Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slammed 31 A coupe....FINISHED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 27, 2012.

1. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I am amazed. You definitely have skills. I was blown away by all the piecuts, and the nice curved shapes you made. That took dedication. I also like how the bags are hidden. That way they don't take away from the vintage feel. Your work on the grille shell is amazing. At first I thought you were just making a shroud or something for the fan, and then I saw the grille take shape. I was in awe. I would have been working on that for a month and then had to throw it away (lol). Great work. Keep it up.

2. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys:cool: You are helping keeping me motivated, cheers!!

3. cool build ! how are the bags mounted to the front spring?

4. excelllent work, nice welds:)

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got the decklid back into tip top shape for the most part, threw a coat of primer on it and installed the inner trunk panel, I'll finish bodywork on it when I do the rest of the body. I'm sure glad I spent the time fixing that old rotten skin, I'm way happier with this one versus the aftermarket one.

Its sitting low because I haven't drilled and mounted the hinges yet;)
    [​IMG]

[QUOTEt=Johnny Hotrod - BC;7933614]cool build ! how are the bags mounted to the front spring?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the front bags are not on a spring but instead they are mounted to 2 spring arms.

[​IMG]

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got the chassis ready for tear down and am waiting for some help pulling the body on Monday so I can do the final welding and paint on the chassis:cool:

In the meantime I decided to ditch the black on the 354 and go all out orange, too bad I ran out of paint, damnit.....I'll have to finish it tomorrow, I think it looks way better, what do you guys think?? The tunnel ram and 3 deuce adapter is staying raw aluminum. Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it's question time, I know you guys aren't shy and I need some input, will it be to much orange if I paint the body in Hotrodz flatz burnt orange?? I want to do a satin black belt line on the car to help break up the orange, with these fresh powder coated original 35 ford black wires and the chassis is also going to be black, I'm just not sure if its too much orange if i go that route?? I was hoping a photoshop guru could "make" it happen but no-one jumped on it when I posted in that thread, maybe a newbie thing??

Here's a pic of that paint and the black 35's waiting to get mounted. Don't be shy to state your two bits:cool:

[​IMG]

I'll be using the same wide whites as in my avatar on these:
    [​IMG]

On another note, I had scored this 49 Monarch trunk lid handle at a swap last year, I thought it would be cool on the decklid, I was thinking of using either a brake light or back up light inside it, what do you think, is it too bulky looking for the decklid?? I was thinking of "trimming" it up a bit.

[​IMG]

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/HooligansHotRods/photo3-7.jpg[/IMG
    [IMG]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/HooligansHotRods/photo2-9.jpg

[​IMG]

Mocked up the fuel tank, this car is like cramming a marshmallow in a piggie bank, I have no other place to put this tank, thank god I'm only 5'9, I think once all the inside sheetmetal is done you won't even notice it in there:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer their "two bits"

Cheers

7. rusty A

rusty A

sweet build I saw that sedan of yours up here running around a few weeks back.

8. Yes, diggin the monarch handle, Are you going to use some sort of small or l.e.d. light in the old key hole?

9. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks. Glad to hear the sedan is out and driving, I still miss that car!

Thanks, not sure yet on the key hole, probably just fill it, I would like to install a backup light or something underneath the upper piece and the handle maybe.

10. billys54

billys54

very nice work

11. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Personally I don't like that much orange on the engine, plus if the body will be orange too I think it'll be too much. Maybe just the muscle car part of me but I really like the look of the black wrinkle finish valve covers on the hemi's. Would it suit this car, I don't know.

I know you are pretty much decided on the orange body but let me throw this out there. Keep the orange wheels and engine, paint the body gloss black and the frame semi gloss or flat black.

Then again, maybe not. I can't visualize this stuff.

There might not be too much orange on the engine once you hang all the accessories and plug wires off it.

12. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

13. msalamanca

msalamanca

Looks sweet man.
    All the pics are much appreciated.

14. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Not very fond of Black and Orange on the body. Reminds me of a Harley! Orange on the Hemi is okay, but is that period correct? Not sure, if you are going for a period correct Hot Rod....

Build is making some serious progress! Looks Great IMO.

15. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Diggin that 49 Monarch trunk handle. I would use it as a 3rd brake light. Can't be too safe on the roads nowadays! Great score.

16. A tub

A tub

1st up dont have too much orange itl lk as if youve sprayed the whole lot in one hit, why not paint that motor an off white/cream perhaps or some other colour that will make that hell of an engine look like it stands out and meshes with your paint colour if this makes sense ,just my 2 cents, i know a guy that painted his car all one colour and it doesnt look good, his car looks like he didnt put in any effort and we all know how much effort you are going to. like the handle in a huge way, and man that grill is fuckin artwork, u could make these things and make some cash to put into all your projects
    cant praise you enuf ur fab and metal skills are perfect mate
    A-tub

17. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Would the fuel tank fit between the back side of the rear axle and the panel below the deck lid? I personally wouldn't be too comfortable with the fuel cell inside the main cab.

18. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

First off, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted their two bits with regards to the orange and body. I have been thinking along the same lines, I've got some other ideas for colors etc to play with, that's the nice thing with being at this stage, nothing is final. I'm changing my mind on things more often than not, but usually those changes work out for the better. Gotta solidify some chassis color and engine color soon though.

Thanks. I like the cream color you suggested....hmmmm

As it is, in the back of the decklid is where my air system/battery is housed so it's basically full backthere.

The fuel cell wouldn't actually be exposed inside the car, after all the sheet metal is done, it would be boxed in and vented to the outside, if that makes any sense.

19. hotrods247

hotrods247

great work...... i like a metalic charcoal for the motor two tone the valve cover leave the main part of valve cover orange and the raised part where the plgs are charcoal nice contrast and it doesent look like orange thru up.... and i really like orange but it is your ride you gotta live with it just my 2 cents you can also tie the metalic charcoal color in on interior

20. pugh433

pugh433
    from toledo

Your metal work looks killer. I personally feel satin paint would do your car an injustice. I think a lot of people hide bad body work with satin paint and it's sort of a fad like the pastel paint of the 90's. I mean no disrespect by that at all, just my opinion. I was thinking about what body color would work with that orange and saw this picture posted on a good guys thread. I don't think it looks too bad, maybe a root beer tone? Just an idea. Keep up the great work!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks guys.

Been pounding at the build the last few days to be ready to tear the body off and start dis-assembly on the coupe. Spent last night finishing the steering and master cylinder so today was the day to pull the body!!

I have waited just over a year to see this car outside so I was pretty darn excited to roll it out on the driveway.

Aired out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just had to try the air out, this will make a nice ride height.

[​IMG]

The body came off real easy with just 3 of us to lift, the chassis sure sits nice and low and I am very happy with the look of it, now I can finish the last few fill in pieces when I pull the motor tonight or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to have it fully welded and starting the painting on the chassis/rear end etc by next week sometime.......hopefully:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  22. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

23. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

24. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

25. snot275

snot275

Wow man, looks awesome. A lot of good work and time put into her!

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

bitchin. keep at it dude

28. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

This came from the Goodguys Des Moines thread. Give you an idea of a glossy orange.

Attached Files:

29. A tub

A tub

one word comes to mind when i see your ride and that is **STEALTH** cant wait to see it painted up, your chassis is nuts , absolutely like that big time, lks great with your shaft above it, keep going mate

30. Orn

Orn

Very nice work. Keep it up!