Register now to get rid of these ads!

switching from + ground to - knowlage needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. chopo

chopo

is there anything i need to do other than switch the battery terminals on my pos ground 6 v system. like coil feeds etc..... seeing a red wire bolted to the frame just looks wrong to me, thanks for all the advice.

2. what car? and what gauges are electric?

3. chopo

chopo

no gauges to worry about 39 stude

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Reverse wires on the coil ,repolarize the generator possibly need to replace the voltage regulator ,reverse connections on amp meter. You have a electric fuel gauge ? More to it than just swapping battery connections. If red offends you buy a braided style ground strap.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Starter solenoid may need replacing.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The only reason that I can think of to change the polarity on a stock 6V car is if you are changing it to 12 Volts.

If your wiring is in good shape and your connections are clean, why do you want to change polarity? It has worked fine for all these years. Changing polarity is not an upgrade. To me it's a waste of time for a stock 6V system. If you really want an upgrade then and only then would I consider a 12V neg ground system. There is no advantage to reversing the polarity on a stock 6V system.

7. chopo

chopo

right Tommy old wires are way bad. if i gotta do a rewire why not just go to - ground

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why? What is the advantage of switching? Replace the wires as needed but changing a 6V pos ground to 6V neg ground is a waste of time for no reason except it's not what you are used to seeing. A pos ground system has worked reasonably well for 60 years and will continue to work well if maintained well. JMO

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

different radio, or some extra work needed isolate the original radio mounting

10. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

Don't forget the starter, it would turn backwards!

11. Ramblur

Ramblur

Don't believe theres much thats polarity sensitive. As others have noted reverse leads on coil,amp gauge,and reflash the generator and you should be good.

Oh,'some' radios back in the 30's are polarity sensitive ,but you'll know right away if their talking backwards...;)

12. No and no

13. chopo

chopo

tommy has the wisdom. Im going to follow his lead.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Wow thank you.

At least this way the manuals and any mechanics that work on it in the future will understand what is going on.