Register now to get rid of these ads!

Washer bottle thieves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cutlassboy68, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

So I no longer go to car shows like I used to, being a single dad makes it more difficult. Anyways ive been to 3 this year and the last 2 Ive had my washer bottles stolen. You know those triangle shaped bottles in late 50s and early 60s gm stuff?
    The 2 they were stolen at I had a sales booth setup also and couldnt see my car from there. I never had this problem until this year. Has someone decided these bottles are worth gold now? I know theyre hard to find, but i have extras.

Anyone else having this problem, and does anyone know a solution?

2. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

I don't have washers on my car, but I usually leave the hood closed anyway. Of course, mine is just a run-of-the-mill 350.

BTW...thieves should have their hands amputated...

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why stop at the hands.

Bottles, radiator caps, etc. They seem to feel some kind of entitlement.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

They're not hard to find. You can get them for $20 new from Ecklers and others. That sucks. Keep your hood down.

5. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

jokes on them.. i fill mine with meth!.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

It sucks. My buddy has a really neat vintage radiator cap ornament that he will not put on his car because he knows it'll get stolen outside of a hotel or at a show.

7. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Well the originals are still kinda hard to find but i didnt think they were worth much...

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

I can see putting a simple strap across the top... it's probably kids! teenagers will take anything they can get their hands on... not cause they want or need it, just because it can be taken!!

10. I never open my hood.

11. onedge

onedge

I second that! Sorry to hear about your trouble.

12. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Unbelievable ! I've had a few fire extinquishers taken from my roadster when it was parked. Wouldn't you LOVE to catch them in the act ? :cool:

Don

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I'd wire a micro switch to ground the horn that is tripped the instant the bottle is lifted. Just once i wanna catch somebody stealing something of mine....he's gonna pay for all the others that got away!

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Guys used to tape razor blades to the backside of their car stereos back in high school because people were yanking tthem out of dashes daily. Set the fool up and maybe someone will catch them in the act, then it's hand smashing time!

16. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I don't want to catch anybody in the act because I am afraid I would catch a huge court case before I regained my composure! It seems the law won't allow any form of "hillbilly" justice anymore.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I love this idea !! :D:D

Don

18. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

If the car shows had burnout contests the bad guys would be busy watching the smoke and forget about stealing washer bottles.. bwahahahahahah

19. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

Seems like not to long ago someone posted that there shift knob kept getting stolen at car shows. I don't want to be one of those guys that sits behind their car making sure no one touches it cause I would like to enjoy the show myself. This is pure SHIT I hate that you always hear about this stuff. Sorry this happened man

20. I march ( stumble) around my parade ground( front lawn) in my sunday's best( underwear) declaring(screaming) my patriotism( America!) all while flanting my walking stick( 12 gauge) .....no one seems to bother me or any of my cars. :rolleyes:

21. I'd use my car to haul a trailer full of swap stuff and park on my spot, before I'd show it in a show.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Will a Pepto Bismol bottle fit in it's place? They might not want one of those! And you could set aside the vintage parts for photo shoots or the big chevy shows. Gary

23. Sucks to have your stuff stolen;

but you didn't learn after the first one.

24. Or maybe it was the burnout contest that attracted the flies. [​IMG]

25. Model T1

Model T1

Sad to hear this but not surprising. We've been going to car shows since the dawn of time and never had a problem leaving hood, trunk, windows, and doors open. Often worried about our special Indian head nickle mounted door locks. Used to park at motels with rare radiator caps. That part I wouldn't do anymore if I had a car with an exposed radiator.

People have changed. From the things I've seen stolen it isn't little kids and it's not usually about the money. It's sort of a hunting challenge like looking for a rabbit, deer, or mushroom. Just wandering around taking them to brag and prove they can do it.
    Sadly if you do catch them and touch their clammy bodies you will go to jail ! Have a drivein tray full of mugs, phoney food, menu etc. Stopped using it years back.
    Looks like car shows and cruise nites are things of the past unless we sit in front of our cars with a gun. :eek:
    All of these suggestions to leave the hood shut or use a cheap bottle is crap. That's like closing rest areas because assholes tear them up and do drugs. What happened to catching the crooks and punishing them?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  26. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I use to have the same problem with my 61 chevy van which was my daily from high school untill about 2 years ago, not baby friendly. I used grenades, made stuff on the lathe, and hand made plaster stuff and always kept a spare under the seat. Found this bad ass glue and my bro still hasnt got the grenade off...

27. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's sad, but the majority of humanoids are O.K. I just got done adapting an old Halibrand spinner into a gas cap, very similar to the Moon ones. I had to do some real trick stuff to adapt the thing to the weird 16 thread screw-on cap on my 1924 gas tank. It took me a year & a day to find the spinner. After I got done, it dawned on me that it's easy pickin's. So, even though it does alter the flavor of the whole thing, I rigged up a 1/16th" garage door wire to thwart the opportunity thief. If someone has tools, they can still take it, however. I hated to do it, but I'd be sick if someone took it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 117harv

117harv

I tell my wife that all the time:cool:

29. millersgarage

millersgarage

I used to drive a off topic car with no hood. You wouldn't believe how many times I would have cigarettes in my aircleaner, or the plug wires pulled off, when I parked it in a parking lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.