Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. biscaynes

biscaynes

thks maz, they were indeed great times.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

============
    Maybe if there's a "Jalopy Journal, Volume 3", we'll see....

3. 296ardun

296ardun

They were, and we all knew it, so we were sort of surprised by Mickey's comment, but then again he was being Mickey (a genius but hard on people, even those he knew)...and the atmosphere was tense...Fat Jack Bynum got into a shouting match with Jack Carter, and Eddie Potter got into a shouting match with almost all the top fuel guys because he argued that you didn't need all that money to run fuel cars...

Gary Cagle stuck up for the little guys, like us, because we paid the same price for nitro as the Top Fuel Guys did, but some of the top Fuel guys gave him flack for it (Dave Zeuchel cracked that "little guys suck"). Gary was right, though, the Top Fuel Guys needed us to support them, and in the end, when Jack Ewell took over the resulting organization, we little guys were included in it, thanks to Gary...

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Some one,( I can't tell who) has gotten out on the Carroll Brothers AA/FD at the May 1967 Tulsa meet. This is about the time Richard Tharp was driving for Bones and Curt. [​IMG]
    Bob Gibson thinks the other car is Boyd and Griffith from OK City.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dorman and Koopman's AA/SR from Michigan leads another AA/SR during class eliminations at the 66 Nationals. [​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

No idea who these guys are, but I loved to see the wheels up on these gassers at Indy in 1965. [​IMG]

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Time trials action from the 66 Nationals with a striking looking Plymouth getting out on a Vette.[​IMG]

Plymouth ID'd as John Hagen from Minnesota by Gary Reynolds. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  8. partsrivet

partsrivet

AA fuelers leave the line at Tulsa in September, 1966. [​IMG]

9. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I've been doing my best to pass the torch - both my kids love In-N-Out and we spend many weekends bracket racing my '66 Coronet. One day at the track my daughter said to me - " Daddy, I wish we could live here" boy that brought a smile to my face! I have to say I'm very fortunate because I have been able to race at Pomona, Riverside and Bakersfield.

10. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Ahhhhhh that In-N-Out smell - get's me every time I drive by one. I told my wife if anybody ever invents a time machine the first place I'm going is Irwindale in the 60's.

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Born too late may have saved your life.
    The good times drag racing and living vicariously, (like I was here told recently), is clouding old timers memory banks of registering for the draft.

This must be stated and those men never forgotten, and especially to this present day generation.

I'm the first to get lost in these old photo's and here on the HAMB, my postings prove it. A lot of memory pops back up reading here, but I still get chills if I look at my class photo and look back at the guys who did not return. That big granite wall in DC don't mean anything compared to the memory of each individual name on it.
    And a holiday like the 4'th doesn't help.

We are older and having moments of recall, but someday you will do it also about things and events we will never see or understand either.

Tom S. in Tn.

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I've looked as close as I can. The Willys couldn't be Pitmans could it?
    Tom S.

13. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Damn! Those photos by partsrivet of Indy and Tulsa are just great!
    Having been to both places during this time period, Man talk about stirring the old memory bank!
    This thread has to be voted the greatest of all time.
    Thanks to ol' Royal Shifter who started it all with what else a shot of a Willys!

1940 Willys Coupe

14. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

that time machine does exist here.

15. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Very well said.
    Mike

16. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KTJF8b1b5U4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some footage I took a couple years ago at the Samoa drag strip during the nostalgia drags.

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure if it's K.S. or Dave Hales.

18. That Plymouth looks like John Hagen to me.

19. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Wow - finally I'm half way thru this thread!

20. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Not in motion but I'll risk it...this Henry J was at this years March meet. Max Wedge Auto - set waaaaay back. Always loved Henry J's Can anybody identify the rear wheels?

Attached Files:

21. partsrivet

partsrivet

Don Gay backs his Pontiac to the starting line for another run during the match bash at Green Valley Raceway in March of 1966. [​IMG]

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

Tom Jobe tells me this is the last run the Surfers made as a team. We're at Indy in 1966 and Bob Skinner is making some final adjustments before Mike Sorokin drops the hammer[​IMG]

23. partsrivet

partsrivet

All good things.... This to me is a sad picture, once you realize the history of it. At the time it seemed like Mike Sorokin was just making another pass but in retrospect, it's a metaphor for all the changes to come-not all of them good. Can you imagine the top fuelers of today showing up with a 55 Chevy pushcar???[​IMG]

24. partsrivet

partsrivet

The High and Mighty hemi-powered AA/SR tangles with an Anglia during timetrials at the 1966 Nationals. [​IMG]

25. partsrivet

partsrivet

Joe Teuton from Houma, LA gets ready to make a pass at the Div IV points race in La Place, LA in May of 1967. This is one of the hard running cars sponsored by Shreve Automotive in New Orleans, which also included Albert Waits AA/FD and Dennis Oncale's C/MP 57 Chevy.[​IMG]

26. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Look to be Dragmaster rear wheels. 5 Lug, 6 holes.

27. partsrivet

partsrivet

Tulsa's Wayne Burt appears to be trailing another AA/FD at Tulsa the week after the Nationals in 1966.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  28. partsrivet

partsrivet

Don Garlits Dart II lines up against Roland Leongs Hawaiian at the 1966 Nationals. The light has just turned green and Mike Snively has just popped the clutch as the tires begin to spin leaving the line.[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. spacebull1

spacebull1
    from Belgrade

Amazing photo...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

30. partsrivet

partsrivet

[​IMG] Ted Detar from Wichita KS takes on Joe Davis from CA at Tulsa in September 1966

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012