Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's a favorite. On the far side is Jim Hayter in his E/S 270 horse 57 from Cushing OK, while the red car belonged to Jimmy Waibel of Lakeland, FL. This was a points race at Opelousas, LA in April of 1967 and both these guys made the long trek from home to try and collect some points. Div 4 didn't have a ton of Jr Stockers, so it was always a treat to see something like this.

Since some of these views have some crossover appeal on other threads, you may see some of my stuff posted elsewhere. Trust this won't be a problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. biscaynes

biscaynes

great pictures partsrivet!! keep on posting! :cool:

3. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I remember him, Seems he was from the Cartersville, Ga. area. Had a friend there myself, Gene Evans, who ran the '69 Olds Cutlass G/S "El Malo Negro" 325 hp 350....Gene Introduced me to Forrest in about 1970-71 at Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway at one of the "Atlanta $10,000 events held there....Nice guy and a good driver. Love those wagons, it's all I ever saw him race.

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Caught this view of the Boston and McClelland working on their D/SA at the Tulsa World Finals. The slide isn't dated, but this appears to be 1967. [​IMG]
    Corrected date as 1967. Thanks biscaynes!

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

This not so hot view from the 65 Nationals is one of the first slides I ever shot. I was 17 and had a LOT to learn. Nonetheless, what caught my attention was the 58(?) Plymouth over on the tower side. I seem to remember reading long ago that these creatures could be purchased with a 361 motor with 2-4's as optional equiment. Suppose this is one of those cars? Have some more views of Jr stockers for this race-no prize winners but I'll try and mix them in with better views so no one gets too bummed out. [​IMG]

6. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

That 55 looks like Willard Wright's "White Trash" 195hp powerglide car, at Pomona. Willard was partnered with Gary Glover, although maybe not at this time but definitely later on, possibly woth this car. I remember talking to Willard in the staging lanes, I believe at Irwindale, next to this car. Willard was very entertaining, always talking. We called him "Ratchet Jaw".

7. biscaynes

biscaynes

'67 biscayne
    your shot is probably '67 or '68 partsrivet. this is likely an earlier pict at national trail, still has the window sticker here. nice to see it in color! thks!

[​IMG]

WerbyFord likes this.
  8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Good to know.Has to be 67 as I didn't make it in 68. This slide like many I have wasn't dated on the mount, so I just guessed. I'll change the date on the post. Thanks! I appreciate you guys helping me get this right for all of us.

9. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

How about General Kinetics Cams.Popular w/junior and pro stock.I have one in my'39 chevy

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's a view I snapped while walking around the pits at the Finals in Tulsa in 1966. Don't know who the D/SA poncho from Wichita KS was. Next was John Dianna from NJ in with his cool 56 wagon, complete with Div I stripes. Believe he went on to race a sedan delivery. Then an unknown Mopar and after that Parham, Payne and McDaniels blown 57 Ford from Tulsa. [​IMG]

11. partsrivet

partsrivet

More action from Indy in 65. That Galaxie looks awfully strong for a Jr stocker so I'm guessing it could be a B or C/FX car. The guy in the 56 wagon definitely looks like a Jr stock car. I enlarged the scan in photoshop but these 65 slides are so far gone I couldn't make out the names or classes on these guys. [​IMG]

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

It was a rare meet in Div IV when 2 good running cars in the same class showed up. E/Stock was the best bet for that, but I remember these G/S guys here at Tulsa also. Don't remember who they were but they must have been local to Tulsa (local in the southwest being anything within 300 miles). This meet was the week after the Nationals in 1966. [​IMG]

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

more awesum picts partsrivet!
    dianna wrecked the wagon at muncie dragway? prior to the '67 nats. was stripped of useable parts, left for dead and buried there.

[​IMG]

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

In the early 60s in high school I used to buy Duntov cams for $20 and Corvette valve covers for $20 a pair and sell them to guys at school for $50. I knew the parts mgr and got them for cost plus 10%. if you wanted to put the cam in a 55 265 you had to grind a flat spot on the rear can journal so they would oil the top of the motor. That was an extra cost option

15. partsrivet

partsrivet

Man, you don't see too many wrecked Jr cars. Any idea what happened?

Muncie was like Oklahoma City on the west-they'd try and catch guys going to the Nationals to fill out their own fields, while the travelers often hoped to pick up some extra money for the trip. Mike Schmitt did this several times when making the trip from CA to IN.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

supposed to have got crossed up after hitting a wet spot on the track? rolled a few times.

17. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

@partsrivet. John Dianna was from Van Nuys Ca. and ran out of Div. 7.

18. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

It is Willard. Was partnered with Willard before this car, Two different cars.

19. partsrivet

partsrivet

20. partsrivet

partsrivet

The Golden Commando's Goldfish Barracuda takes on a 57 Chev wagon at the 65 Nationals. This looks like a class elimination run. Think the 'cuda was a G/SA car. When time permits, I'll put this through a heavy photoshop session and see if I can glean some more info from this badly faded view.

BTW, do any of you remember entry listings coming with the programs for the 66 or 67 Nationals? I've got one for 68 but don't remember if the earlier ones came with them or not. Sure would help ID'ing these views. I'd buy a Xeros if anyone has such a creature. Thanks. Chuck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  21. partsrivet

partsrivet

In 1966, Don Grotheer from Edmond, OK ran this street hemi in A/S. Here he is at Tulsa in September of 66. Don't remember where he finished in the points standings that year. [​IMG]

22. jkane

jkane

Both John Dianna and John Burkholder lived in Delaware before moving to California in the 60's. Both ran Junior Stock on the East and West Coast. And Gary Glover is one of the funiest guys I know!!

23. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

That article was wrong. The first time Johnny ran that car it had my short block in it.

24. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

At the NHRA reunion, 6 or 7 years ago, a fellow , from Anna, Il showed up with the John Barkley/Marv Ripes, '57 Chevy, for sale. The car sat in the memory lanr section amd in the middle of the afternoon, 2 fellows drove out in the car, It never showed up again, does anyone know how bought it or what happened to it?

25. Joe Pisciotta

Joe Pisciotta
    from Ojai

I drove the 1958 in both of these photos. Is there a way I can get these pic cause I don't have any pictures of my car. Hope someone can help

Joe Pisciotta

26. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

I have a couple a pics of my dad and I. The first one is of me and dads 1964 original "R" Galaxie. He bought it from the original owner in 1965. Ricart Ford in Columbus Ohio sponsored the car and it was the current "B/S" Record Holder.
    This pic is in 1969. I was 4 Hahahah.
    The second one is from 1965,66 at a local drag strip "Riverside" in Ohio.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  27. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

The car we raced from 1978 to 1995 was this 1967 Fairlane. It's not an original R car but was built to be a legal stocker. We ran it in A/Stick. This car was built by John Cseh out of Dearborn Michigan. I still have this car and race it locally. It has not competed since 1995 and is not current with the A cars of today. The best I have ever ran in it is a 10:40 at 133.27. It is still competitive but definitely not going to set the "A" record like this.
    This was taken in 1986 when we won the Eliminator at Warner Robins Georgia.

Attached Files:

28. FoMoCo427

FoMoCo427

This is the 64 just prior to dad buying it. The fellow driving was "DON". I never knew who he was. Does anyone recognize this car and driver?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    WerbyFord likes this.
  29. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Do you have any current photo's of the car?

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

We ran the Woods & & Dee 67 fairlane 4 door wagon in 1970 in E/S with a 427/410 in it until I put it on the roof on 7 inch tires. I have a picture of it at the Gator Natls & another after I roofed it, but dont have a clue how you post them. If you look closely at a picture of Chris Whitneys wagon you'll see the side chrome on his is air brushed on from a picture I sent him per his request

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012