Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs boat seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46chevy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

trying to fix up my daily drivers interior and cost of new seats is extreme. yesterday while i was at our local Academy store i was looking at boat seats. so i thought what the heck and picked up 2 hi back white seats. just 69.95 each. i'll build some mounts to install. has anyone else tried this or am i just nuts? by the way my daily driver is a non compliant 69 ranchero until i can build a new car. thanks

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sounds like a rat rod build to me... boat seats are for boats! You can get bucket seats at my local yard for $35 a pair.

3. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

I'd be concerned the back may collapse if rear ended.

5. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

do it. it's your car.. don't go to the monkey exibit at the zoo and ask for
    opinions, your just going to get shit flung at you.

now duck boy.. bob and weave! and go get it done! i want to see pics of em in there!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree with Chadillac, there are better alternatives for less money. I'd be afraid that there is a wood framework under the upholstery on the boat seat.

7. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

you know.. you might be right.

course my A has wood frame work too.. should i throw it out!? does that make it a
    rat?

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

If you were in a wreck with a boat seat that has a plywood base it'd release pretty quick... Boat seats are named correctly... Boat.... Seats.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you ever want to build a "drip dry," topless roadster, consider boat seats, ATV seats, even seats made for lawn mowers or construction equipment. Most are very durable, UV resistant, generally water proof, and some even have drains built in so the seat isn't full of water when you get back in. Build the rest of the interior the same way, and put the electrics up high an dry, and you could almost wash your car out with a garden hose and not have any problems. Like a 4-wheeled motorcycle. Gary

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I tried boat seats. I was like you. In my head they'd work great. Perfect size for a T Bucket. So, I ordered them from Ebay. When they came, I mounted them to a plywood base and installed them. No matter how HARD I tried, I couldn't make my ass and back realize how cool they were.

The upside was that I used the folding side hinges to make my own seat. As Chaddilac said, boat seats are for boats. They're great, if you're sitting in a boat, downing a few brews, but rolling down the road, you'd be mad as hell.

Notice how they LOOK "kinda" cool? Your ass will hate you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. That is too funny and so true!!!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Were you fishing for compliments here ? (Sorry, I'll go away now ! :eek:):D

I kept a boat seat around to use when mocking up a car. It beats sitting on a milk crate.

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

You know what they say about opinions = are like a____holes. I have a pontoon boat seat in my 26-T & I don't care at 6'1" & 220 pounds after 100 miles in that thing you need a beer or 2 no matter what kind of seat you have. But I've never tryed one of those 600.00 dollar seats

14. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

well now i whent from mississippi to tucson arizona in my 46 international with steel
    bomber seats..

i did walk a lil funny after that for a few days.. but i didn't complain.

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

them are some fat cats.

16. did you try rustang seats? they are cheap and plentiful at swop meets near here.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to look in some of those little four door rice boxes at junk yard the next time you go. Some of them out of the 70's and early 80's had pretty small seats with removable head rests.

Some guy has some presentable "Cobra" and RR seats on Ebay the RR ones being done in a black diamond pattern for 225 each but I know nothing about the seller.

18. HamD

HamD

Comfy seats are something I value but I can see the budget appeal. Run 'em and if they hurt, save up for better.

19. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

I am planning to use a boat seat in my 23 t bucket build. I am going to pick up the seat hinge and build my own since I am looking for a bench seat. To make it a little more comfortable I am going to put webbing in. with the webbing and foam it shouldn't be to bad.

20. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Boat seats would be way cooler than generic bucket seats from the junk yard. Nothing look more lame than that shit.

WC145 likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Man those are FAT cats :D

I agree though boat seats are best for boats.

22. Boat seats were made for boats,,and rat rods! HRP