Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've got a piece of metal in my eye...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Used to work at a company that made modern day Duesenbergs. We did a lot of fiberglass work and one day while grinding, I got a sliver of it in my eye. When I looked in the mirror, I could see it sticking out like an arrow. My eyelid would get hung up on it. Went to the Dr. and he pulled it out. Not a pleasant experience. Get going if you haven't already.
    Tom

2. Amazing shit... most of the desk nurses will give it to you while you wait to see the doctor. Just go up when the pain is real bad, like flipping a no-pain switch for a few minutes.

Bob

3. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I always wear goggles when I'm working with metal , but the other day I was cutting metal with a pair of tin snips ( clipping off a corner) and a peice of metal about the size of a dime hit me in the eye !!! Lucky for me it hit flat and didn't cut my eye but it felt like someone hit me with a brick . Wear those goggles cause you just never know when something stupid will happen.

Rocky

4. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Edit 7/4...
    I had said avoid the ER if you can because I find many ER doctors do not know how to use a slitlamp properly.

I said Optometrist as first choice because sometimes you need a referal from one to see an Ophthalmologist, it can depend on the scope of your "emergency" and an optometrist will diagnose you properly and can give you something to relieve the pain.

I have OD's in my territory that think nothing of removing foreign bodies themselves...

5. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

I had to go to the eye doctor last year for something in my eye, I think it was a tiny piece of dust from mowing the grass. I put up with it for a couple days and couldn't stand it. Went to the doc, sat down in the chair and he lifted up the eyelid and touched it with a Q-tip...... he got a tiny piece out of it about 100th the size of a spec of pepper, I could barely even see it......I swear to god, it took him no more than 2 seconds. With no Eye coverage it cost me $265...... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! LOL

6. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

My shop teacher in 7th grade told me to always use safety glasses because you only go blind once. Having owned a machine shop most of my life, I can't tell you how many times I have seen a chip come shooting out and hit me dead in the center of my safety glasses. JC

7. I hate to admit it, but I'm a member of that drill in the eye club X 2

the first time i went to the eye surgon he asked me if I had been wearing safety glasses I said "no"

then I asked him " is that a dentist drill your using on my eye?'' he said "yea asshole,next time wear your glasses"
    I hate the sound of drill and having your head clamped in a vise...........

8. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

it is bloody awfull to get metal , glas or fiberglass in your eyes and by my expirience i always where a full face see through sheald , mostly i learnd this from geting hit by shit in the face wearing safetyglaces , you oly have two eyes protect them it is the most smart investment you will ever do .

9. Only two per customer !!

10. My glasses have saved my sight dozens of times. I never machine without them on, oddly enough I get most chips in my face from deburring parts with scrapers.

Bob

11. I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. I got a piece of metal in my eye and figured it would probably work itself out. By the next day it hurt like hell. I tried the rare earth magnet but it didn't do the trick (I'm a car guy, by God. I'm gonna fix it myself. Yeah, not this time). The next day was a Sunday so I went to the ER. They tried to drill it out of my eye , but were unsuccessful because it was embedded too deep and they said they didn't want to drill any deeper and sent me to an opthamologist the next day. He had it out in a few minutes. I had quite a bit of discomfort for a day and then by the next day it felt almost normal. It's amazing how fast your eye heals itself.

My advice? Don't mess around. Go get it taken care of because it's not going to get any better on it's own. You've got to get the metal out. The longer you wait, the worse it will be.

As a side note, when I went to the ER, they told me that they needed to get it out using the eye drill. I told them "For God's sake, can't you call that thing something else? Maybe call it the Fluffy Bunny! Yes, that's it! We're going to have that piece of metal out of your eye in a jiffy. We'll just use the Fluffy Bunny!" For some reason the words "Eye Drill" is enough to scare the shit out of me. It really wasn't that bad though and everything felt a hell of a lot better once the metal was out.

12. Beau

Beau

These are cheap. When grinding, I think it' better to have your full face protected. Glasses don't really do anything. Goggles are better. Either one with a shield is the best.

[​IMG]

13. Hey Aaron, you okay? I called last night and your Mom said John was taking care of it, so I went ahead and went to bed.
    Sorry your Pa didn't get the A done for the parade today...
    and guys, this guy wears glasses, never seen him without them, so I'm 99.9% sure he had SOME form of eye protection on...

14. The industrial medical supply trucks carry eye magnets. Everyone should have one. It is about the size of a pencil and has a pointed (blunt tip)magnet on one end and a monofilament loop on the other. It is an amazing relief to be looking in the mirror and direct this thing over the particle and watch it leap off of your eye!
    I personally would rather deal with it myself in a few minutes rather than wait hours to get a professional to do the same. A lot less damage!
    Get an eye magnet, keep it in your medicine cabinet.
    If you can't get it out, get your ass down to a pro!

~Alden

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

This thread makes my eyes water. I hope you got help, I know I had to awhile back. Your eyes are nothing to mess with.

16. odins701

odins701

i thought it was cool when they pulled a piece out of my eye, cause of the circles as the eye stretches when pulling. healed over night.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I went to the E.R. where they used a magnetic. It happened just driving along with the windows down. I went to the E.R. immediately and rust was already forming.

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Hopefully they can grind it out , Weirdest feeling wide awake and watching a grinder,,,,Been there done that,Thats why I have sunglasses....

19. kscarguy

kscarguy

Yes metal in the eye is bad (winner of the 7 time debris award), but I think flash burn hurts worse. When I was young, I took a job working on semi-trucks. The guy teaching me to weld aluminum told me to watch and when I asked for goggles, he said I didn't need them with this type of welding. So I watched him tig weld for 10 minutes...later that night while driving home I started seeing halos and then went 99% blind. I prayed for a cop to pull me over to help me. I finally got home by driving at 1 mph. I closed every window blind, covered them with blankets and lived like a hermit for several days. To make matters worse, when I called in to work, they blamed me!!! I quit very shorty after that. Oh, the idiot who was "teaching me", he wore automatic darkening glasses.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh yea, been there done that! whole new level of pain for the first few seconds! YEOW!

21. BadLuck

BadLuck

same here.. numbed me up and scraped my lens.. it was already rusting.. few weeks later i was wearing my safety glasses.. and a piece bounded off my cheek and into my eye! Luckily this one came out by washing my eyes out.. but damn! so now i wear the type that are more like goggles! you never know

22. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Where can you get eye magnets? In a pinch could I use a regular magnet? Sounds like it could be a huge life saver one day...

23. I learned the lesson from my Dad in '64. I wanted bigger wheels on my skateboard, that required the use of a bench grinder.
    He caught a metal sliver in the eye while grinding. Doctor removed it and gave him an eye patch. ARRRRGH.
    :( R.I.P. Dad.

24. kscarguy

kscarguy

Dropped a can of lacquer thinner and just as it hit the ground I looked right at it and the splash went straight into my eyes. screemed to my wife for the garden hose...PAIN PAIN PAIN.

25. Wicked50

Wicked50

I once got a piece in mine standing clear across the garage we had to use a finger magnet to get it out.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've gotten metal in my eye twice after using a shield and goggles. I got it when changing clothes. Now I use the small swim goggles and leave them on until I take off the clothes that are covered with the shavings.

27. reefer

reefer

I got a small piece of genuine Henry Ford `40 coupe rear crossmember in my eye...i thought I got it out but a few days later a rusty mark appeared on my eye and I ended up going to the A&e dept, they numbed my eye and picked it out....I could hear it clicking as they cut it out but could not feel a thing....had a great view of the procedure though.lol.

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Got metal in my L. eye back in 76'. Been legally blind in that eye ever since. Surgeries were no fun. Get your ass to the ER.

29. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

GET YOUR ASS TO THE ER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I've had in the almost forty years plus of working on cars and trucks, that don't hesitate to get medical treatment. The one time I let things go to long,the healing process took along time. I ended up at the optometrist office for numerious checks and a bandage contact. I don't wear contacts and that bandage contact saved me alot of pain. The doctor can still see the scares on my cornea from foriegn bodies when I go for my eye exam.
    I should let you know that my wife works at an optometrst office/clinic. That kind of helps. The eye is an amazing organ don't screw with your vision.

30. NAES

NAES

I work in an ER and see metal in the eye weekly. It'll rust really quick causing additional, unneeded problems. Go to the ER, get your lens scraped, use the antibiotic eye drops and follow up with the opthamologist referral that they provide you with. Don't fuck around with this because there are potential long term effects.

Also, for those thinking a magnet at home might be a good idea, remember that if it doesn't come out the same pathway as it went in, you'll be causing further damage. Just have a pro do it.

As shitty a situation as it is, avoidable screw ups like these keep me gainfully employed!