Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official NAILHEAD Powered Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sweeeeeeeeet!

2. joee

joee

mild kustom 63 riv

Attached Files:

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I don't have any great pics of our 425 Nailhead right now because the heads are currently out getting the run-through. So these will have to do:

425 nailhead, 40 over going in a '30 A coupe. It was saved from the scrapper. I will share pictures when it's painted and fully dressed :)

nailhead1.JPG

nailhead2.JPG

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Whatever you do, DO NOT let them try and put hardened seats in those heads. The odds are they will ruin the heads, and they don't need them.

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thanks for the heads-up. the guy who built it before us actually did the ruining :). The guy who is doing the work actually has done 5 nailheads so far this month so we trust him. Someone already had the heads ass-backwards so hopefully it'll run much better now. Will double check with him on the hardened seats.

6. 58sled

58sled

Thanks. I'm still beating on it. She's going through a total rewire right now. I'm out of town but will throw some more recent pictures up when I get back. Just moved into a new neighbor hood and haven't introduced them to the NAILHEAD THUNDER yet

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  7. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

So what's this intake?! Where did this come from?

[​IMG]

Haven't seen cast 2x2 nailhead intake before this...

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Both Golden and Edmunds made 2x2's for the 264/322, that one looks like an Edmunds.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just to make this thread even more legit then it already is I should let you know Dalton from Roadhouse was a 401/425 fan with his Rivi.
    [​IMG]

10. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

I got answer in six minutes! :D Much faster than studying it with Google!
    Thanks again zman!

11. titus

titus

Heres and edmunds

Attached Files:

12. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Yes, I took, and it was installed back to '57 couple months ago. Here's what it looks now:
    [​IMG]

It is '57 364 cid nailhead with Offenhauser 3x2 intake (cast in 2002) ,good ol' Rochesters carbs rebuilt by me. They're set up progressively using Eelco linkage. Fuel is being fed with mechanical fuel pump and distributed through Offy fuel block. Fuel pressure gauge is unknown brand. There's vintage Mallory Rev-Pol flat-top distributor... well, ok it is originally Mallory Double-Life that originally started it's life as a sb Chevy unit, we converted it to work on a nailhead. Thanks to JouniK and his brother Jake for work on a lathe! Now it is disguised as Rev-Pol with polished brass parts. Valve covers were designed by me and cast in Finland Also valley pan is designed by me, cast in Finland. Polished all aluminum and brass myself, including intake and distributor... Colour is mixed between two colours with bigger metal flakes.

Read more here: http://used-dirt.blogspot.fi/2012_06_01_archive.html

13. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have a 322 with a 5 speed in my 51 meteor coupe. Will try to get a couple of pics posted.

14. 55nailhead

55nailhead

right now I have a Nailhead powered shopping cart

[​IMG]

15. speters

speters

almost ready to go in for the last time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. robertsregal

robertsregal

Speters, thats pretty awesome! so what is that nailhead going in?

17. speters

speters

54 chevy truck

18. 29tudor

29tudor

So I'm starting to build some crazy headers for the 29. Got some one piece flanges, and some swedged 1 5/8 inch stubs ( so I can run motorcycle baffles). Had to open up the exahaust ports on the flanges to fit bigger pipe and cut em in half and smoothed em out a little. Now on to clearancing the fire wall for the mag and finishing the zoomies....

Attached Files:

19. under conscrution, 28 flat bed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  20. looking good...i gotta check that out one of these nights

21. 29tudor

29tudor

Thanks man, stop by always cold beer in the fridge. Just put a couch in my garage too!

22. Cool, i'm finally home now, gotta fix the cooling issue with my tub, and i'm ready for anything

23. Hello guys,
    I have an intake question? Has anyone ran a 3x2 setup in a 63-65 Rivi and what is your setup? I know there are clearance issues.
    And, Anyone running 3x2's, Hows the performance?

Thanks guys

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3x2 is less performance than the stock 4 barrel. Really Nailheads love lots of carb, if you're going to do 3x2 at least get 2GC's. And really the stock 2x4 is really the deal with the Rivi's

25. jonb421

jonb421

Great Thread would love to see some vintage pics of nail heads in hot rods

26. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Actually that is not entirely true.
    Golden Engineering made the first aftermarket intake for the Nailheads. It was a 2x4, not a 2x2. Max Balchowski ran one on his 32 Roadster which he raced roadcourse.
    Fenton was the other manufacturer (distributer) of the 234-322 2x2 intake.
    They had purchased the patterns formerly used for the Edmunds castings. The intake is identical except where the Edmunds logo was typically hand scribed, the Fenton name was cast onto the intake.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Golden sold their intake with adapters on it as a 2x2.
    Edmunds made a 2x2.
    so what's not true?

I don't have pics of a Fenton, nor did I say those were the only manufacturers. I'm actually pretty sure there were others besides those.

Attached Files:

28. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Not looking to mince words. If you consider the Golden a 2x2 intake thats ok with me. Personally I would consider it a 2x4 intake with adapters. Just wording I guess.
    Dont know if anyone else made a 2x2 intake, short of a U-fab type set up. Most guys were going with 3x2 or 2x4 by time the Nailheads were becoming popular.
    Have you any pics of the original ads for the Golden Eng. unit with the 2x2 setup? I have only found a couple ads (actually one is a tech pic) of the Golden Eng intake. Both pics look like same unit as the carbs, air cleaners, linkage etc were identical.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I don't have the literature, I thought I had scans of it, and it was listed as a 2x2as well as the 2x4. I thought at one point they had been posted to the Yahoo group, but I can't find anything over there right now.

But looking at Carb Otto's pics I'm thinking it may not be an Edmunds, or Fenton since you say they were the same molds with the other name.

Found a much better pic of the Edmunds.

A polished Edmunds from another thread here on the HAMB.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  30. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Ottos intake looks like Edmunds or Fenton with name removed. Then sand blast it etc...
    The Edmunds/Fenton have the thin Plenum as seen at the rear of Ottos intake. As an Edmunds they are not common but not really rare. Edmunds also offered it as a 2x4 intake. Looks the same except larger casting for the carb bases.
    I have not seen a Fenton version of the 2x4 though.
    If I get a chance tomorrow I will take pics of them all and try to get the pics shrunk down to post. I still fight that every time.