Register now to get rid of these ads!

about damn time (dads 60 f100) 7/8 kicked out and moving itself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Jun 26, 2012.

1. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well after years of looking and finding and then having to say no because of money issues (if you have rental properties youll understand) finally bit the bullet and bought a 60 f100 shortbed. Dad was kind of hazy at first but after a good ole "just buy the damn thing!" some cash, and trying to figure out why it was so heavy, it followed my neighbors fifth wheel car hauler home. and
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the new proud owner in the background. the truck is actually pretty solid, the body has some bondo on it but theres way to much for what is needed. so alot of it came off with the air sander and the body still looked straight.
    fast forward a weekend and alot of numb hands from a sander and wallah!
    [​IMG]
    dad came home from work and saw what me and my mom had done and the first thing he said "holy shit, thats my truck!. . . lets get it running" so of course we did. points, a condenser, spark plugs, battery,cables and oil and the 223 was chugging along. so now all we need is a radiator and a slave cylinder hose and its on the road.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Square One

Square One

Looks good!

I've always loved those trucks.

Keep it simple.

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

then like magic yesterday i rode over to my crack dealers house and saw an ad for a mostly clean un cut cab and doors for a 58 f100. which this one could use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (cab corner)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it also said trade. well this is where it gets good, a month ago we put a new fence in for a guy in chino hills, so we tore out all the bad chain link and were going to scrap it out. few days after that i saw the scrap guy going by with some old bikes in his truck and had to save them (schwinn and two huffy's) so i traded the old chainlink we got payed to remove for the three bikes. cleaned up the bikes and tried to sell them with no success. soooo, i see the "or trade" on the cab ad. fifteen minutes and afew negotiations later we traded the cab for the bikes. theres dents but no rust and theres no holes in the doors or dash and! theres good side glass.
    so i guess happy birthday dad! i got you a cab (on saturday were getting it and its his birthday)

4. johnboy13

johnboy13

very cool indeed. Wish I could find a deal like that for a cab and doors.

5. 58custom

58custom

Man, I like that color. It looks like a truck. A truck that has shown up to put in a full days work. I am partial to the next gen of Ford trucks and when I get one that is how I plan to do it. Low gloss, white bumpers. Please keep us updated.

6. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

not to much of an update, but after looking at the rear leaves and deciding "thats not supposed to be like that" we realized there was a small lift of sorts done to the rear to accomidate for the a)camper shell and b)trailer the truck had. the air shocks just kind of added to that.
    [​IMG]
    and as much as my dad just wants to drive it, i think the least i can do is put it back to stock. . .yeah just kidding.
    [​IMG]
    2 inch shackle relocaters and shock relocaters for when we flip the axle up on the springs. we already saw the stance on another truck and talked to the owner, he took out two springs in the front and flipped the rear, so hopefully between the time he leaves for bakersfield on saturday and the time he comes home on sunday the truck will be about a foot lower. which should happen if i could get an extra minute to go to the parts store and grab the right hardware and have them bend new u bolts

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

8. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

though it doesnt seem like much to some, the windows we had before were. . . .sub par to say it in a nice way. not anymore! got them changed out this afternoon
    [​IMG]
    now here is where the question comes in, this is on the passenger side of the engine but it has no where to go, it s white with a red line and is wrapped in the original loom, any ideas? the truck starts without it, and that whole side seems to be hooked up
    [​IMG]

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

So where does the other end of the cut wire end up ?
    Where does the red wire connect to?

10. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

red wire is to the coil, according to the diagram this wire doesnt exist, :confused:

11. Rob68

Rob68

I've had mine for almost a year and it looks worse now than when I bought it. Nice job.

12. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    home! the brakes locked up on the old chevy so it was an interesting drive, but here it is. theres alot more to come today, its my dads birthday and all we bought him was parts for the truck

13. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    got the rear down to almost bump stops and it looks much better, the front is half done but since its half past 11 im thinking i should call it a night. more pictures of what it looks like now tomorrow

14. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[x] fuel lines
    [x] fuel filters
    [x] air cleaner
    [x] points
    [x] condensor
    [x]fuel pump
    [x] plugs
    [x] oil
    [ ] starting the truck on its own
    :D
    going to wait till my dad gets home then ill let him do the honors. maybe the exhaust will be a bit quieter now that the truck is a foot lower to the ground.

15. jazzbum

jazzbum

16. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Red/white wire is temp sender on my 59 Fairlane i think, should be the same on your truck. Lookin good btw

17. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

thanks! someone added a temp gauge under the dash, so ill just use that sender and hook it up to the original gauge.

now for some big (ish) news, its alive and on its own! dad came home a little late and didnt want to work on it (aka go get gas) well my mom came home and had to go leave again, i asked if i could tag along and get some gas for the truck :rolleyes:
    so after the store trip we hit the gas station ready to do two gallons of damage! realized i forgot lids :( fuck it were here so i had two gallons of open gas on the floorboards riding home in my moms pos mustang with no suspension travel. . . it was good:D but we made it home. then the real fun began. the fuel pump wasnt working because there was only air in the line so the man powered fuel pump came through, and after chewing some gum and getting rid of the gas taste in my mouth there was fuel in the line and the pump started working. :) closer closer
    so on went an air cleaner and i went inside to get my dad "you want to start it?! :D" "no im tired :( "screw it then, mom come outside were starting the truck" course she came i sat in the truck and flooded it. . .waited, then chug chug chug. . .POP POP POP VROOOOOM!!!!! and it was alive! even breathing some fire from the starting fluid, then it settled down and sounded like a tractor, woke my dad up, and had the neighbor asking what we broke lol. the neighbor absolutely loves it, my grandma thought it was the best thing since the truck got painted brown. and it made my damn day. . ahh good day in the smoke filled hot af loud garage i call home.

18. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Haha ! Great story. Congrats on getting it started!

19. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well not much of an update (unless you want to see the parts list) did get some good news though, the brakes are brand spanking new! someone went through them before the truck sat, so we are going to replace the rubbers for safety, but the drums, pads, springs everything is in great condition. new wheel cylinders are coming tomorrow, couldve been today but i was busy, and have to order the master cylinder rebuild kits. so by the end of the week we should be *gasp* stopping.

Till then heres a picture i took while messing around with my new to me camera (35 mm is tricky)
    [​IMG]

20. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well we got kicked out of the garage, so that my moms mustang could go in (damn thing needs to have the engine and trans yanked and be scrapped), so we drove the truck out.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    not before we took it around the block!!! (its a dragster, running radiatorless so it was only a minute or two)
    [​IMG]
    okay so maybe we checked if the coolant system worked. . .it did lol.
    we were all covered in water and dirt but it ran like a champ! a lifter stucken dirty oiled champ.
    so the oil got changed along with afew other things
    [​IMG]
    which got the brakes working perfecto.
    so here it sits in all its glory, rusty dirty oily glory.
    [​IMG]

21. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

big smokey burn out in the donor cab
    [​IMG]
    have to keep the humor in supply just in case the beer runs low
    [​IMG]
    and again with the 35
    [​IMG]

22. truck looks awesome..saw the blue paint...that would look good on the wheels. :)

23. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    little something something showed up today, well actually a big something something! aluminum three core, should work more than perfect. going to be on the road by the weekend, then the Pomona swap meet Sunday so it may be looking better Monday to. now all we need is tires and a fuel pump (theres an old electric one, but i wouldnt trust it as far as i could throw it)

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good man!

25. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    yup, thats it moving on its own, (note the 65 short bed f100 waaaaaay off in the background)cooled by a :eek: radiator. now the carb is acting up, so i rebuilt it, come to find out all that was bad was the float (filled with gas and didnt float) but i guess thats extra security. new float will be in tomorrow, also got the original fuel pump because the electrical one, as i said was not working all the time. so at about 7 tomorrow when my dad gets home and it cools off, it should be running great. carb also has to be majorly adjusted but again, thats tomorrow, today it moves and starts under its own power.

26. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    another big thing happened today, words i didnt think i would ever hear from my dads mouth "if were going to lower it more, were going to have to do a c notch" i knew that he wanted to do a three in dropped in front but then he wanted to leave that awkward rake. kept telling him how it needs to sit level and it will look better, and apparently something clicked at the pamona swap meet that they do look good level and low. still on the lookout for big wide whites!

27. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

FINALLY! a god damned update. and its a goo- great! one
    responding to an ad on the ole craigslist for 223 ford parts, came to us all these parts for the whopping total of 25 bucks. (god was with us on this day apparently) so my dad made a small trek to Palmdale to pick them up
    [​IMG]
    all in all there is a
    -brand new fuel pump
    -working condition glass bowl fuel pump
    -OG toilet paper oil filter canister
    -clutch slave line
    -holley 1904 carb with working float
    -distributer assembly
    -main seals
    and many other parts that im probably forgetting, but it was a good day.
    so as my dad and sisters pulled into the drive way i ran to the truck like it was an early Christmas unloaded all the parts onto my workbench and cleared away to what i have come to accept as the holey grail of carbs, the rebuild in the past holley 1904, stole the float and put it on. truck still ran like it had just snorted a mountain with Tony Montana. then while looking at the back of the carb it dawned on me. . . the linkage. i undid it completely from the carb, adjusted the idler screw and wouldnt you guess. thing hasent ran so well in the whole time weve had it.

going back to day one. . or like week one more like it, my dad and mom both remeber when i pulled the carb off and said "theres home made linkage. . .it doesnt look right" and as luck would have it, it isnt. the connecting joints from the actual throttle linkage to the carbs linkage was home made and about 1/4 inch to tall, so even when the throttle was all the way down it wasnt all the way down, it was 1/4 inch higher than where it was supposed to be. once it was removed the throttle could sit where it was supposed to and the truck idled down and quit backfiring.
    [​IMG]

doesnt over heat, doesnt back fire, it just puts, perfectly. man it makes me so happy. there is still a vaccum leak from the intake, but a package is to be expected from Mac's that will fix that hopefully on wednesday. then ill post a video of it finally running like it is supposed to.

and to the guy who sold us the parts, Id like to say thank you with all of my sincerity.
    -andrew