Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-buckets.... HAMB friendly, or not??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsport, May 15, 2012.

1. Jimv

Jimv

^^^^If ya mount a corvair box on the top of the frame in front of the firewall it gives you alot more room! I made the mistake of mounting mine under the floor & its cramped & i'm only 5'10"
    JimV

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

For all you Tweetie Pie fans, that old model kit is due to be re-released. Gary

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

***up-right steering;This is one of those things that you must try,[get some one to let ya drive one],the fit needs to be too the driver,but your mostly not going to understand the up-right wheel if ya don't get in one that at lest comes close to fit.{ I've built 5 "T"s over the years for a few size drivers.]
    I've also driven a lot of rods of all types,and I'm amazed how many are not layed out well for driving,the trick with wheel being up-right or almost gets it off your legs or out of your tummy depening. It can also be done like a reg car,but seat needs to be more back=longer body/cockpit.
    The bigger probs in rods is over cut chops=windshield/top too low to see out well,ride too low to clear the road bumps,poor steering design[shows up the most on cowl steer that makes bump steer ,plus just plan make the cowl look bad,also too small a steering wheel[less then 13.5 is too small for control...]
    Headlights that don't light the road for crab from being too low mounted or being too old design to be bright enough. No front brakes and or no shocks ether. Ect. Inside of car having any open holes in floor or firewall.
    Poor design dose not look cool.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I too dislike vertical steering columns and I too have built 4 or 5 of these over the years. I just set the steering column up in a customers car the other day (Saturday), and I used the Corvair type box out on the frame rail. The column lays back as a standard column would. This particular car is being set up to sell, and the one thing I made the owner let me put on is a quick release steering wheel. Automatically, it fits everybody. The guy with a belly can get in the car, the guy like me at 6' 1" with space alien arms and legs fits too, 'cause I can get them in place and snap the wheel down. I spent allot of time moving the brake pedal and gas to have room for my worst case scenario legs before I made the final cuts. As Dana Barlow said above, these things work out great as long as you take the time to think about where you sit in them and how they fit you. That kinda automatically means your doing lot's of this yourself rather than just ordering kit "A", kit "B" and kit "C".

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So you posted 3 that are not HAMB friendly. :confused:

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They are not my cup of 'T' either, just examples of style.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some people just don't grasp the "HAMB friendly" concept. You can beat them with a stick but you can't make them smart.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That in no way fits the HAMB. The question was "HAMB friendly or not?"

Those are definitely not. So why post them? Maybe try and find some that fit.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that the started really building glass T bucket bodies not too long after Norm's T showed up on 77 Sunset Strip every week and young guys all over the country all the sudden wanted a T bucket of their own. I couldn't tell you who did what on that show but I could probably count the times that I saw that T bucket wheel out the drive and up the street on that show.

Norm's T, Tommy Ivo's T, the Monogram models "Big T" (the actual car) are all prime examples of traditional T buckets. No blowers or huge scoops, No modern style pipes or headers, no mag wheels or 18 inch wide rear tires.

10. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I have always liked this one.

[​IMG]

11. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

12. t-rod

t-rod

Just got mine going a couple weeks ago, it's barely stopped moving since.

Attached Files:

• 072.jpg
      072.jpg
      File size:
      257.3 KB
      Views:
    • 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      265.4 KB
      Views:
    • 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      291.7 KB
      Views:
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

My vote there about as traditional as it gets but there are alot if pictures in this post that the acerman angle is crazy bad on cars with the tierod in front.

14. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

See this is why I dont understand why people even question it.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, I pull that issue out and stare at the pics of the lightning bug version on a regular basis.

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

Nine pages, and no pics of Skipper's bucket... or did I miss it?? I'm bummed - it rules.

Also, SWIFTY's real deal Aussie bucket from 1961-2 is as HAMB-friendly as they come.

[​IMG]

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well said sir!

18. fishermantim

fishermantim
    from california

19. Here's some "Traditional T-Buckets" to keep this thread on track.;) There I fixed it and removed the A buckets! Sorry, I was in a rush to post, before the thread got further off track.:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not to quibble but #6 is actually an A bucket.:D And a somewhat famous one...

21. BLAKE

BLAKE

'Tweety Pie' was always one of my favorites... perfect, IMO.

[​IMG]

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I bought two copies, I've almost wore out the first one staring at the pictures

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not to pile on too much, but so is #2...

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Mine's not a T, it's a Willy's, but it is a bucket. Still working on changing some of the shortcuts I had to take to more traditional. Ignore the trailer, it's going drag racing.
    [​IMG]

25. AzHemiT

AzHemiT
    from Phoenix

Here is my GLASS T-Bucket!
    [​IMG]