Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice /help steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

I have what looks like a universal steering wheel. I removed the screws and took the wheel off and there is a bracket. I have tried to remove this thing with no luck. Not sure if I can break anything or there is a trick or tool needed but can someone give me some pointers. I'll let you know when it's off. Here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

3. Blake84

Blake84

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

My old puller for this type adapter has three holes that line up with the hole in the adapter, and a center bolt to apply pressure.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

So glad to see recent happenings aren't hampering your work. Killer truck.
    And yes, a steering wheel puller will get that dude off. Check Auto Zone or Advanced Auto. They may have one you can rent/borrow.

6. Talking about threads ,the threads on the shaft look pretty dodgy .

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

X2. As far as a puller goes, I just use a balancer puller with long 5/16" bolts and washers. Turn the star upside down and leave the center nut on so you don't split the shaft.

8. misfit2

misfit2
    from Maryland

harbor freight has a puller that's cheap

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

If you don't have a puller then put the wheel back on and grap the outside of the wheel and pull while a buddy takes a center punch and hits the steering shaft. Good luck......

10. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks...ya current situation sucks!

GOT THE PULLER!

Much better....this wheel looks perfect!

if you didn't see my other post the last pic is the steering wheel 3 days ago!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kye

kye

nice new wheel!
    what's that blue light in front of it?

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Amen! The new wheel looks nice... [​IMG]

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Nice wheel. Mounted upside down?

14. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Nice work on the new wheel! Like everyone else, glad the situation with the suspension hasn't killed your enthusiasm. Cool truck!

15. Blake84

Blake84

It's the light for the alarm. I will eventually put a chrome plate with the blue light. I have to park my truck on the street and I heard they are pretty easy to steal so I wanted to be safe

16. What you need is a steering wheel puller, they are cheap at autozone, and bu the looks of it a new shaft, the threafds are all but gon on the one that you have.

By the way I would look close on the steering wheel for a manufacturer. it appears to be a grant wheel. Some of us collect aftermarket wheels.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Either that or the wheels are turned. But my guess is he mounted it upside down....

Great job on the restoration of the steering wheel!

18. Larry T

Larry T

Steering columns and wheels usually have alignment marks on both of them. They kinda get mangled when folks use the "I'll pull on the wheel while you whack on the column" method of steering wheel removal. I know if you leave the nut on there it helps, but......
    It looks like that column is a little rough, but there might be a the remains of a mark if you look at the picture with the adaptor on it.

Lining the marks up even helps on front end alignment (last adjustment) if everything is stock.

19. Blake84

Blake84

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The open space in the horn ring goes to the top so you can read the speedometer without looking around the horn ring.

That's on good looking steering wheel and a lot more comfortable than that wood hand eater you had on there. I had one of those on the 48 for a couple of years and they will chew your hands up on a long trip.

On an I beam rig I usually take my tools along and find a straight stretch or empty parking lot and drive in a straight line so the wheel is centered and then stop and pull it off and put it on straight. Straight on that wheel being with the center bar pointing straight down rather than straight up.

21. Blake84

Blake84

Makes total sense. Thank you for your help

22. squirrel

squirrel

it's 180 degrees out of time, just like the distributor when I get in hurry installing it.