Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Young and the HAMB'erd (Rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deto

deto

One of the more played out threads on the HAMB seems to be based on the topic "The way it was back in the day".

This is usually followed by a post about how disrespectful, ignorant, arrogant, rude, yada yada yada, the younger generation is.

I have yet to see one thread on here started by a younger guy about how he was treated poorly by an old timer.

Is it because it never happens? No. I get more arrogant and innacurate remarks from the "I've been doing this for 30 years" crowd than the younger guys.

Still, I have more respect for the older generations than can be expressed here. Which is where this post is intended to head.

To the old timers; When you see some kid at a car show who looks like a fucking Elvis impersonator, he isn't trying to attack you personally, or steal your AARP card. He doesnt know any better. He's probably a moron, and he is harmless.

In fact, if you asked him, he probably thinks you're the luckiest SOB alive because you were around in America's golden hot rod age.

If you're older and think that the "scenesters" bug you, imagine how the younger guys feel. I am willing to bet the younger guys hate the rock a silly crowd more than the salty sailors do because WE get lumped into that crowd. THOSE guys make US look collectively bad.

My point is this...

To the Old timers: Us young guys aren't all bad. Some of us really cherish this traditional thing. Go easy on the young crowd and give them some guidance.

To the Elvis Impersonators: Wheels should only be painted one color. Red.

2. ts,tsts,ts,tsts.ts

3. Square One

Square One

I would have to agree with Deto on this.

When I first got in to building/working on traditional styled cars I was the "elvis impersonator".

Now that I've spent the years doing the cars/shows/people. I understand it's not entirely how you look but more of what you bring and how you present yourself as a person.

I'm not going to say I know it all, because I don't and I will always respect the input of someone who has done it before or was there when it happened.

And yes I know my car is nothing like how it would've been done then either. Call it a rough interpretation.

4. Y&H soap opera?

Attached Files:

5. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

Being a young guy myself I've gotten my share of "one day you'll learn" and "you just don't get it" but I'll be damn if these guys weren't in the same shoes back when. Getting Told they will learn one day and that didn't get "it" but the good news is, with alot of studying and reading and just hands on , us young gu.s are staying to grab the torch.

side note: the Elvis impersonator driving the rusted out battilac with spikes on it about us to

6. deto

deto

good. The allusion to another great work wasn't wasted. I'm glad somebody got it.

7. I could do without the sissy bar.

Attached Files:

8. Super Taco!

Attached Files:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

“If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
    ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

10. deto

deto

I love where this is going...

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The knowlege and wisdom of age,
    Mixed with the energy and enthusiasm of youth,
    Seasoned with mutual respect,
    Makes a good recipe for mutual fulfillment.

Basically, I don't really care what people wear. Shoot...I'm 55, and if I can ever get my ass back in the saddle again, I just might get in the mood to grease my hair, and roll up my cuffs!...lol.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

"played out" - you nailed it in the first sentence. When you get old enough, you learn not to care about this kind shit anymore.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yes, and i agree with Deto, so much its the 1st time i post on a thread such as this. and yeah i dont give a shit, but wanted to say it anyway.

14. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i to hate the young and old. and babys.

16. To young to stop. To old to change!

17. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

................<a href="/359717523/photos/8995421#mssrc=SitesPhotos_PP_ViewPhoto">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Isn't it Babies?
    :pJust bustin' yer chops.

19. robber

robber

I'm too old to die young.:rolleyes: Times change; people don't... Is there a car involved in this thread somewhere?

20. Does a whaaaambulance count?

21. robber

robber

Kid be it does... I don't know, Baybe:rolleyes:

22. Jamoke

Jamoke

Grow up quick Kid this wont be the last time someone pushed you down the question is can you get back up, If you really wanted to prove your point try having the attitude of Who gives a flying fuck and quit crying . "There all ways picking on me Mommy" Stop it !

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

hay, don pont out my fults!

24. Can't we all just get along?:)

25. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

now that you've said that, i wouldn't go swimming if i were you.

26. I invited some young guys to a gathering of traditional cars and all got along well, but what amazed me was the young kids in thier airbagged Nissian pu, they did not know the grease culture existed in thier community!? Puzzled for a moment by this I explained that most of these guys worked and only got out for events and they were of the mind set that if they owned some of these cool rides they would drive them everywhere! And there it was, I used to be the same but life and all gets in the way, oh to be young again. In the end, I offeerd these guys some shop time to learn more about the culture. As we were leaving the show, one of the 19 year olds said " I'm selling my truck and getting something cool like these!"

27. gawd is is tough to be old, plus we is gonna die long before those younguns:mad:

28. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I personally think it's great that a lot of the younger guys are carrying the tradition instead of getting into rice rocket crap.

29. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

YEP!
    on a side note if we don't show the young guns our love,where the hell is 'our' culture going to be when we're gone? respect is earned (not 'cause your old) weather your old or young,some of the biggest pricks i have met are geezers,telling me thats not how we did back in the day,:mad: i met some little pricks too.
    I was lucky enough to meet up with some reformed 'greasers' that lead me in the right way with my first car build,who let the secret out that the 50's WAS NOT like the 'Happy days"shit you see at shows,this was back in the early 90's when all that pastel street rod shit was going on,i hate to think where i would be with out that guidance,

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Here's a bitchin' hot rod.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.