Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Mercury Monterey Mild Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pacificustoms, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Malarky

Malarky

I haven't been on the HAMB much lately so I missed your thread.

I must say I love what you are doing with that Merc! You helped inspire me to get out there and work on mine. I've been driving like this now for a few years, but have been dying to add some more custom touches to it.

Keep up the good work and uh...how about an update sometime soon huh?! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shane85

shane85

3. 1965Olds88

1965Olds88
    from Essex UK

sweet!

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

5. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Nothing new on the car yet. Things have been hectic at the shop lately, so I haven't had any spare time to work on it at all. I also acquired a '62 Econoline pickup, so now I'm torn between two projects... Next up on my list is to build a console and get the interior wrapped up and then tackle some of the rust on the outside of the body. Hopefully sooner then later, my wife likes to use my free time in the summer doing things though!

6. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Nice car! I like it a lot!

7. Malarky

Malarky

[​IMG]

8. robertsregal

robertsregal

9. eliguzman

eliguzman

10. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

wow that is a beauty!

11. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Robbie
    I think its time to get working on the merc.... Trophies and that awesome gas tank is done so no excuses. lol

12. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Very neat.. any more information on how you made the acrylic center cap to the steering wheel would be much appreciated.

13. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I just realized it's been a year and half since I updated this. Well, buying a house and having a child all in the same year can really put a dampener on your "spare" time...

herbert, I bought a chunk of solid round acrylic, I machined the face of it to have a slight convex. The original part had a slight concave which makes the Mercury head look smaller then it actually is, I machined it with a convex to make the Mercury head look larger then it really is. After machining that, I parted it off and polished it all to make it clear again. Sorry I don't have any photos along the way.

I have done a little bit to the car in the last year and half, not much though. I hope to get back to it in the next few months.

14. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392232318.506034.jpg
    A good friend of mine upholstered the seats as a "Happy having a baby gift, you need a family car!". They turned out great! The fabric is original NOS 1962 Mercury Comet material, I didn't like any of the Monterey Materials. We used that with a plain green vinyl. I got all new foam for the T Bird buckets which make it much nicer to sit in now.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392232481.419858.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392232514.837116.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392232534.787741.jpg

Next on my list is a center console to house a radio and the car is in serious need of some mechanical upgrades!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. skoh73

skoh73

NOS Merc fabric?!?! That is insanely beautiful!

16. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

NOS was probably the wrong wording, I guess it would be more like leftover originals!

There's two places I found that sell old original fabrics, I forgot which one this came from. The guy who does my upholstery had books with swatches from 1962 so I had the correct part number to order from. They didn't have much of it and I bought all they had. The look of it in person is far cooler then any new fabric you can buy!

17. looking good, cool ride

18. Domino

Domino

I love the fullsize 62s! Your car is looking sweet so far.