Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see your Dad's Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qmdv, Jul 5, 2012.

1. My dad was born in 1918, his first dcar was a stock 1927 rdst pkup. His grandfgather was a Los Angelos City Councelman and got it cheap from the LA Water Company. Probably a bribe.
    Second car was a 32 Ford 3 window

[​IMG]
    I like the Road Rebels club plate on back. The club was some LA guys. Joe Hunt was in his club
    Second car was a 34 Ford raodster.
    [​IMG]

Here it is at Muroc Dry Lake 1938 ish
    [​IMG]

He helped run the Western Timing Association. They timed at Muroc and Rosmond dry lakes.

Tim

2. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

You don't want to see that, my dad grew up in the 70's and 80's. (He had a cocaine nightmare '69 camaro with hugger orange paint and cragars.)

3. I had a 67 Z 28 Camero. You must be young.

Tim

4. Hotweel

Hotweel

Ahhh!

Attached Files:

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

All my dads hot rods were short two wheels.

6. n847

n847

My dad wasn't born till the 50's but this was his dream car for a long time! Till he built it, then it was time to move on!

[​IMG]

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm 27...or 28. Something like that.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1956. He was 17.

Attached Files:

• dad.jpg
      dad.jpg
      File size:
      506.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Blackie

Blackie

My dad wouldn't know what a hot rod was if it ran him over...

Sent from a pay phone

10. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Love it!
    Cool to see 33/34's on the dry-lakes this early, thanks for this one!!!

[​IMG]

12. edweird

edweird

pops toys.

Attached Files:

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

No photos, but my dad had a Model T touring when he graduated from high school in 1929, and had a '32 three window coupe later on while he was in college. At the time they were just used cars.

14. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Around '56 or '57...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Here are a few we were not a picture taking family, but there were probably 75-100 easily, and he is still building them. He has A Model A coupe Hot Rod, 48 Ford pick up Street Rod, he is building a 39 ford coupe with a Hemi and he is a member on here.The Willys was his partners at the time.

Attached Files:

16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

His from 71 to 2001 mine for then on....see my avatar

17. mj40's

mj40's

Dad bought a new 40 Ford sedan in 1940. He was 21 years old then.

[​IMG]

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

this was a '34 3w that my dad was building right after he got out of high school in '61. he parted it out before it was finished so that he could buy an engagement ring for my mom.

[​IMG]

the '55 convertible was his high school driver

[​IMG]

he bought this '33 plymouth in the early '80s.

[​IMG]

my parents bought this '55 t-bird in '67, and had it a couple years before they found out they were pregnant with me. they sold it in '69 and bought it back in '95. i still have it today.

[​IMG]

my dad bought this '54 in 2000. came from california with about 35k miles on it. i have this today too. and have driven in many thousands of miles. including a road trip to bonneville and the HAMB drags in 2010, covering about 6,000 miles.

[​IMG]

19. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hhmm. Roadster...big engine...loud...runs the balls off of it... Must be a
    Hot Rod...:D

[​IMG]

20. Gromit

Gromit

Got pictures Somewhere.. Late 40's (47 ish) Model A 5 window coupe, then in 49 or so a Chevrolet Master Sedan. I think an Olds after that then in the 60's... a Ford prefect.... seriously....... Had a cool 60's Malibu and Mercury Montcalm later on (Parklane) but life doesn't always deal happy cards. After the Motcalm (amazing if slightly OT car) that was it.. I think he had a Colt or something as his last car. Hasn't had wheels in about 20 years afaik.

21. Gromit

Gromit

cool thread btw :)

22. My dad was not a car guy but this was the family car in the early 60's, 37 Chevy 4 dr sedan....

[​IMG]

He was a motorcycle guy in his younger days, this was his friends AJS. He had a 350 Matchless, red and black. He said it looked brand new, he sold it to get money for an engagement ring.

[​IMG]

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Dad was a well-provided-for only child:

[​IMG]

His first car was a '64 Sport Fury with a 426 and a 4-speed. He eventually upgraded the mill to full Super Stock specs and had the front sheet metal acid dipped.

24. Joatha

Joatha

Dad's first car (circa 1962-ish) was a 1955 Olds. Not sure exactly what model (and he's gone now so I can't ask). He also later had a 67 Cutlass that was the first car I worked on as a 5 year old.

Later when I was a kid, he had 2 different late 40's Ford pickups. I don't remember what year they were as I was only 7-10 years old when he had them. This was mid 70's or so.

His last "hot rod" (really it is a muscle car) before he passed was a 1968 Cougar XR7. My brother has it now (as he should). We also had a dune buggy in there as well - that was a fun car for the family.

25. Tommy R

Tommy R

My dad was born in '27. The only "hot rod" type thing my dad would ever do is buy the biggest motor available in any car he bought. But he didn't know much about cars. We lost dad in '94 and I don't know what his favorite car was. My mom, however, was quick to point out her favorite. All she knew was that it was a Studebaker. She finally located a pic of it for me. The picture is dated 1958 and I believe the car is a '55 Commander, but I don't know my Studebakers at all (any input would be appreciated!). That's my mom in the passenger seat and my older sister and cousin in the backseat. I was still 11 years away at the time this pic was taken.

We also had a '59 Buick 4 door and my older brother literally cried the day we sold it (also before my time). Evidently, we only had cool(ish) cars before I came along.

[​IMG]

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes yes yes!!!!! This is exactly how I hope my car turns out! Great looking pics!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Harms Way

Harms Way

My Dad was born in 1917,.. He bought this 36' Ford in 1940. This was never a Hot Rod, but the closest thing he ever had to a Hot Rod,... bumper guards, fog lights and the thing he liked the best,... the checkerboard pattern he painted on the hood louvers in a "Light cream yellow" color,... with wheels to match !

He left it with my Aunt & Uncle to use if my grandparents ever had to go anywhere, so the car wouldn't just sit there when he answered the call of duty in WWII ,... Dad's outfit had no communication with the rest of the world for a number of months and they were suffering heavy casualties. This was the reason given to him, why they sold his car before he returned home from the army after the war was over.....

Grandpa & Grandma were very upset with there decision to sell it,.. Grandpa would wash it and simonize it once a month until it was sold. Grandpa took a picture of it when he cleaned and polished it for the last time, so Dad would at least have something to remember it by.

[​IMG]

28. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad's "BUG" with my Mom 1929.

Attached Files:

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don