Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Street Rodders are getting old...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Russ V.

Russ V.

I hope I never grow old....or grow up. Having too much fun!! RPU in pic has been part of my life since 1956.:D

Attached Files:

2. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

Just heard rumor that the Relix Riot is going to be taking over the date that the elvis run has always been in 2012.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmmm, hadn't heard that, but I'm out of the loop!

4. everyone pays their dues

5. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

So who still has their shows going on?

6. erlomd

erlomd

now that will never get old

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

We do. This year will be the 22nd show.
    http://socalcarculture.com/Images/090812StreetRodsForever.pdf
    I've been running it for years & frankly, I'm getting tired. Someone else in the club needs to step up & do the work. Biggest problem of older clubs- the members get older & less interested. We have 106 members & maybe 10 who help. The rest sit around & bitch about everything but never offer a hand. It's a great show that attracts a little of everything.
    Average age of our members is probably about 65 right now. We have a dozen over 80! Not much new blood coming into the club & everyone's getting older & busy with their families, health & life in general.
    I'm old enough to remember when being a street rodder was something to be proud of. Hell, look at the name of our club!

8. maybe another reason the shows are dying is the abundance of "cruise nights". on almost every night of the week i can attend a gathering within 30 mins of my house. no entry fee, no sitting in the hot sun, no judging, no B.S. just show up and hang out. some are organized and others are not. the "traditional" car shows where you sit in a lawn chair next to your car waiting to be judged, that's not my jelly roll! oh yea, the do wop music gets old fast.

just for reference, i'm 45 years old.

9. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

. I am 72 and it is not as easy to,do the things I did 10 years ago. Uncle arther and bad knees ,it takes longer to get the same thing done

10. Clik

Clik

A guy pulls into the local cruise night in a primer black lowered 50 Ford with lime green steel wheels, a spider web grill and a Rat Fink shifter knob on a shifter that almost goes to the headliner. He's got some rockabilly or psychobilly tunes playing. He's got his hair dyed black, slicked back and sports a chain on his wallet that goes almost to the ground. His girlfriend is a hotty and sports full sleeve tattoos and a purple tinge in her hair. My fellow geezers scoff at the guys car and make derogatory comments about the girls numerous tattoos. They shake their heads and show their obvious snobbery. THAT'S NO WAY TO PULL YOUNG FOLKS INTO THE HOBBY! It may not be exactly the way you did it in your day but at least they aren't in a Honda with a coffee can muffler and speakers bigger than the engine.

11. Gettin old ain't for the weak!!!
    Carshow in Vale @the park on july 4th & start of the 4 day rodeo.
    You guys in Ontario,Boise & Napa listening
    Car show starts @ 10am Waldleigh park Vale, Oregon

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm 25 and married with 2 kids and a house to take care of and all that blah blah. My car isn't as nice as I'd like it to be and to be honest I have more fun driving it around town and going to cruise nights then big shows. Maybe over the years as the car gets nicer ill feel like sitting in a chair by the car waiting to answer questions about it, but for now nothing is funner than throwing the kids in back and getting dinner, or following a convoy of my friends around on a drive through on the 2 lane roads In farm country.

Some of these big shows will die as the younger guys (I'm including 40-50 year olds in this) take over the clubs and scene more.

13. It may take longer, but so long as it gets done, it dont matter how long it takes.
    I'm 65, still playing in several bands, and have nearly finished my 3 1/2 year AV8 build. I too have Uncle Arther and a bad back, but every time it hurts or I cant get up off the ground, I say to myself "Just do it! The fecker aint gonna beat me". The missus thinks I'm crazy and I should be sitting and watching TV every night. Hell no! That's the way to an early grave in my book.
    I remember The Killer made an album called "39 and Holding" ...... Hell Yeah! If he can do gigs in his 80s, then I'm sure as heck gonna give it a shot.

14. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I'm 63..
    Spent the weekend working on both my cars..then helping my 21 year old son on his. Then got the cycles out a bit..109*..
    Then finished rebuilding an old amp..then blasting the Les Paul for a bit to try it out..
    Back in to the garage cleaned it and now I'm here..

Just a regular weekend like all of them for the last 40 years..
    The cars..bikes..guitars and amps..just never asked my age..

Oh yeah..car show last night also..good burgers..

Having some Coronas and lime..
    All good..enjoy what ya' got..and you live forever the same...
    Like with the bikes..you're not old cause you can't get your leg over easy..
    You're old when you don't want to..

Do what you want..want what you do..

15. krooser

krooser

I'm 63 and I'm starting a new show... did that in '09, too.

The problem is most shows are run by club or committee and you run out of volunteers pretty fast... when you run your own show, and have your $$$ on the line, you get real ambitious real fast.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

Gittin' old just plain stinks. You wake up in the morning and everything is stiff except...............

But regardless of that I'm still heading off to Bonneville in five weeks time. Gotta race while I still can. As my grannie used to say "You'll be a long time dead."

17. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

May be gettin old but just took a gasser style elcomino up the street with no hood or window glass in in it for a trial run on the project open headers 454 4 speed 411 gear and jumped on it sat it side ways and nailed 2 brought it back I aint forgot how that feels:D

18. erlomd

erlomd

I'll put a custom oxygen tank next to me if I had to...the hell with getting old...not doing what you want or not experiencing the things you want to do isn't living anyway.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The "traditional" car shows aren't "traditional"? :rolleyes:

20. up date to my earlier post on this thread

I'm way older about two years since this thread started
    I have been layed up with a bad back off and on 12 months of the last two years
    A hoverround would suit me just fine
    I did not get to 3/4 of the shows and swaps I would have liked to have gone to..
    my ride of choice has a/c and is more modern
    I have been tempted to let go the collection of 20 old cars
    but do i feel old NO
    talk old maybe a little
    wanna stay out and party you bet
    can I do what I did a few years ago .. NO FREAKIN WAY

we also have been dealin with aged parents mid 80's -90 years old
    do they want to do stuff you bet
    can they ..no way

enjoy your youth -good health while you can.... POOF and its gone

I was the guy who could complain about strollers/kids at car shows and was always thinking the car show was never too big or should have allowed newer year entrys

now just going at all is special

good luck ya whippersnappers

21. Model T1

Model T1

Holey crap that old guy up in Michigan started this thread way back two years ago. I've aged at least ten years since then. Other than that, I still love car shows and rods.
    Instead of walking thru acres of swap meet junk and more acres of cars, I buy the DVD, sit on my butt at home, and watch it. I notice all the younger guys ridin on those lectric devices, thinkin I need one of them thar things even more than a 32 Ford.
    Sometimes I go out in the garage, sit in one of my half done old cars and go Uddin uddin!.
    Discovered this HAMB place and life is good. In our minds we're still 21 and fantasizin. ;)
    On the plus side, I don't have to be polite to old guys anymore. Ain't many left but me and you!:D

And yes, Elvis left the building !

22. :D LMAO!!!

[​IMG]

23. The older I get, the better I was. :D

24. jazz1

jazz1

I had a hernia repaired this summer ,,,doctor told me "you got a 20 year old mind in control of an aging body,,,if you can't be good, be careful"

25. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

yup, I agree with you geezers, I'll be 70 in January. just bought a new ride. Got to move to apartment, sell the house due to wife's health issues so no place to work on a build and to tell the truth, not too much fire in the belly to build one from scratch. been there, done that several times in my younger days. Now i just want to hang out at cruise nights. Our club, the Kustom Kings, last meeting I was able to attend was more about who had operations, and whose wife is sick, than about cars and parts. That's what happens when your step slows and gets unsteady. Two major surgeries in last 15 months does make you reconsider that you shouldn't wait for anything anymore. Do what you can, push yourself, and just enjoy this side of the grass. My mind is still full of ideas and dreams but the reality of them happening continues to fade. I'll still hobble around Thompson Speedway swap meet, cane in hand, this November but I'll take a day or two after to recoup!

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha! oh no, people getting old and body's falling apart. so, if you have a way to stop all of this let me know - I would like to become a Billionaire - Ha!. one day at a time and do what you can when you can, as long as you are still enjoying it.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you haven't seen a bunch of old guys until you go to an "antique auto show". went to one in San Jose Sunday. the earliest car there was a 1908 something or other. looked like you should hook a horse to it. lots of T's and A's and an assortment of old stockers with the newest being 1948.

I felt like a "young whippersnapper" whatever that is.

28. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I';; be 72 in a couple months. The big difference I see is it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

29. What makes me sad about the aging of the street rod generation is that as they've gotten older and more established in careers and higher incomes they've taken the values of old tin right on up with them. I know that's a gross oversimplification, but I know my dad built his 38 Chevy with much less financial stress than I have building my 40 Ford. At 35 on a teachers salary with kids, Hot Rodding is still alive in my family because of the passion I have. I definitely cannot afford it.

Sorry, rant over.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Model T1

Model T1

I felt like a "young whippersnapper" whatever that is-:confused:Lately I've seen this several times here in posts. Even when I was one I didn't know what it was--is! And you, Dan Hay, my young whippersnapper, your dad struggled with money while building his cars just like you do today. So keep having fun and keep the hobby alive for your kids and theirs!

Posted on an old computer from home