easy to store the coolant while you work on the car.

6. RayMiller

RayMiller

Second that how does this happen that's like I accidentally paid a hooker for sex lol. Best bet would be to pull the radiator and flush it with it upside down

7. johnod

johnod

I knew that was coming, wrong bars leak product was the problem, thought it was something else.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've been a Bar's leak user (when needed) for a lot of years. I even sealed up a cracked pair of heads till I had time to pull them off the truck I pulled my race car trailer to the track 2-3 times a week.
    When I finally got time to pull those heads, 7 cylinders had cracks in head combution chamber.
    I don't know what other product, for what purpose, you had intended to use, but the Bar's Leak itself won't harm your cooling system.
    Anyway, the only way to get those pellets out is to pulll the radiator and then maybe you can invert, and reverse flush most of them out.

9. R Pope

R Pope

It isn't going to hurt anything, don't worry about it.

10. johnod

johnod

11. servi53

servi53

what the pope said all it will do is help if you develop a leak, won't hurt anything call it preventative maintenance

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I bet he was thinking it was water pump lubricant/anti rust. The cans are right next to each other at Autozone and you have to read the labels carefully to make sure you get the right one.

Either turn the radiator upside down and flush it that way or maybe try a shop vac stuck down the fill and in the top hose neck. Not sure you will get them all out, but a few in there will not be a problem. And yes, it is ok with antifreeze.

With the luck you are having stay away from the KY Jelly and Super Glue ! :eek::D

Don

13. I doubt it will do any harm.
    Just leave it there.

14. Are you running a heater core? If so, do yourself a favor, and get that crap out of there. Against popular opinion it seems, I am not a fan...

15. U-235

U-235

Hey, that stuff really works....while driving around in the winter in Spokane my heater started to blow cold air and the temp (motor) went way up. Popped the hood and saw a stream of water/anti-freeze coming out my radiator like a little boy peeing. Went to the auto parts store, bought (2) gallons of anti-freeze and "Bars Leak" and poured it in while it was still running. I watched the stream slowly stop until it quit leaking and then drove 150 miles home. Never did do anything else to the radiator.

16. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

most new cars have a dry tablet of bars leak installed on the assembly line..
    kind of an insurance policy of sorts, against the little weeps and seeps that new engines sometimes have.
    Do not loose any sleep over it..run it , you will be fine.

17. Just your opinion or have evidence to back up your reason against it?
    I've used it to good value a number of times.

18. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

it stopped the leak in my radiator, but 3 days later blew my heater core out. This car is my daily driver.

19. On a number of specific brand OT cars known for headgasket and cooling problems that I've spent a few years working on, I've cut apart about a dozen heater cores to find them filled with numerous copper powder deposits. This is following complaints that the heat has stopped working. Removing the heater core outlet hose with the car running revealed not much flow. An inspection of their insides showed why. I have seen many other heater cores literally split open on the sides after not being able to handle the 12 psi of the coolant system.

Guess what every one of the cars had in common....:rolleyes: at some point they had developed a leak that the owner had "fixed" with Bars leak or other similar products.:eek::rolleyes::)

Now, you'll never hear me say that Bars leak doesn't work. I've seen it work myself, but, it is a band-aid. The problem may have been further compounded by that particular vehicles heater core design, and electolysis.

If you have a $500 ride that you need to get to work with, and can't afford to correctly fix something, then by all means, I'd even recommend Bars leak, but, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Whenever possible, I avoid adding any magic fixes to any of my engines fluids, as I've seen them create a more expensive problem than they have solved. Makes sense to me anyways.:)

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

THIS^^ Is good advice.

21. .....Is this really true? Not that I doubt you Dave, but can anyone else substantiate this?

22. I've seen it clog up heater cores before rendering then non-op. The old one is easily 2X the weight of a new unit.

I don't know how the stuff is today, but it used to come in a can or bottle and had the consistency of baked beans when you poured it in.

Bob

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It works well for it's intended purpose. It saved me from having to remove a heater core in my 63 Corvette. It does not have a negative affect on the cooling system or it would not be around for 50 plus years. My first jar was made of glass. When was the last time that you bought an automotive chemical in a glass jar? The problem is the pellets. They have to get up to operating temp to melt before you can get them out. They were always a PITA to get in.

24. johnod

johnod

^^^^Ya I remember the glass jar from back in the 70s, the labelling was cleare then too,lol
    Problem solved anyway, removed rad turned it over and flushed it out, good to go, and now some breakfast.