Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Tinman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

I have a 64 394 motor would like to stick it in my 54 88 (has 324 in it) will 394 bolt up to the hydro? (oh yeah and work) Thanks Tinman

2. I think not...they used different styles of hydramatics...I dont think they interchange.

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I DON'T THINK SO EITHER . Let the OLDS people say for sure , i think not though. I think the '56 was the last year.
    B.B.

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

It can be done, need to have a pilot bushing installed and the crank and flywheel balanced, the block is a bit longer so front mount will need modifying.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

And one bolt hole will need to be slotted to fit the crank flange pattern.

7. F&J

F&J

Does anyone know if all of the 394 cranks have a bored hole for a bushing, or would that only be on the very few stick motors that were made?

8. wastedchilhood

wastedchilhood

49-64 blocks are the same front and rear.Any Olds Hydro will bolt up.Standard shift cranks will work as is. 56-64 Jet a way cranks need a pilot bushing. 57-64 the Hydro flywheel has to be balanced. 57-64 motors are externally balanced

9. F&J

F&J

I know that the sticks shared the same pilot bushing as the Hydramatic, ..but what I was wondering about, is if the Jetaway cranks are bored out for any type of bushing?.. or are they not drilled at all?

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

They have a large diameter shallow recess and would need to be drilled to accept the pilot bushing

11. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

This is a picture of the 394 (from 1962 as best as I can tell) and what I believe to be a slant pan hydro (original to the car?) that I recently pulled from my '54 Holiday 2 door hardtop.

Edit-
    And I just found a photo of it sitting in the frame too.

Attached Files:

12. F&J

F&J

I'd be splitting it apart to see how it was done. It does look like Hydramatic to me; and there should be an aluminum tag with ID info on the trans under the back?

Then look it up on squirrels "hydramatic ID chart" thread, to know what the trans came in for year and make.

13. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

try this site for info: www.transmissionadapters.com
    I've done a bit of research on the manual transmission 61-64 full size Olds and Olds engines trying to figure out a better combo for my car. This is what i found:
    61-62 394's interchange pretty much the same ,they share the same water pump housing /fuel pumps:
    63-64 394's have a different water pump ,pulleys and fuel pump
    They did make 3 speed manual in probably 4% of all full size cars, parts are non existent in used or rebuilt form but there are some out there
    Manual 61-64 cars were also manual brakes only due to the clutch pedal linkage floating off the master cyl brackets. Cranks and rear mounts were different to, along with manual only radiator, carbs, driveshafts and steering columns.
    Luckily , the Slim Jim in my car still works but what a POS! It vibrates in 1 and 2 and falls on it face in 3rd. If I was to keep my original engine, a 350 Turbo would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. But I'm still staring at the 500 Cad engine and trans on the floor...

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Speak to Tony @ Ross racing engines (goatroper on here) What he don't know about Olds is not worth knowing.

15. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I plan on splitting it, but the motor is seized up currently so it's going to be a little while before I tear into it (I have a complete, running 324 w/slant pan from another '54 to run for now).

I know I have a photo of the tag somewhere, but can't find it right now.

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As others have said, the blocks are the same.. Back in the day, a lot of the willis drag coupes and others used 394 blocks and used the 4 speed hydro trans behind them

17. F&J

F&J

I am aware of those, and that apparently was the only transmission that could handle the Olds.

But how did they mate the two? Either converted the motor to internal balance I would assume?, or counterweight the torus, which is very unlikely?

And maybe they could buy new GM 394 cranks with the standard shift pilot that is needed? or did they even have custom cranks that early?

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Should bolt up just fine. As was pointed out, the crank needs a pilot bearing, and needs to be balanced to the flywheel. I bolted a R54 slant pan hydro to a 60 371 many years ago and used the 53 flywheel, which bolted right up to the 371 crank. The 371s of 59 and 60 are really debored 394s, so if my 371 worked for me, the 394 should work for you.

The flywheel is counterbalanced to the crankshaft. The torus assembly does not need to be balanced. I spent $10 to get the pilot bearing installed, and $25 to get the flywheel/crankshaft balanced.

19. F&J

F&J

Newbee here; So from the way you talk, you had your late 371 crank rebalanced? And if yes, how about the 394-type harmonic balancer with the balance "lump" cast into it?

I have never seen a 371 balancer, early or late, but I am thinking those must have the lump too?

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

IIRC I took the crank and flywheel to the balance shop and had the flywheel balanced to the crank, without the harmonic balancer. Never had vibration at all. The 60 371 balancer should be the same as the 394 as the cranks are the same, just the bore is different.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

59 394 crank is if i remember right slightly longer than a 60-64 and also uses a different oil pump.