Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wild Willie's arm for sale.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Jul 6, 2012.

1. hope i never need one, but if i did i would buy a new one.

2. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

WOW! Really....I need To drink moore!11!!!
    People sell this shi.....stuff!
    I need to drink more.........

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I knew he drove the altered with one hand, but never knew he carried it over as a joke to the other cars. :D Very funny.

Don

4. pinupwithgun

pinupwithgun

I need an ARM and a leg!

5. Jen......

Jen......

never knew this

6. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I wonder what Mousie thinks about this?

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I bid on it just to be part of history!

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Me too! I was outbid at $200. :(

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If it was Willie's Balls I would have bid higher!

10. slammed

slammed

I just pushed it North of $400.00

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Push it North of a Arm & a Leg and get me off the hook!

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Should he give it away?

13. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

If anything, it should be donated to a drag racing museum.
    Keep his memory dignified.
    [​IMG]

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Yeah, what about dignity?!? Listen to the guy whose avatar is a cartoon cat cupping his balls and smoking a doobie. Lol (Just playing, Rocky. I agree with what you're saying to a point. :D)

Open question... Purely hypothetical. So somebody hands YOU the arm of "Wild Willie"... What would YOU do with it? As a fan, hot rodder, collector, or a guy trying to feed his family, what would you individually do with it? The guy that places the highest bid for it obviously wants it the most, for whatever reason. With what this piece of history will probably end up selling for, I'm sure he'll appreciate it and know best what to do with it. Perhaps he will donate it to a museum. Or maybe he'll use it as a Halloween decoration. Who knows! But I can't fault the seller for trying to make some $$$ off of it if he himself doesn't appreciate it for what it is.

Would it be any more (or less) dignified if it was sold at an auction house? Or an estate sale?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. Morbid and funny at the same time

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yeah,...whatever.
    Some things just strike me as being wrong.

17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dignity has nothing to do with this. A museum would charge admission to see the peice. I have no problem with a private collector buying it, it's been lost to the years for years, at least this way it will be in circulation as it were.

Heck If I had the expendable cash I would buy the thing just as a cool racing curiosity....

18. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Maybe. But let's say it was being sold as part of his estate at some fancy auction house. Say some guy bids, oh, I dunno, $20 large. Is that any less wrong? I guess I'm just wondering if the big offense is that it's being sold on eBay and not in some big, classy, wine and cheese auction for millionaires.

I'd also be careful if I was the seller, since there might be an issue as to whether or not it is even his to sell. Like you said, it's a piece of history. If Wild Willie has any surviving family (son, Robert) they might be able to claim it as part of his estate, since it can be proven that it was his personal property, regardless of where he "left" it. That could potentially bar the sale of the arm and get it to a museum where it belongs.

EDIT; Was there any "trademarking" of the arm? It might even say something about it being a "trademark of Wild Willie" or "trademark left arm reproduced with permission" somewhere on the Revell model kit box. If it is trademarked property, well, could open a whole different can of worms... I have a call out to a buddy of mine on the west coast. He has THOUSANDS of unbuilt model kits in his collection. I've asked him if he has this particular model, and if he could send me a copy of the licensing credits from the side of the box. I'm very curious at this point.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  19. slammed

slammed

Yep. Some RICH cat (pun) should throw down some cash, then donate (tax write off) it to a museum.

20. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I wonder...

21. my bet is a museum, or a representative of, will or is bidding on it.

22. My bet is that its just a scam......seriously doubt that they took his arm before cremation

23. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

It was just a prop, genius. It wasn't really a prosthetic arm. No more a part of him than the steering wheel of his car was.

When he drove his altered, he would lock his left hand firmly in the door pull and drive it one-handed. It was just his trademark driving style.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It's a FAKE! It's a carryover from his Fuel altered days when he would drive one handed. It's NOT his real arm. LOL. Ragtop beat me to it.

25. paintcan54

paintcan54

Just spit coffee all over my key board. That my friend was good!!!!!!!!!

26. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Here's a GREAT link with a few funny stories about Wild Willie. I'm sure there are PLENTY out there, but this one will give anyone who has never heard of him a pretty good feel for who he was and what he was all about.

http://home.comcast.net/~originalhiwayman/

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I found it I'd have it on eBay too! The seller sure likes to type, but that is a good thing, the more info on a piece of racing memoribila the better. I hope it sells well, if the winner desides to put in a museum, or on a shelf fine, I never knew the thing existed until 15 minutes ago. Bob

28. belair

belair

You would need a dump truck for those.