Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford AOD GURUS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyd, Jul 2, 2012.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My question is... If I use the factory T.V. cable set up that came with my 302 and AOD will I still need to worryabout the throttle pressure on the trans? The bottom part of the cable set up has the spring load on it. Will that keep the T.V. pressure to specs? I was hoping that if I make a bracket up top by the carb and keep that spring neutral at idle then I would be good to go. Any trans guys know for sure? Thanks.

2. cracker head

cracker head

Yes, you still have to make sure the pressure is correct.

3. Tommyd, I highly recommend that you buy the Lokar TV cable and the bracket that they sell as well.

It's easy to install and they send you a nifty little calibration tool to get that pressure correct. If you don't get it right, it can very easily destroy your AOD.

Just about everyone sells that Lokar cable. I got mine from Summit.

4. Here's a photo of mine installed.

Attached Files:

5. and....this one shows the lokar bracket that holds the TV cable and throttle cable.

Attached Files:

6. Kramer

Kramer

As rustyfords said, go with the Lokar setup. You also need an adapter bracket to get the geometry right if you aren't using the stock carb. Getting the pressure correct is very important, or you will damage the tran.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks guys. I was just trying to avoid the shiny stainless stuff on the engine. Figured if I used all the factory stuff except for the bracket up on top and fabbed that one that I might get lucky. Everyone says go with the Lokar so I'm going to order one today. Does the kit come with a bracket to mount it to the carb?

8. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

tci offers a constant pressure valvebody that ensures proper line pressure regardless of cable position . i havent used one but it looks like a great idea

9. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Contact Lentech Transmissions for no bullshit AOD service and parts, great tech advice, really good transmissions, converters and other stuff for any Ford OD trans.

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm pretty sure lokar sells their tv cable in black.

11. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Dont forget a good size external cooler if you are running a small radiator. I ran an AOD in a Jeep and the stock jeep radiator cooler wasnt enough. Cost me 1k. No Guru here, just hard knocks and I wanted to pass it on.

12. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

As stated above, use the Lokar kit. It does come in black, but so does rustoleum. Make for dang sure you set the TV pressure correctly.

Pat

13. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Also check the set screw time to time on the lokar bracket. Mine came loose a couple times causing me to extend the bracket to hit both carb studs to correct the problem. The problem being that the throttle would pull the whole bracket back changing the lentgh of the kick down in turn changing the shift point and pressure of the aod.

14. George

George

Still has to use the cable, but reduces the gnat's ass precision. Do an intro!

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Rustoleum? now THATS funny! Emory cloth will knock down that shine also.:p

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks for all the reply's. Got the Lokar stuff coming for Thursday and I'm going to hook up a pressure gauge tonight. A friend of mine did his the way that I was talking about and I guess his works fine. I asked him about it and he acted like he had never heard of all the pressure stuff. He must of just got lucky....so far. What freaked me out was when I had it running last night on jack stands, I was going through the gears and when I hit O.D. it pulled the engine down and killed it. So lets do it YOUR way!:D

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As an old Ford transmission mechanic, adjust the TV pressure to factory specs. Misadjusted TV pressure is the quickest way to kill an AOD transmission.

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Why does it kill the trans? Do the frictions slip or the band not apply? Exactly what happens to make it eat it self up? Just asking because everyone has the fix, just wondering about the "why". Thanks.