Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wal-Mart has STP with ZDDP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 6, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Cheaper than anything else I've found. Good old STP is back. I need some sticker!!!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's $1.99 everywhere in Houston. How much is your Walmart? My dad swore by that stuff. STP....... the RACERS edge!

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Good to hear, I'll be looking for it up here.

4. rat nasty

rat nasty

we used it as assembly lube for ever...now we use lucas oil stabilizer or comp cams assembly lube they aint cheap but that seems to work fine for us heck we might try the good ol' stp next time! i use valvoline vr1 20-50 racing oil and it has all the additives! not the same ol' valva-sludge! hehehe!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

I always keep a spare bottle for the next oil change.

6. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Lucas oil stabilizer added with every oil change. Sticky stuff. My engine builder swears by it!

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Been seeing a lot of oil and supplements with zddp at common places like wal marx and oreily's lately. Found some zinc additives by hyperlube and risoline at Oreily's and the red STP at both. Wal mart also had some Valvoline oil that was supposed to be a zinc oil for older cars the other day. Also some generic "Super tech" offroad/tractor oil that says it has zinc also. (used some of that in my O/T beater work truck. A lot of companies are seeing marketability in this stuff...finally. Now all we need are some cheap whitewall tires at these places and were set. I probably take it a little far, I have all my stuff, dailys, mower, tractor, hot rod all doped up on zinc oil, they all seem to appreciate it.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I used to use a 50/50 mix of STP and 50 wt oil as an assembly lube years ago. If you ever noticed, there is always gray residue in the corners of the block when you tear it down after using STP. Is that the zinc ?

Don

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Noticed that with Lucas, ash or something maybe?

10. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i just broke in my cam and i put abottle of stp with zddp in it. picked it up at my walmart in cincy!

11. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Walmart also has Accel motor oil, 10-30 & 10-40, that has zinc, rated SF. The can says for use only in cars older than 1988. $2.57/qt.

12. Good to know !!!!! I'll look for it !!!

13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

The STP bottle says for cars with 75000 miles on them. Also still use it for an engine assembly lube. A friend of mine who was in the motor pool in the Army in the 60's said that an STP rep told him that this stuff is so good you could drink it. No, no, & no, don't try it.

14. oj

oj

In case you guys haven't read, the latest oils -type 'SN' i believe - has an agent that prevents the additives from bonding to the metal making them worthless! All that zddp stuff comes right back out with your next oil change!
    If you want the zinc in the oil then get oil with zinc in it. Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs Racing are very good oils and have the right goo in it.

15. There are many different levels of concentrations out there. Make sure you are not wasting your money with some of the cheaper brands. I read a comparison in one of the major hot rodding mags about 2 years ago. They were all over the map. The highest concentrates need to be drained after break-in.

16. I also vote for Lucas. Been using in my daily for 10 years as well as the 54, my old Touring and the Rocky 33.

I am just tickled that I now am a dealer for Lucas, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs and Royal Purple!!!!!!!!!!!

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't you just love America.......................where there is a need someone will fill it.:cool::)

Frank

18. no55mad

no55mad

www.zddplus.com Still my choice. Great info on this site and an Alliance Vendor here.

19. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

STP really is great stuff, had a 65 mustang many years ago with a rear end howl that woundn't quit,emptied the EP90 and filled it with 100% STP and the noise quit for the few more years that I owned it.Who knows maybe its still going!

20. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

STP works great as an assembly lube, but I would never add it to the oil unless the engine was wore out, and only then by heating it until thin and slowly mixing it in the crankcase of a running engine. I tore down to many low mileage cars back in the 70's with that stuff hanging like syrup in the bottom end. Most times the oil pickup screen had slowly plugged until it finally starved the main bearings.

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Whats your thought on that Zmax crap?

22. OneBad56

OneBad56

Lucas Oil too...they have a Hot Rod Motor Oil with 2100ppm zinc in it.