Register now to get rid of these ads!

Washer bottle thieves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cutlassboy68, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

it is not just teenagers that is taking things off the cars a friends wife caught a woman about 50 taking my flamed beer huggy off my shifter at a show.

2. railroad

railroad

I guess if you disconnected the pump, you could fill it with something nice, like battery acid. There may even be some stains that are clear until they touch skin.

I'm like the rest, want to catch the sob, but glad I don't.

3. Model T1

Model T1

I'm sure if you used battery acid and the thief got hurt you'd be sued by some fancy lawyer

Remember those cry babies? Wonder if anyone steals those?

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You spend your money and your time to get cool stuff.
    Then you go to a public event to share your cool stuff.
    That, in itself, is a gift from you to the public.
    To share with them...your cool stuff and make total strangers smile.

The someone ruins it for everyone.

And that's just one more reason why I haven't entered a car into a show in 45 years,... at the 1967 "Western Nationals".

5. Model T1

Model T1

Damned, you've missed a lot of fun good times. We haven't been to a show in two years this past June. But it was because of other reasons.
    Another thing that slowed our car show entering down is that it costs more to enter, to drive, and people are getting bad about touching and messing with our cars. I decided it was stupid to pay to let others look at my cars and pay to drive there to do it.
    Now the added worry of thieves means we have to guard our cars while at a show. Maybe we need to watch more Willie Coyote movies about booby traps.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Naw, I never miss a good time. I go to plenty of shows, but it's really more fun to get some buddies and go somewhere. I've never been a folding chair car guy. The highway beckons...........:)

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

I never open my hood at cars shows. All it does is attract douche bags who hang over the fenders to comment on what was done wrong and how they would have done it. The 409 badges on the front fenders attract enough of attention.

8. We would epoxy razor blades to the back or our 8-tracks. Never lost one though.

Bob

9. i have one ... .. pm for pics .

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a severely raked/flamed '57 VW with the original Wolfschmidt badge on the hood, when I lived in Santa Cruz, early '70s.
    It was parked in front of my bud's bar, "Positively Front St.", and when I came out, some middle-age jerk was prying it off with a screwdriver!

I kicked him in the ass so hard with my Tony Lama #12 he went all the way up to the windshield. I gave him a couple more, one kicked him off the car, the last one stuffed him into the gutter, there's a 12" high curb on Front St.

The guy was screamin', my bud Barry came out, and told the thief he was calling the cops. Thief got up, all hunched over, and did a crippled-looking run up Third...
    I kept the screwdriver. It was a yellow-handled Indestro.

Caught 2 other idiots trying to steal my F100, too...I never treat 'em nice.

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

God Bless America! :D

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Model T1 pretty well nailed it. There is a different breed of cat running around at shows and swap meets then there was 30 years ago. In the 70's we had an element of trust amongst us that we will never see again.
    There may be that group of young souvenir hunters taking a valve cap, door lock knob or even a shift knob or gas cap but I'd bet that the majority of stolen items go straight on someone else's car or project or end up at the next swapmeet or on Ebay.

Right now there are at least triangle shaped glass windshield bottles on Ebay ranging from 10.50 on the second bid to a buy it now for 64.99 for one with a near perfect decal and a bracket. That alone may tempt someone to slip one in his pocket rather than open up his wallet over at the swap meet.

13. I am not sure that hands is what I would shoot for but Ok I guess.

A little piece of tape puts and end to it or at least slows it down.

I have a friend that has an OT car that one year was named one of the 10 most beautiful cars in America. For whatever reason he gas cap was a big deal to the thieves so he started putting a little piece of tape on it at shows.

14. ravedodger

ravedodger

Good stuff!!

15. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've been blessed so far. I like to hang a helmet on the rollbar hook just to complete the look. I figured a plastic tie around the hook and chin strap should slow things up enough to keep it and haven't lost one yet.

[​IMG]

16. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

The guys with the Mopar muscle cars have been having problems with people stealing the fender tags off their cars at shows. Two phillips head screws and it's gone.

Thing is.. The tag has the VIN number of the car and is worthless to the thief. For the owner of the car.... it's not something that can be replaced easily and fakes are easy to spot.

17. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

That seems like it would smack you in the head going around a corner...

While were on the topic of stupid people stealing stuff I had a guy behind my shop siphoning gas out of a car, that had been parked for around a year. Snuck up behind him and smacked him in the back,causing him to swollow a mouth full, than asked "taste good?". Should have let him keep going. Nasty dead gas anyway. haha

18. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

My daily driver is a 78 f100 flareside and people keep stealing my gas caps. Bought a locking gas cap and someone beat the hell outta my fender with a hammer to take it. Caught the bastards trying to break into my buddys truck down the street and called the cops. Then I went out with a shot gun to confront them and they were gone. Took the cops 45 minutes to show up! Im 20 and this really pisses me off cause it makes all people my age look like criminals.

19. What the hell is that hook it's hanging on? :confused:

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Cutlassboy68, I know you said you had a few extras, but it still sucks that someone helped themselves to something you had attached to your car. I've got one of those bottles like one that went missing on you, not a repro, but an original. I'm not using it for anything, so if you would like it I'll send it to you. PM me your mailing address and I'll get it out tomorrow. I know it doesn't make up for the shitty things we people do to each other, but at least it'll sting a little less to have one of 'em back. Its been sitting on a shelf out in my workshop for over a year now, and I think it should go to a nice home under someone's hood.

On a side-note, those bottles aren't worth a ton, maybe $25-40 at best. The Rotunda bottles (the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury equivalent), on the other hand, go for well over a hundred bucks because of the nature of the beast. When they discontinued Rotunda windshield washer additive in '68 (I believe) they didn't bother to tell anyone. So anyone who had been using it since its introduction as a "dealer option" in '62 had been tossing the bottle right in the trash can when it was empty, and then replacing it at the dealership. Suddenly, no one could find a replacement. I sold one myself for a little over $150 about 10 months ago.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I put locknuts on my Mopar's fender tag screws for that very reason.

The group of guys I hang with always watch out for each other. Somebody is always nearby, keeping an eye on the cars. The hobby is supposed to be fun, it's the shits to have to babysit a car because some petty thief is out to steal your joy...

22. 117harv

117harv

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

x2..........LOL

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Get those old signs, "You toucha my car I breaka you face!"

25. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Then they would steal the sign after stealing parts off your car!! :eek:

26. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I told you! We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune! We're taking turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major...

27. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

A small town in Kentucky where I once lived used to have a burnout contest as the finale to their annual car show. It was awesome and good fun, until some jackass decided to stab it and almost took out a half dozen spectators. No more burnouts...

Point is; there always has to be some dumbass who ruins a good time for everyone. Nothin I despise more than a thief.

28. Wow! This really sucks. What the hell is the matter with people?

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Getting back to the questions about the helmet hook.

[​IMG]

I sleeved a rubber finger over the steel helmet hook to soften the blow to the head if someone catches it getting out of the back. Plus it's good for laughs.

Not too many turns on the return road at the strip and I don't leave the helmet there on the street to get beat in the head or block the mirror.

Just wanted to clear things up.

30. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.